The Student Room Group

Struggling Second Year

Hi all,

My second year at uni has just begun; I enjoyed my first year because I am quite an isolated person and had the opportunity to complete my work alone at home, with online lectures and seminars. However, things are all back in-person for me this year and I have encountered a problem already. I suffered with intense anxiety issues throughout school, especially when inside a classroom (I would often excuse myself because I felt sick, sweaty, or was having a panic attack). Fortunately I didn't have any of this with online lectures/seminars last year, so I hoped I had 'grown out of it'.

Yesterday was my first in-person lecture ever, and I couldn't face going in. I thought through all the things in my head that might happen to me - vomiting in front of people, passing out, not being able to breathe (esp. with a mask), depersonalisation... and I just couldn't do it. I am now very concerned that this will destroy my academics at university, as I came top in my cohort last year - and want to continue this great run of results. I understand that lectures will be recorded but I don't know now how I will cope with seminars, especially with the dehumanising environment created by social distancing and masks.

If I could complete my degree alone in the library I would be happy, but that's not going to happen. Any advice, perhaps if anyone has been in a similar position?

Thank you.
I don't want to sound harsh but you need to get help to get over the anxiety because when you're working you'll have to interact with people.
I think a lot of people are glad things are on campus more now. I'd consider myself quite an introvert but I found last year pretty lonely and isolating. I also struggled to do the work when I was alone at home.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

My second year at uni has just begun; I enjoyed my first year because I am quite an isolated person and had the opportunity to complete my work alone at home, with online lectures and seminars. However, things are all back in-person for me this year and I have encountered a problem already. I suffered with intense anxiety issues throughout school, especially when inside a classroom (I would often excuse myself because I felt sick, sweaty, or was having a panic attack). Fortunately I didn't have any of this with online lectures/seminars last year, so I hoped I had 'grown out of it'.

Yesterday was my first in-person lecture ever, and I couldn't face going in. I thought through all the things in my head that might happen to me - vomiting in front of people, passing out, not being able to breathe (esp. with a mask), depersonalisation... and I just couldn't do it. I am now very concerned that this will destroy my academics at university, as I came top in my cohort last year - and want to continue this great run of results. I understand that lectures will be recorded but I don't know now how I will cope with seminars, especially with the dehumanising environment created by social distancing and masks.

If I could complete my degree alone in the library I would be happy, but that's not going to happen. Any advice, perhaps if anyone has been in a similar position?

Thank you.

Hi,

Sorry to hear that! :frown: I would definitely recommend speaking to your uni's wellbeing services - they will be happy to offer you support through this. The most important thing is your health and your peace, because doing anything else without those things will be more difficult. Second year is typically more challenging, and you will need to put your best foot forward in order to maintain your success at first year (big congrats on that, by the way! really well done! :smile:). Seminars are typically smaller than lectures so maybe you can ease your way into things during that time. Start by talking to the person next to you, ask lots of questions to keep them talking (people like to talk about themselves) so that will put some pressure off of you to carry the conversation. Also, you could find common ground like hobbies, interests, the course material, the pandemic and how it affected you guys...

Hope this helps. Anything else, lmk!

Samantha, Official UoP Rep
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

Thank you.

Don't worry about being alone, it's actually good in a lot of ways like you can avoid distractions. In the classroom, you say you have breathing problems with a mask, you don't legally have to wear one anymore, if it's requirements for your classroom tell your teachers that you have breathing problems. If you still have issues breathing without a mask, do you have asthma? Just take an inhaler if you do. As for the panic attacks, are they going to change anything? No. Are they make things better? No. They just make things worse so stop having them. Being alone has a lot of benefits like not getting into trouble as well because some students do. Just make sure you attend all your lectures calm and complete all your studies and remember that you are the only one who can change your future.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending