PrithiSubatira
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi there

I am 18 years old and an international student doing A Levels, planning to pursue medicine as an undergraduate programme. I have a huge interest in medicine, aiming and working hard to apply to University City London (UCL), Imperial College London and Glasgow university. I will be completing my A Levels study at the age of 20.

A part of me is worried I will be starting medical school a little late. Was just wondering what is the majority age of students enrolling into medicine course ? Would I be the oldest student in first year ? What age do most students start medicine in the universities I have mentioned ? Would I be able to fit in despite my age ? Would my age affect my medical school application or my studies and university experience as well as graduating at the age of 25/26 affect my foundation programme and postgraduate studies ? Is the plan to do a 6-year medicine programme or 5-year programme at the age of 20 wiser ? Just quite anxious about this matter :")

Also, would really like advise on extra curriculars I should join. Any tips or suggestions of clubs or activities that could give me a boost for med school application ?

Thank you so much for the help and advise. Really do appreciate it.
medicphd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No one will care, or even realise unless you tell them. It will have absolutely no bearing on the rest of your career. People frequently go into medicine as a second career, take gap years, take time out, do extra degrees etc.

The best extra activities for medicine is volunteering or employment in a caring environment. It gives you an idea of the vocation and experiences you can talk about in your personal statement/interviews.
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PrithiSubatira)
Hi there

I am 18 years old and an international student doing A Levels, planning to pursue medicine as an undergraduate programme. I have a huge interest in medicine, aiming and working hard to apply to University City London (UCL), Imperial College London and Glasgow university. I will be completing my A Levels study at the age of 20.

A part of me is worried I will be starting medical school a little late. Was just wondering what is the majority age of students enrolling into medicine course ? Would I be the oldest student in first year ? What age do most students start medicine in the universities I have mentioned ? Would I be able to fit in despite my age ? Would my age affect my medical school application or my studies and university experience as well as graduating at the age of 25/26 affect my foundation programme and postgraduate studies ? Is the plan to do a 6-year medicine programme or 5-year programme at the age of 20 wiser ? Just quite anxious about this matter :")

Also, would really like advise on extra curriculars I should join. Any tips or suggestions of clubs or activities that could give me a boost for med school application ?

Thank you so much for the help and advise. Really do appreciate it.
No u won't be the oldest :laugh:
Loads of applicants take gap years, apply as grads, 20 isn't the oldest age at all. The minimum age is 18 but not everyone gets in first time. U can do either 5/6 year. Foundation year courses are more competitive to get into but if ur eligible to apply and have got the grades, there's no harm in it.

As a med applicant u could try to do volunteering and maybe shadowing GP's. U can also try to do online work experience to build ur understanding of a medical career
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads