The Student Room Group

Orthoptics 2022

Hi
Im studying English literature, psychology and business studies and have been predicted AAB. I have my heart set on applying for Orthoptics at Liverpool uni as they accept psychology as a science which Sheffield and Glasgow don’t. Is it worth applying to Sheffield anyway with my science as psychology or will it be completely rejected? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thank you in advance 😊
Reply 1
Original post by Lisam1923
Hi
Im studying English literature, psychology and business studies and have been predicted AAB. I have my heart set on applying for Orthoptics at Liverpool uni as they accept psychology as a science which Sheffield and Glasgow don’t. Is it worth applying to Sheffield anyway with my science as psychology or will it be completely rejected? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thank you in advance 😊

Why don't you contact the admissions department at them two Universities before applying that way you could put another University down instead... Just ask them is there any flexibility and see the response.
Reply 2
Original post by Ash1234
Why don't you contact the admissions department at them two Universities before applying that way you could put another University down instead... Just ask them is there any flexibility and see the response.

Thank you so much that’s a great idea 💡 will contact them tomorrow 👍
Hi

Hi there!

I'm a 3rd year Orthoptics student from the Uni of Sheffield so thought I would pop in and say hi. My best advice would be to do as mentioned by Ash1234 and contact the departments. Sheffield does state sciences are Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry but that said I do know of a few students who didn't study any of these but I am unsure of the circumstances of their application, therefore I would recommend just sending an email to check. For Sheffield the email is [email protected] and they should give you some more info on this. In the meantime if you have any questions about Orthoptics feel free to ask I have a thread on the student room linked here and there some other threads on the student room too which have some useful info :smile:

Hope this helps,

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi there!

I'm a 3rd year Orthoptics student from the Uni of Sheffield so thought I would pop in and say hi. My best advice would be to do as mentioned by Ash1234 and contact the departments. Sheffield does state sciences are Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry but that said I do know of a few students who didn't study any of these but I am unsure of the circumstances of their application, therefore I would recommend just sending an email to check. For Sheffield the email is [email protected] and they should give you some more info on this. In the meantime if you have any questions about Orthoptics feel free to ask I have a thread on the student room linked here and there some other threads on the student room too which have some useful info :smile:

Hope this helps,

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Thanks so much Alisha 😊 I’ll email them now as you suggested thanks for taking the time to reply x
Reply 5
Hi there!

Hope this helps,

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Hi Alisha,
I'm really keen to do orthoptics and have got work experience at an orthoptics clinic and a nursery but unfortunately, I've been predicted B, B, C with the C in biology, B in psychology and business. My school haven't been the best when it comes to hearing me out so it probably won't change. Do you think that I will be still given an offer from any of the 3 universities (Sheffield would be my number 1 though)? Also, how does the clearing process work just in case I get rejected?
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks so much Alisha 😊 I’ll email them now as you suggested thanks for taking the time to reply x

You're very welcome, feel free to ask anymore questions !:smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Original post by Kaival04
Hi Alisha,
I'm really keen to do orthoptics and have got work experience at an orthoptics clinic and a nursery but unfortunately, I've been predicted B, B, C with the C in biology, B in psychology and business. My school haven't been the best when it comes to hearing me out so it probably won't change. Do you think that I will be still given an offer from any of the 3 universities (Sheffield would be my number 1 though)? Also, how does the clearing process work just in case I get rejected?

Hi there!

Thank you for your question, hope you are well? My first bit of advice (even though you have mentioned your school haven't really listened to you) would be to make it very clear to your school the entry requirements for the course you want to apply for and that by predicting you these grades may hinder your chances of an offer. If there's a teacher you are particularly close with it could be good speaking to them, I would personally even get my parents/guardian involved if you truly believe you are being under predicted! It would be good to show you are putting in the effort and have proof that you are capable of achieving the grade to back you up also.

If this doesn't work and Orthoptics is what you want to do I would still apply, there isn't a guarantee you would get an interview due to the grade requirements but it also doesn't mean you will necessarily be unsuccessful either, and as you mentioned clearing is an option. Clearing opens up for individuals that don't have any offers from any university slightly earlier than it does for everyone else (I believe June/july time) and you can pre register for clearing beforehand. Clearing opens fully on results day and you contact universities directly via submitting applications online or through phone call, if the University gives you a verbal/written offer you then need to apply via UCAS to confirm the offer they have given you. There are often a few places for Orthoptics in clearing (depending on the year) so it is something to consider.

I hope this helps you out a bit, best of luck!

If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask:smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Reply 8
Hi Alisha! Im not from UK but im interested in studying Orthoptics in either University of Sheffield or University of Liverpool. Do you have any international classmate? Do you think it is a hard degree for students whose first language is not english? As im not so good at physics, may i know the proportion of biology and physics? Like 50% of biology and 50%of physics? Thanks a lot!
Original post by wingcwy
Hi Alisha! Im not from UK but im interested in studying Orthoptics in either University of Sheffield or University of Liverpool. Do you have any international classmate? Do you think it is a hard degree for students whose first language is not english? As im not so good at physics, may i know the proportion of biology and physics? Like 50% of biology and 50%of physics? Thanks a lot!

Hi there!

Glad to hear you're interested in Orthoptics:smile: There are quite a few international students on the Orthoptics course, in my year currently there are a few students from China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, France and Malta just to name a few so it is quite a diverse course, 2 of my housemates are international students! It is more difficult for people studying the course when English isn't their first language but I think this would depend on you personally and how you feel about studying a degree in English. The course is majority Biology based, we have an Optics Module in 1st and 2nd year of University, this is the only Physics part of the course between the optics modules this only accounts for 12% of the overall degree classification but I would say we do spend a reasonable amount of time studying this in Year 2, more than this reflects.

Hope this helps you out, please feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Hi there!

Glad to hear you're interested in Orthoptics:smile: There are quite a few international students on the Orthoptics course, in my year currently there are a few students from China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, France and Malta just to name a few so it is quite a diverse course, 2 of my housemates are international students! It is more difficult for people studying the course when English isn't their first language but I think this would depend on you personally and how you feel about studying a degree in English. The course is majority Biology based, we have an Optics Module in 1st and 2nd year of University, this is the only Physics part of the course between the optics modules this only accounts for 12% of the overall degree classification but I would say we do spend a reasonable amount of time studying this in Year 2, more than this reflects.

Hope this helps you out, please feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Thanks so much Alisha! You are really helping many people out there who are interested in Orthoptics! Wish me luck with my application haha:h:
Original post by wingcwy
Thanks so much Alisha! You are really helping many people out there who are interested in Orthoptics! Wish me luck with my application haha:h:

You're very welcome, glad to hear I could help! Best of luck with your application :smile:

Alisha
3rd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
Reply 12
Original post by wingcwy

Hiya
Did you end up applying to Orthoptics?
If so did you apply to Sheffield and did you manage to get a place??

Quick Reply

Latest