The Student Room Group

Is 24 and 19 too big of an age gap?

We both work part time in a supermarket while at Uni.
She's in her 2nd year and I'm in 3rd (after changing courses and what not).
So we're at a similar point in life in that sense.

But I'm 24 and she's 19.
She's the same age as my little sister.
While she doesn't seem it it's strange to think they're the same age.. I'd never consider dating one of her friends, so even the fact that they're the same age is rubbing me the wrong way.

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't consider it to be a big age gap, no. But if it makes you uncomfortable, then it probably is significant for you.
Reply 2
Original post by jenerous
I wouldn't consider it to be a big age gap, no. But if it makes you uncomfortable, then it probably is significant for you.

I mean I rarely even think about it, but I'm helping my sister get ready to start Uni and it's not sticking in my head that they're the same age.

She still seems more mature than my sister and her friends..
I think I'm actually the same age as her brother too
No, you are both adults at uni and the five year age gap is fine. :smile:
I date with a minimum 15 year age gap.
It's fine, carry on.
Reply 5
It’s quite big in my option just date someone your own age
it’s fine legally but if you feel uncomfortable with it that is your choice.
Original post by Anonymous
We both work part time in a supermarket while at Uni.
She's in her 2nd year and I'm in 3rd (after changing courses and what not).
So we're at a similar point in life in that sense.

But I'm 24 and she's 19.
She's the same age as my little sister.
While she doesn't seem it it's strange to think they're the same age.. I'd never consider dating one of her friends, so even the fact that they're the same age is rubbing me the wrong way.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear and that you were looking for assurance, but yes, it is too big. The relationship is inappropriate. You may be in a similar place academically but you're worlds apart developmentally; a young person's brain doesn't finish developing until the age of 24 so you're very much in different stages of life. Your girlfriend is still just a teenager and does not yet have the mind of a fully established adult. She was 10 when you were 15. However mature she is, it's not as much as she thinks, and she'll realise this in a few years' time. She needs space to grow up properly, continue her cognitive and emotional development and have the chance to date people her own age. You too will be better off ultimately, seeing somebody in the same place you are. Best of luck
It is in the sense that you won't be in the same place mentally, and you're going to pick up on it real quick once you start dating. Better to date someone around the same age as you.
Nah that's the age my parents were when they got married
girls tend to emotionally mature faster so unless its a problem for you its not a problem
Is she fit?
I personally wouldn’t, I’m 19 myself and can’t imagine dating a 24 year old..
Honestly I would date a 24 year old if I was 19 so yeah
Original post by Moonlight Rain
Honestly I would date a 24 year old if I was 19 so yeah

I don't 'feel' 24, probably because I'm still at Uni and I'm working part time hanging around with people who are all 19-22.
I think she actually likes the fact that I'm older.

There's a girl at work who's going on 22, her boyfriend is 26, she's going into a masters, he's done his and is working full time, they seem quite happy!
Original post by Anonymous
I don't 'feel' 24, probably because I'm still at Uni and I'm working part time hanging around with people who are all 19-22.
I think she actually likes the fact that I'm older.

There's a girl at work who's going on 22, her boyfriend is 26, she's going into a masters, he's done his and is working full time, they seem quite happy!

Women on average do prefer guys that are older.

I as guy personally wont date an 19 year old at 24, my cut off would be 21ish.

That being said I have seen plenty of 18-19-20 year old women dating men in their 30s back in highschool, so it doesnt really come off as a shock to me compared to the first time I heard it.

I still think its a bit strange, wouldnt use ''weird'' as thats a strong word, but I came to realise men and women are vastly different in relationships. I have yet to see the reverse of a young 19 year old dude dating a women aged 25-30 etc...
Original post by londonmyst
No, you are both adults at uni and the five year age gap is fine. :smile:
I date with a minimum 15 year age gap.

'I date with a minimum 15 year age gap.'
I mean huge age gap relationships have their benefits.

And I mean thinking about it, there are three core requirements, as long as the relationship is healthy, with no coercion and abuse then it's fine in my book, for every relationship no matter the age.

What do you think?
Original post by AnonFromEu
Women on average do prefer guys that are older.

I as guy personally wont date an 19 year old at 24, my cut off would be 21ish.

That being said I have seen plenty of 18-19-20 year old women dating men in their 30s back in highschool, so it doesnt really come off as a shock to me compared to the first time I heard it.

I still think its a bit strange, wouldnt use ''weird'' as thats a strong word, but I came to realise men and women are vastly different in relationships. I have yet to see the reverse of a young 19 year old dude dating a women aged 25-30 etc...

'Women on average do prefer guys that are older.'
For evolutionary reasons, and it begins from puberty. Though there's a boatload of variation in this, with some high school girls preferring people in their 30s.

'That being said I have seen plenty of 18-19-20 year old women dating men in their 30s back in highschool, so it doesnt really come off as a shock to me compared to the first time I heard it.'
As long as the relationship is healthy, with no coercion and abuse, it's fine.

'I still think its a bit strange, wouldnt use ''weird'' as thats a strong word, but I came to realise men and women are vastly different in relationships'
Yes you're right, it dates back to our caveman times.
I want to clarify some things.

Myth 1: 24 and 19 is a really huge age gap.
Truth: Stop exaggerating five years, considering that we have decent examples of 16 year olds dating men in their 30s, healthy relationship with no coercion and abuse.

And we as humans tend to judge the unusual negatively, when in reality something being unusual is just that, unusual.
For instance relatively large age gaps in relationships.
Original post by justlearning1469
I want to clarify some things.

Myth 1: 24 and 19 is a really huge age gap.
Truth: Stop exaggerating five years, considering that we have decent examples of 16 year olds dating men in their 30s, healthy relationship with no coercion and abuse.

And we as humans tend to judge the unusual negatively, when in reality something being unusual is just that, unusual.
For instance relatively large age gaps in relationships.

Idk where you live, but dating 16 year olds as a 30 year old man is not only really fcking creepy but very illegal to.
I cant even fathom why someone would do that unless they are borderline pedo.

a 16 year old teenage girl still acts and looks like a grown child.

Quick Reply

Latest