UddinSh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m currently studying maths economics and chemistry at a level and I was very set on chemical engineering at university but now I’m starting to have doubts.

I’m thinking of doing a degree apprenticeship in either finance or engineering because I can’t afford to go live out for uni.

Has anyone got any advice or experiences with uni or an apprenticeship that might help me decide what to do?
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I completed a degree apprenticeship in engineering.
Let me know what you want to know.

Might be worth reviewing some past posts with similar questions.
UddinSh
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Chris2892)
I completed a degree apprenticeship in engineering.
Let me know what you want to know.

Might be worth reviewing some past posts with similar questions.
Hi thank you for replying!
I have been through a few posts but I couldn’t find the answers I was looking for unfortunately. Could u tell me how u found ur degree apprenticeship as in the study/ work balance, did u move out? And what was ur day to day life within the degree apprenticeship? Also what would be the pros and cons of ur degree apprenticeship specifically.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by UddinSh)
Hi thank you for replying!
I have been through a few posts but I couldn’t find the answers I was looking for unfortunately. Could u tell me how u found ur degree apprenticeship as in the study/ work balance, did u move out? And what was ur day to day life within the degree apprenticeship? Also what would be the pros and cons of ur degree apprenticeship specifically.
To start off, I was very lucky. My degree apprenticeship was with a very prestigious company that invested heavily in my development. Not all employers are equal in quality of apprenticeship development.
Its basically like this:
Best full time university experience - top uni
Best apprenticeship experience - top employer

the study/work balance,
Inbetween studies and just working, it’s great.... flexible hours, no time sheet, home working when required (even before covid).

However, when doing university alongside full time work, it was extremely demanding. There were times I had to work/study 12 hour days, 7 days a week, for a couple of months straight. This was mainly around exam time or when the university dropped multiple assignments on me.

did u move out?
I didn’t, I was lucky that it was only 5 miles from home.
Other apprentices got a mortgage, rented, or stayed in shared accommodation.

I joined my local universities student union as a guest to make new friends who were going through the same study pain as me. Joining the societies helped me take my mind off studies.

what was ur day to day life within the degree apprenticeship?
Constantly being challenged and being trained, forever feeling like I knew nothing. But this is normal. As each year passed, my responsibilities increased, my projects became more challenging, and I became a more valued team member.

Also what would be the pros and cons of ur degree apprenticeship specifically.

Pros:
I finished with 5 years of relevant work experience.
I can work independently without supervision.
I’m considered a valuable and competent team member.
I’ve developed good interpersonal skills from learning on the job.
No debt - I can easily afford a mortgage.
I automatically had my foot in the door with a top employer and got a full time job in my chosen department.

Cons
It was very hard

Happy to delve into more detail about any of the above. Tried to keep it shortish.
Last edited by Chris2892; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (172)
55.84%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
14.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (34)
11.04%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (27)
8.77%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed