Oxford Modern Languages Applicants 2022

Watch
ttennitt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Unless I am mistaken, there doesn't seem to be a modern languages thread for Oxford for 2022 entry? So hello!

I'm applying for Spanish and ab initio Russian at Wadham, I do Spanish, History and Politics (and psych for a year). My predicted grades are A*A*A and my GCSEs are 999999988

Currently, I'm stressed about the MLAT and realising that grammar isn't as easy as I thought! Anyone else feeling the same?
dreamer_ms
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello!

Can EMEL students join this thread too? I'm looking to study Spanish and Hebrew at Christ Church college and my current A Levels are Spanish, French and Arabic. I have to agree that the Spanish MLAT is not straight forward...
To be honest, I think the grammar is the easiest part to revise as it's fairly logical. I suppose if your exam board provides a grammar booklet it might be worth reading that. If not, check out www.languagesonline.org.uk. They do some excellent grammar exercises.
I'm mostly worried about the translation as there's nothing much we can do to prepare. The vocabulary seems to vary throughout the years and so I don't exactly know what to revise.
By the way, that's a fab set of grades and I'm so happy for you!
ttennitt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dreamer_ms)
Hello!

Can EMEL students join this thread too? I'm looking to study Spanish and Hebrew at Christ Church college and my current A Levels are Spanish, French and Arabic. I have to agree that the Spanish MLAT is not straight forward...
To be honest, I think the grammar is the easiest part to revise as it's fairly logical. I suppose if your exam board provides a grammar booklet it might be worth reading that. If not, check out www.languagesonline.org.uk. They do some excellent grammar exercises.
I'm mostly worried about the translation as there's nothing much we can do to prepare. The vocabulary seems to vary throughout the years and so I don't exactly know what to revise.
By the way, that's a fab set of grades and I'm so happy for you!
Hello! Thank you
I've been using colby.edu recently and yeah, grammar is easy to revise but the range of vocabulary is unexpected. It's only supposed to be GCSE and year 12 content, so I doubt there'll be any rare words, but probably some false-friends!
phys_X_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's nice to see other language applicants! I'm applying for Cambridge and there doesn't seem to be many people gunning for ModLang anywhere this year
ttennitt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phys_X_)
It's nice to see other language applicants! I'm applying for Cambridge and there doesn't seem to be many people gunning for ModLang anywhere this year
It seems that most people view it as a useless degree, when in reality it leads to as many opportunities as any other humanities degree, if not more! If anything, it will make this year's application process slightly less competitive (hopefully!). And good luck for Cambridge! what languages are you applying for?
phys_X_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ttennitt)
It seems that most people view it as a useless degree, when in reality it leads to as many opportunities as any other humanities degree, if not more! If anything, it will make this year's application process slightly less competitive (hopefully!). And good luck for Cambridge! what languages are you applying for?
It's definitely a useful degree, I couldn't tell you why it gets overlooked so much. Thank you and good luck to you too! I'm going to need the luck hahaha

Spanish and ab initio Italian! Where else are you applying?
ttennitt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phys_X_)
It's definitely a useful degree, I couldn't tell you why it gets overlooked so much. Thank you and good luck to you too! I'm going to need the luck hahaha

Spanish and ab initio Italian! Where else are you applying?
Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Southampton (just for Spanish at southampton but the masters in languages!). Manchester and Bristol are probably my favourites other than Oxford. What about you?
phys_X_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Bath, Bristol, Manchester and Southampton (just for Spanish at southampton but the masters in languages!). Manchester and Bristol are probably my favourites other than Oxford. What about you?
I PMed you if that's alright
dreamer_ms
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello!!
I also don't get why people view languages as a useless degree... the world of business is so vast and languages are needed there more than ever!

Thank you for replying to my previous message, I'll try using colby.edu! Good luck to you both!!
Culver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey guys! I met my offer for French at Oxford this year, but my entry is deferred so I’ll be starting with you guys. Let me know if you have any questions about the application process e.g. personal statements, MLAT, and interviews as I can probably help you out a bit!
ttennitt
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Culver)
Hey guys! I met my offer for French at Oxford this year, but my entry is deferred so I’ll be starting with you guys. Let me know if you have any questions about the application process e.g. personal statements, MLAT, and interviews as I can probably help you out a bit!
Thank you! and congratulations!
nehapartha
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey, could you help me with the personal statement? I know I have to write about why I want to do the course and my extracurriculars and stuff, but do you know if there's anything important I can remember to write about, specifically for a Modern Languages degree?
It would be so helpful!
Sunningdalian
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello! I also plan to defer my application to Christ Church Oxford for Russian and French. I am being discouraged from doing it by my teachers who are saying that it will put me at a disadvantage. Do you think it was hard for you to defer when you were applying? Would you say you were one of the stronger students in the cohort (as in, were your grades in the top percentile)? Thank you for your time
Culver
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by nehapartha)
Hey, could you help me with the personal statement? I know I have to write about why I want to do the course and my extracurriculars and stuff, but do you know if there's anything important I can remember to write about, specifically for a Modern Languages degree?
It would be so helpful!
Writing about books and poetry (if you’re interested in literature) is always a great idea, as the course is very literature based so will show the tutors that you’re a good fit for the course! Make sure you’ve read all the books you write about though (sounds like a given but there are a lot of people that don’t!!)
spedie7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sunningdalian)
Hello! I also plan to defer my application to Christ Church Oxford for Russian and French. I am being discouraged from doing it by my teachers who are saying that it will put me at a disadvantage. Do you think it was hard for you to defer when you were applying? Would you say you were one of the stronger students in the cohort (as in, were your grades in the top percentile)? Thank you for your time
Hello! I have a deferred place for French & German at Lady Margaret Hall starting next year, so I may be able to help with these questions as well. I think before applying I had read/heard that for deferred entry you need to be among the stronger applicants, because by offering a deferred place they are making a commitment to you before they know who will be applying the following year. That said, I think if you're sure you want to take a gap year then you should go for it. If you don't get in, and you want to reapply, you could do so during your gap year without changing the timescale of when you start your course.
Honestly I still can't quite comprehend that I got offered a place, partly due to the odd mythical status surrounding Oxford which wasn't entirely dispelled by the access programmes I attended (UNIQ and subsequent talks/workshops) online, and also because I'm not that confident in my abilities. In terms of grades, I probably was quite high up, because I got all As and did more subjects compared to others (at my school, anyway), and I did well in the French section of the MLAT. Apparently my interviews were also really good but I still don't know how they reached that conclusion from the way I thought they went!
During the application process the only extra parts when you're applying are checking that the college accepts deferred entries, writing a little bit about why you're taking a gap year/what you plan to do with it in your personal statement, and possibly being asked about that in the interview. For me, I had to speak a bit in French about what I wanted to do, but it was only a couple of sentences so nothing major to worry about. I think they just want to know that the time will be worthwhile and constructive!
Let me know if you have any questions
Culver
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Sunningdalian)
Hey! Sorry I forgot to reply to this. I didn’t actually choose to defer, the university made me defer as they thought it’d be best for me due to some horrible things that had happened around the interview time, so I’d have a year to recover. If you have a choice, I wouldn’t recommend deferring unless you have something very useful to do during your gap year that relates to your subject (the tutors will want to know your plans), and if you have enough money to get a language tutor to keep up your language skills (as you’ll lose them quickly without practice) - I’m currently working 30 hours a week as I’m really struggling to fund french tutoring for myself and pay family bills on top of that, and I would much rather have just gone to uni this year if Oxford let me!!

I wouldn’t say I’m in the top grade percentile, however it’s incredibly unusual for Oxford to defer someone when they didn’t ask to be deferred (usually when they run out of spaces or whatever they’ll just reject the applicant) so I must’ve been alright!

Sorry for the delay in reply
Last edited by Culver; 1 week ago
spedie7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I hope you don’t mind me replying to this! Not sure if you saw my post above but I’m going to be doing French at Oxford next year too I’m sorry to hear that they didn’t let you start this year - that’s such a shame given that you wanted to. Though my gap year was voluntary I’m also struggling a little bit with keeping my language skills up, but I’ve not got a personal tutor (primarily because of cost). That said, I’ve found italki really helpful for learning Italian, which is a side-project of mine. There are plenty of tutors on there who offer a pretty affordable hourly rate (compared to other one-on-one tuition) for conversation practice, which is what I’m doing. I can’t comment on actually being tutored (in grammar etc) but I find speaking is a really effective way of keeping up skills. The girl I found is a language student herself and we have really interesting conversations which I get a lot out of linguistically and personally (it’s just fun!). Also there’s this great function where you can make a post to the community feed and native speakers/tutors will correct it. That part’s completely free, and it’s interesting to see what different people suggest as corrections. Again, I hope you don’t mind this reply - I struggled with ideas for keeping up my French/German that didn’t involve spending lots on language classes so I’m trying to share what I came up with in case it can help others.
Last edited by spedie7; 1 week ago
Culver
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by spedie7)
Hey, I hope you don’t mind me replying to this! Not sure if you saw my post above but I’m going to be doing French at Oxford next year too I’m sorry to hear that they didn’t let you start this year - that’s such a shame given that you wanted to. Though my gap year was voluntary I’m also struggling a little bit with keeping my language skills up, but I’ve not got a personal tutor (primarily because of cost). That said, I’ve found italki really helpful for learning Italian, which is a side-project of mine. There are plenty of tutors on there who offer a pretty affordable hourly rate (compared to other one-on-one tuition) for conversation practice, which is what I’m doing. I can’t comment on actually being tutored (in grammar etc) but I find speaking is a really effective way of keeping up skills. The girl I found is a language student herself and we have really interesting conversations which I get a lot out of linguistically and personally (it’s just fun!). Also there’s this great function where you can make a post to the community feed and native speakers/tutors will correct it. That part’s completely free, and it’s interesting to see what different people suggest as corrections. Again, I hope you don’t mind this reply - I struggled with ideas for keeping up my French/German that didn’t involve spending lots on language classes so I’m trying to share what I came up with in case it can help others.
That’s amazing, thanks so much for the ideas and congrats for getting into Oxford next year as well! I appreciate your reply a lot! What college will you be at?
spedie7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That’s amazing, thanks so much for the ideas and congrats for getting into Oxford next year as well! I appreciate your reply a lot! What college will you be at?
Thank you! I’ll be at Lady Margaret Hall. I’m so excited! Do you read much in French? If so, what do you like?
Culver
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by spedie7)
Thank you! I’ll be at Lady Margaret Hall. I’m so excited! Do you read much in French? If so, what do you like?
Oh awesome, I love LMH it’s so pretty!! I’ll be at Oriel. French literature is great! My favourite book so far is Bonjour Tristesse. I saw it on the A level reading list (my A level book was Un Secret, which was also really good) so I thought I’d give it a go and I loved it - there’s so much you can read deeper into and link together. What do you read?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (216)
56.4%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.05%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (44)
11.49%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.62%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
6.01%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (17)
4.44%

Watched Threads