Mistake in marking what can I do?

Watch
imreallyscrewed
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all, I had an exam, and was very confident about it but ended up getting 10/100. Anyways I just did the referral and got 10/10 again! I sent my papers to a third-party tutor to mark them and he said I got much higher than the pass mark. What can I do? I am very frustrated and confused.
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imreallyscrewed)
Hi all, I had an exam, and was very confident about it but ended up getting 10/100. Anyways I just did the referral and got 10/10 again! I sent my papers to a third-party tutor to mark them and he said I got much higher than the pass mark. What can I do? I am very frustrated and confused.
Ask whoever marked it to go over it with u
Bring the 3rd party into it and get them to explain what they think u got and why
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by spectrum84)
Ask whoever marked it to go over it with u
Bring the 3rd party into it and get them to explain what they think u got and why
It may not be that simple, universities will normally have a very well defined process setting how you can and cannot challenge an exam mark or ask for an administrative review. The first thing for the OP to do is find out about their local process. It’s possible that it’s just an adding up error and if they have a good case, it’s simple to ask for that to be checked.

At my institution the marker of an exam (as distinct from say a lab report – where extensive written feedback is given) would be forbidden from engaging directly with a student on a question like this. Everything has to go through a separate examinations officer to minimise potential bias and avoid grade grubbing. Adding an external 3rd party into the process without prior agreement would not be allowed and result in instant termination of a review meeting.
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mr Wednesday)
It may not be that simple, universities will normally have a very well defined process setting how you can and cannot challenge an exam mark or ask for an administrative review. The first thing for the OP to do is find out about their local process. It’s possible that it’s just an adding up error and if they have a good case, it’s simple to ask for that to be checked.

At my institution the marker of an exam (as distinct from say a lab report – where extensive written feedback is given) would be forbidden from engaging directly with a student on a question like this. Everything has to go through a separate examinations officer to minimise potential bias and avoid grade grubbing. Adding an external 3rd party into the process without prior agreement would not be allowed and result in instant termination of a review meeting.
Oh right I didnt know that
This is good advice op
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (114)
86.36%
No (18)
13.64%

Watched Threads