Reapplying for student finance when resitting Final Year Project module (40 credits)

Watch
sabir2012
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am on a BEng Mechanical engineering course with a foundation year. For the year 20/21 I did my final year but due to mental health issues which got out of hand I didn’t submit my Final Year Project (FYP) which is worth 40 credits. The University has decided to defer the module to the year 21/22. The module has 36 hours (inc. 2 hours of lectures) of project work (individual work).

The degree programme details has updated to show ‘Type of Attendance: Part Time – Repeating with attendance’. I still haven’t received any information about how much needs to be paid for the resit or the enrolment form/email yet.

What I would like to know is:

1. Since I have technically received 4 years-worth of student finance (Ft, Y1, Y2, F) is it still possible to receive tuition and maintenance for the resit year?
  2. Do I need to inform Student Finance England that I am retaking the year for my FYP module or will the University take care of that? If not, through what method should they be informed (email, telephone etc.)?
  3. When reapplying, it asks if I am applying for full-time or part-time. Which would be appropriate for my situation?
  4. The University has a tuition deadline of 31st October. If I reapply now, would the University receive its payment on time?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by sabir2012)
I am on a BEng Mechanical engineering course with a foundation year. For the year 20/21 I did my final year but due to mental health issues which got out of hand I didn’t submit my Final Year Project (FYP) which is worth 40 credits. The University has decided to defer the module to the year 21/22. The module has 36 hours (inc. 2 hours of lectures) of project work (individual work).

The degree programme details has updated to show ‘Type of Attendance: Part Time – Repeating with attendance’. I still haven’t received any information about how much needs to be paid for the resit or the enrolment form/email yet.

What I would like to know is:

1. Since I have technically received 4 years-worth of student finance (Ft, Y1, Y2, F) is it still possible to receive tuition and maintenance for the resit year?
  2. Do I need to inform Student Finance England that I am retaking the year for my FYP module or will the University take care of that? If not, through what method should they be informed (email, telephone etc.)?
  3. When reapplying, it asks if I am applying for full-time or part-time. Which would be appropriate for my situation?
  4. The University has a tuition deadline of 31st October. If I reapply now, would the University receive its payment on time?
Hi, students can receive funding for the length of the course plus one additional year.

If you have not used your additional year, then you can be funded to repeat the year/modules.

I will answer your questions in order.

1. For a 4 year course with an integrated foundation year you can be funded(based on calculation above) 4+1-? = ?
The question mark depends on if you have had previous study before this course, if you have not then you have 5 years of funding available.

2. No, you just need to select the year you are repeating when you apply.

If you are not studying the full year, you will need to ask the university to contact us to confirm the start/end dates and you won't be entitled to the full year worth of funding.

3. You are on a full time course, so full time.

4. It can take up to 8 weeks to be assessed. The university will extend their deadline if needed.

Thanks, Isaac
sabir2012
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, students can receive funding for the length of the course plus one additional year.

If you have not used your additional year, then you can be funded to repeat the year/modules.

I will answer your questions in order.

1. For a 4 year course with an integrated foundation year you can be funded(based on calculation above) 4+1-? = ?
The question mark depends on if you have had previous study before this course, if you have not then you have 5 years of funding available.

2. No, you just need to select the year you are repeating when you apply.

If you are not studying the full year, you will need to ask the university to contact us to confirm the start/end dates and you won't be entitled to the full year worth of funding.

3. You are on a full time course, so full time.

4. It can take up to 8 weeks to be assessed. The university will extend their deadline if needed.

Thanks, Isaac
On my online student finance account there is only the application for year 20/21 showing with no option to reapply. I tried clicking the blue 're-apply or start another application' button but that starts up a whole new application disregarding the application which included my foundation, 1st, 2nd and 3rd years, asking for evidence (which I already submitted for my main application) and info about previous study (start and END date).

Does this mean I cannot get funding for this year wich is £3083? or do I need to open up a new application separate from the main one?
sabir2012
Rep:
?
On my online student finance account there is only the application for year 20/21 showing with no option to reapply. I tried clicking the blue 're-apply or start another application' button but that starts up a whole new application disregarding the application which included my foundation, 1st, 2nd and 3rd years, asking for evidence (which I already submitted for my main application) and info about previous study (start and END date).

Does this mean I cannot get funding for this year wich is £3083? or do I need to open up a new application separate from the main one?
To add to the previous problem, when I tried to change my loan (as I couldn't figure out what to press), it says I have receive all my payment. I don't know if it is referring to that particular year (20/21) or whether I have received the complete funding for my course (I believe it said this).
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

To add to the previous problem, when I tried to change my loan (as I couldn't figure out what to press), it says I have receive all my payment. I don't know if it is referring to that particular year (20/21) or whether I have received the complete funding for my course (I believe it said this).
The system thinks you have graduated, so you need to click to create a new application. Why are you changing your loan if you have not even applied yet? That does not make sense, please clarify.

Thanks, Isaac
sabir2012
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
The system thinks you have graduated, so you need to click to create a new application. Why are you changing your loan if you have not even applied yet? That does not make sense, please clarify.

Thanks, Isaac
That was me trying to find out how to reapply for a retake year. I ended up clicking the change button on my 20/21 application.

I ended up contacting SFE via telephone and was told to fill in a PR1 form and send it via post. Also my fee for 21/22 is £0 as it is classed as my 1st attempt. So I just sent the application for maintenance by post.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That was me trying to find out how to reapply for a retake year. I ended up clicking the change button on my 20/21 application.

I ended up contacting SFE via telephone and was told to fill in a PR1 form and send it via post. Also my fee for 21/22 is £0 as it is classed as my 1st attempt. So I just sent the application for maintenance by post.
You can send in a PR1 form but it's easier to apply online.

If you apply online the system will think you are a new student and then we can get the assessors to change your application to a returning student.

Glad to hear you got everything resolved, I hope you have a great Sunday.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (214)
56.76%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.26%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (42)
11.14%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.75%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed