What are your thoughts on teenagers aged 12-13 year old getting the Covid-19 vaccine?

Watch
TSR User_123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The title
Last edited by TSR User_123; 4 weeks ago
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bit unethical, at least imo. The fact that the U.K and other rich countries seem hellbent on the inoculation of everything short of the neighbours cat while poorer countries are left to their own devices, is a bit of a poopy move, for lack of expletives. Hoarding vaccines so that they can be given to low-risk groups in countries with better medical systems rather than giving them to countries with high-risk groups still unvaccinated, with poor medical systems to boot, is just asking for those countries to turn into variant factories.

Don't get me wrong, it's great we're going to see less incidence of COVID in youngsters and the like (and consequently less problems for the adults who have those kids.) I just think it's wrong that vaccines have been hoarded up for that purpose.
Last edited by Callicious; 4 weeks ago
Hellllpppp
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think if a child is fully informed it's okay eg they know it the risk to them is different than their parents/grandparents and they understand their risk from COVID is incredibly low (if they aren't clinically vulnerable of course). I think they should have to consent as well as their parents but i assume that's not the case.
lucyyy12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
honestly a bit pointless. why give it to kids who aren't affected badly by covid? high risk kids fair enough. but those vaccines could be given to more vulnerable people or people in other countries who don't have access to vaccines as easily as we do.
HorribleHatty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If they can prove that the risk of the virus is higher than the risk of the vaccine for children that age then I’m fine with it, with parental consent. I don’t believe that data exists at the minute though; so for now I’m against it.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't agree with offering the covid vaccines to anyone in the uk under 18, unless they are deemed particularly high risk and they & all the persons with parental responsibility for them are in agreement as regards accepting the vaccine.
JoshDarnIt_
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It ain't right chief
Guru Jason
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Kids can be huge carriers of the virus without showing symptoms as all adults know kids don't wash their hands or cover their mouths properly. Get them vaccinated and help protect the elderly.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Vaxx the lot of em.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It seems people have once again forgotten about Gillick competence.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/consen...ment/children/

Parental consent is not required and should not be required if Gillick competence is proven.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My 12 year old (well he's 12 on Friday) will be getting the vaccine as soon as possible, along with my 14 and 16 (well she's 16 on Saturday) year olds.
My husband is CV so as a family I think it's important we all protect each other. It's their decision but they're all of the same opinion.
That just leaves my 8 year old.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 4 weeks ago
lol.yolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think its a waste of doses. The risk for this age group is low, and we don't even know how long the vaccine provides protection for. Yes, school age children are largely responsible for spreading it, but there's no point vaccinating them until the rest of the world (adults) are also protected. All the time we spend wasting doses on very low risk groups, covid is able to spread like wild fire in other countries and mutate. One day there will be a variant that is largely resistant to the current vaccines, and we will be back to square 1.

We shouldn't be vaccinating children, we should be donating doses and helping other countries protect their vulnerable and adult populations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (155)
54.96%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.54%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
10.99%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.22%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.61%

Watched Threads