How to convert £0.075/kWh into £/t(CO2)?

Watch
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The question is as follows:
A battery generates electricity at a cost of £0.2/kWh. The government wants to switch from diesel to batteries. What should the carbon tax in £/t(CO2) be so that both generating methods have the same cost?
I got the cost of diesel generation as £0.125/kWh, so the deficit is £0.075/kWh. How can I compute the tax? I have tried converting the energy back to mass in t.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 8013)
The question is as follows:
A battery generates electricity at a cost of £0.2/kWh. The government wants to switch from diesel to batteries. What should the carbon tax in £/t(CO2) be so that both generating methods have the same cost?
I got the cost of diesel generation as £0.125/kWh, so the deficit is £0.075/kWh. How can I compute the tax? I have tried converting the energy back to mass in t.
A battery doesn’t generate electrical energy, it just stores it. Electrical generators come in several forms both clean & fossil fuel based and their is embedded carbon in all of these as you need to look at what percentage of the grid is carbonised and how much carbon is generated per kwh.

You need to figure out the amount of CO2 generated per kwh of diesel (which will vary for every engine & engine map, and vehicle).

Then figure out how much more carbon per kwh is used in a BEV v average diesel vehicle, then calculate the proportional difference to calculate the tax.

Their are entire academic LCA studies on this topic. Its a poor question, written by someone who doesn’t really know what they are asking.
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
A battery doesn’t generate electrical energy, it just stores it. Electrical generators come in several forms both clean & fossil fuel based and their is embedded carbon in all of these as you need to look at what percentage of the grid is carbonised and how much carbon is generated per kwh.

You need to figure out the amount of CO2 generated per kwh of diesel (which will vary for every engine & engine map, and vehicle).

Then figure out how much more carbon per kwh is used in a BEV v average diesel vehicle, then calculate the proportional difference to calculate the tax.

Their are entire academic LCA studies on this topic. Its a poor question, written by someone who doesn’t really know what they are asking.
Name:  IMG_20210921_231955.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  214.7 KB
Actual question, stuck in part D.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 8013)
Name:  IMG_20210921_231955.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  214.7 KB
Actual question, stuck in part D.
I see this makes more sense, it means electric battery pre-grid charged. Vs diesel and ICE driving a MGU.

Well you have the value of your cost of electricity by extracting from diesel or battery. What do you have to multiply the diesel by such that it equates to that off the battery cost....
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
I see this makes more sense, it means electric battery pre-grid charged. Vs diesel and ICE driving a MGU.

Well you have the value of your cost of electricity by extracting from diesel or battery. What do you have to multiply the diesel by such that it equates to that off the battery cost....
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (153)
54.64%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (41)
14.64%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.07%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.29%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.64%

Watched Threads