Nursing then medicine straight away, or work first & how long?

Watch
Aarinn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I am on a nursing course but have developed an interest to study medicine, but it's just that idk what to do after graduating as a nurse.

Like would I apply for medicine straight away, or do I work as a nurse a couple years & then apply for med cuz then I'll have some experiences I can talk about if I get invited to interview.

Also, how long do I have to work as a nurse to apply to medicine? & i'm damn sure they'll ask why you wnna change careers - & I won't know what to say.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Aarinn; 4 weeks ago
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ultimately it's up to you. I'd probably work as a nurse for a while, get preceptorship out of the way and have a fall back plan should medicine fall through or take longer than expected, but I'm someone who always likes to have a plan B.
asclepeion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aarinn)
& i'm damn sure they'll ask why you wnna change careers - & I won't know what to say.
Surely you have your own reasons for wanting to change careers as your thread is about wanting to pursue medicine even though you’re studying nursing.
What has prompted your interest in medicine?
Aarinn
Rep:
?
t

(Original post by moonkatt)
Ultimately it's up to you. I'd probably work as a nurse for a while, get preceptorship out of the way and have a fall back plan should medicine fall through or take longer than expected, but I'm someone who always likes to have a plan B.
thanks for the reply!
Just want to ask on a personal level: how long would you work as a nurse to finally apply to med?
Aarinn
Rep:
?
(Original post by asclepeion)
Surely you have your own reasons for wanting to change careers as your thread is about wanting to pursue medicine even though you’re studying nursing.
What has prompted your interest in medicine?
Hello thanks for your reply!
I recently got the opportunity to shadow doctors & see their day to day work life which attracted me to think about medicine
Last edited by Aarinn; 4 weeks ago
asclepeion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Aarinn)
Hello thanks for your reply!
I recently got the opportunity to shadow doctors & see their day to day work life which attracted me to think about medicine
So then if they asked you why you wanna change careers then just think about what you saw on shadowing that differs from what nursing could offer you and then give an answer based on that
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
are you upto the training demands go for it. no point in doing years of nursing.
Granny_Sarah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Don’t delay - hard to get back into studying
Granny_Sarah
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Consider two year physician associate programme
Aarinn
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Granny_Sarah)
Don’t delay - hard to get back into studying
Hello and thank you for your reply.

It's just that I am thinking if I don't work, then I won't be able to fund the medical degree afterwards, also the interviewer will end up asking why I did nursing and didn't practice - then what was the point of the nursing degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (266)
57.45%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (63)
13.61%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.37%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (41)
8.86%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.4%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.32%

Watched Threads