What happens if you fail your final year at uni?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Obviously I would fail but what options do we have and do we at least get some sort of certificate to say we’ve at least done something? I haven’t started my year yet but just curious because university brings down my mental health so bad these days that by the end of 2nd year, especially the last 2 months I went down to a third on the last module. Also because of covid my skills are terrible because we had practically like no lessons on it.
I do product design and personally I’d like to do graphic design in the end or something different as it just gives me anxiety now. Will I be able to still make it if I failed and didn’t get my degree?
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Depends how badly you fail if you get less than 360 points but more than 160 CAT points you will get an ordinary degree? A degree without honours . It can be a good ordinary degree but you still don’t have honours. Beyond that you will get certificates for the units you passed but no degree but that option is usually reserved for those who dropout before completing their program.
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Obviously I would fail but what options do we have and do we at least get some sort of certificate to say we’ve at least done something? I haven’t started my year yet but just curious because university brings down my mental health so bad these days that by the end of 2nd year, especially the last 2 months I went down to a third on the last module. Also because of covid my skills are terrible because we had practically like no lessons on it.
I do product design and personally I’d like to do graphic design in the end or something different as it just gives me anxiety now. Will I be able to still make it if I failed and didn’t get my degree?
Hello there!

Sorry to hear about how you've been feeling, doing a degree is hard work and I can appreciate covid would not have helped! If it's helpful to know, you'll probably have a lot of options (but don't assume you'll fail!) - for example, you can probably think about transferring if you did want to take up graphic design instead of product design. Furthermore, you can potentially retake the year, or the module with the fail grade - I know somebody in my class failed their dissertation module so they just had to write it and hand it in basically.
Definitely chat with your tutor/institution as they'll have things in place, including a student support team that may be able to help with how you're feeling!

Hope that helps!
Jess
Student Ambassador and MA Illustration Student
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It will depend on the university's regulations, but in many cases if you've successfully completed the second year of a degree course you can leave with a Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE). And as jonathanemptage indicates, if you pass enough credits in year 3 you might be eligible for an ordinary degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.48%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (62)
13.45%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.41%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.89%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.34%

Watched Threads