The Student Room Group

Girls of TSR. Do you prefer nice guys?

Do girls like guys who are nice and try be kind or go for guys who tend to act like d*cks?

Scroll to see replies

A bit of both is always better. Having someone who cares for you a lot and acts nice is lovely and makes you feel cared. But sometimes you want them to be a little more teasing and when they "bully" you. They're supposed to be your best friend so having a bit of everything is always nice. Not too nice but not too mean.

It's down to preference, really.
Original post by mariajv_00
A bit of both is always better. Having someone who cares for you a lot and acts nice is lovely and makes you feel cared. But sometimes you want them to be a little more teasing and when they "bully" you. They're supposed to be your best friend so having a bit of everything is always nice. Not too nice but not too mean.

It's down to preference, really.

I think teasing "bullying" is a lot different from genuine arrogance or dickishness that the OP is probably talking about though.
I agree with Maria. I like it when a guy is nice to me, i dont want to be treated horribly. But i enjoy banter where we can be "mean" to each other, so if he doesnt feel comfortable doing this i might get bored. But everyone likes different things!!
It depends what you mean by 'nice guys'.
I have no time for scumbags.
Regardless of whether they are the criminal types, habitual thugs, sordid creeps, two faced f*** boys, foul mouthed noise nuisances that want to be seen as edgy or just the average entitled jerk.
But I'm not attracted to guys that have a close family dynamic, are pacifists, have respect agendas or appease those who do.
yes, niceness is the bare minimum i would expect from anyone i meet though. they would need to have more qualities for me to think of them relationship-wise.
Who wants someone who won't treat them with respect ?
Honestly I was speaking to a guy for a while who treated me like crap but I was sexually attracted to him and kept speaking to him. I think I just felt so lonely and he was the one who was available like that. I don't think people are attracted to mean people, but they just settle with people who don't treat them with respect because they don't really understand their worth or they're lonely.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by londonmyst
Regardless of whether they are the criminal types, habitual thugs, sordid creeps, two faced f*** boys, foul mouthed noise nuisances that want to be seen as edgy or just the average entitled jerk.
But I'm not attracted to guys that have a close family dynamic, are pacifists, have respect agendas or appease those who do.

So you meet a guy everything seems great but he goes ''I'm a pacifist, londonmyst, I just love me some Bertrand Russell", you dump them?
girls don't prefer nice guys as they feel they cannot protect the family and stand his ground when there's a conflict. just an evolutionary trait

generally they do not challenge you and just agree which is seen as 'boring' so they want some a bit more fun
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Proxenus
girls don't prefer nice guys as they feel they cannot protect the family and stand his ground when there's a conflict. just an evolutionary trait

A protector isn't the same as a jerk
Original post by Moonlight Rain
A protector isn't the same as a jerk

depends on your definition of bad boy
Original post by Proxenus
depends on your definition of bad boy

I guess a lot of girls want a guy who isn't weak and if something happened, they'd want the guy to fight for them and protect them. But still a caring and sweet guy.
Original post by Anonymous
Do girls like guys who are nice and try be kind or go for guys who tend to act like d*cks?

As a girl nice guys r way more attractive, honestly the bar is so low that any nice guy doing the bare minimum is a god send. People say that girls prefer guys that are d*cks but that's BS. Guys that say that girls like men who treat them terribly r just picks me that r mad that they got rejected. Logically it doesn't make sense either, who wants someone who treats them like sh*t
Militarists everywhere!
It depends on personality, I like guys with more playful personality that is for some odd reason considered "feminine" traits anytime a guy isn't reserved?? Idk personally just like someone who can be playful and nice, isn't afraid to express themselves and their emotions. I'm not saying someone who keeps dwelling on negative emotions and wants you to be their mummy that nurtures them but just someone who knows what their weakness is and how to be vulnerable and handle that.
So...nice guys because if someone is a di*k it's only interesting for a short time before you start feeling sh*t being around them and lose interest in them.
Original post by CountBread
So you meet a guy everything seems great but he goes ''I'm a pacifist, londonmyst, I just love me some Bertrand Russell", you dump them?

Not quite.

I'd provide him with a crystal clear view of 3-5 examples of my lifestyle preferences that highlight the fact that there's no chance of a positive close relationship due to a combination of conflicting values, incompatible lifestyles and no mutual attraction.
After this, most of the pacifist guys I've met are very keen to put as much physical distance between me & themselves as speedily as they can possibly manage. :cool:
No need for me to dump them or consider any further contact.
Plenty of canine boys that make excellent bodyguards and food tasters. :run:
Not sure if there are any canine girls suited to wearing a maids outfit and being a tradwife who always submits to the will of their darling hubby. :fangs:
Original post by londonmyst

What do you mean respect agendas ?
Original post by Anonymous
What do you mean respect agendas ?

People who believe themselves entitled to command automatic respect from random strangers, are in the habit of demanding respect in relation to others or get noisy/insulting when they don't get any.
Whether the respect is for themselves, deceased ancestors, their surviving relatives, any community, religious scriptural text/religion/faith movement, political group, deceased leader or living high profile individual.
Original post by Moonlight Rain
Who wants someone who won't treat them with respect ?
Honestly I was speaking to a guy for a while who treated me like crap but I was sexually attracted to him and kept speaking to him. I think I just felt so lonely and he was the one who was available like that. I don't think people are attracted to mean people, but they just settle with people who don't treat them with respect because they don't really understand their worth or they're lonely.

But is respect something that is gained and not something that should be demanded?
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply