Medical Interviews

Watch this thread
Bionet
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hey Guys,

I hope everyone had a good summer! I was just wondering about a couple of questions regarding medical interviews:

How likely is it to get an offer after interview? Can you intensely prepare for the interview and get to the stage where you do consistently well enough to almost guarantee an offer, or it is almost like luck? Would it be safe to say with enough practise, I should be able to do consistently well enough at interview to get an offer? I am worried about applying to only “very competitive” medical schools, as I am unsure if I would need a stronger interview performance to get an offer as opposed to applying to a “lower ranked” medical school.

For example, let’s say the interviews were exactly the same at Kings and Anglia Ruskin medical school, and they were ranked out of 50. If I needed 40/50 to get into Kings, would a score of 35/50 would be enough to get an offer to Anglia Ruskin, due to varying levels of competitiveness? Or would they both require a similar score of 40/50 to get an offer? This will help dictate my final choices I think.

I know that all medical schools are competitive and they all give you the same qualifications which is why I have put terms such as “more competitive” in quotation marks. The medical schools I have mentioned are purely for the sake of argument!

Based on my qualifications I should get most of my interviews.

Thank you all very much for any constructive advice!
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Bionet)
Hey Guys,

I hope everyone had a good summer! I was just wondering about a couple of questions regarding medical interviews:

How likely is it to get an offer after interview? Can you intensely prepare for the interview and get to the stage where you do consistently well enough to almost guarantee an offer, or it is almost like luck? Would it be safe to say with enough practise, I should be able to do consistently well enough at interview to get an offer? I am worried about applying to only “very competitive” medical schools, as I am unsure if I would need a stronger interview performance to get an offer as opposed to applying to a “lower ranked” medical school.

For example, let’s say the interviews were exactly the same at Kings and Anglia Ruskin medical school, and they were ranked out of 50. If I needed 40/50 to get into Kings, would a score of 35/50 would be enough to get an offer to Anglia Ruskin, due to varying levels of competitiveness? Or would they both require a similar score of 40/50 to get an offer? This will help dictate my final choices I think.

I know that all medical schools are competitive and they all give you the same qualifications which is why I have put terms such as “more competitive” in quotation marks. The medical schools I have mentioned are purely for the sake of argument!

Based on my qualifications I should get most of my interviews.

Thank you all very much for any constructive advice!
ARU has one of the most competitive interview to offer ratios and Kings one of the least competitive....
Bionet
Rep:
(Original post by GANFYD)
ARU has one of the most competitive interview to offer ratios and Kings one of the least competitive....
As I said above, these examples are purely for the sake of the argument. Old medical school (arguably more competitive in general) vs newer medical school.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get this data from! I would really benefit in finding unis that have a low competitive interview to offer ratio.
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
I think generally the biggest challenge is getting interviews - which is why it’s so important to apply strategically. No point in picking unis by their interview to offer ratio if your stats would be more likely to get you interviews elsewhere x

Also, the interviews are structured differently at every uni, they all value slightly different things in their prospective students. For example some unis count the ucat SJT band as part of the interview scoring, some have a maths station, some want to see evidence of voluntary work - it’s not as easy as one uni wanting 35/50 and another wanting 40/50
Last edited by AnnaBananana; 7 months ago
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Bionet)
As I said above, these examples are purely for the sake of the argument. Old medical school (arguably more competitive in general) vs newer medical school.

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you get this data from! I would really benefit in finding unis that have a low competitive interview to offer ratio.
Exactly what AnnaBananana has said. If you interview well, you have a great chance of an offer, if you don't, you have a much lower chance. I was just showing that your supposition that "old" medicals schools are more competitive than new ones is not the case at all.
You can look up FOIs for interview to offer ratio, but this should be the very bottom of the list when making decisions about where to apply
Bionet
Rep:
Thanks everyone for the responses! I have high UCAT, GCSE and A level predictions so should hopefully get most interviews, which is why I am looking at interview to offer ratio!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (144)
29.15%
It went fairly well (234)
47.37%
It didn't go too well (74)
14.98%
TERRIBLE! (42)
8.5%

Watched Threads