The Student Room Group

i think my doctor assaulted me

not sure if i'm allowed to say this here but i've felt like i have trauma i don't remember for a long time, and i recently started remembering things about my childhood gp that are disturbing. i always try to play stuff down, so i've been doubting the validity of the memories a lot and feeling guilty that i'm mentally accusing him of these things. i have also been assaulted s3xually in my more recent memory, so a part of me thinks i'm just confusing childhood fears of doctors with those traumas. does anyone know how common it is to have false memories? is it likely i'm making it up?
Would you feel comfortable sharing what the memories are? Perhaps they are things that may have felt uncomfortable but where are actually part of a normal examination (there are medical students and doctors here who may be able to help)? Or you could maybe speak to a helpline anonymously?

As for false memories, those do happen but no one here will be able to say if what you are remembering is true or not.

And I am very sorry you have been sexually assaulted, that must have been awful and I hope you have had support regarding this.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Would you feel comfortable sharing what the memories are? Perhaps they are things that may have felt uncomfortable but where are actually part of a normal examination (there are medical students and doctors here who may be able to help)? Or you could maybe speak to a helpline anonymously?

As for false memories, those do happen but no one here will be able to say if what you are remembering is true or not.

And I am very sorry you have been sexually assaulted, that must have been awful and I hope you have had support regarding this.

yeah i also had this thought - was i just scared and what he was doing was normal? i can remember him saying inappropriate things to me though (e.g referring to my body using anatomically incorrect words) and my parents weren't in the room so i don't think that's the case
He either did or he didn't. Don't ruin someones reputation for nothing.
Reply 4
He either did or he didn't. Don't ruin someones reputation for nothing.

i'm not going to do anything abt it either way bc they could never prosecute him and i have no way of proving it. ppl like you are the reason others don't come forward though. disgusting.
yeah i also had this thought - was i just scared and what he was doing was normal? i can remember him saying inappropriate things to me though (e.g referring to my body using anatomically incorrect words) and my parents weren't in the room so i don't think that's the case

It may have been, it's hard to know without more context. BuIf you were little, perhaps he was using terms that he thought you might understand? If your parents weren't in the room, that seems unusual, but perhaps you just don't remember that they were there? Would you feel comfortable speaking to your parents about this and asking if they took you to see your GP about those things you are remembering?
Reply 6
It may have been, it's hard to know without more context. BuIf you were little, perhaps he was using terms that he thought you might understand? If your parents weren't in the room, that seems unusual, but perhaps you just don't remember that they were there? Would you feel comfortable speaking to your parents about this and asking if they took you to see your GP about those things you are remembering?

i spoke to them abt it at the time and they brushed it off, same with when i told them about the other assaults. i had a massive fear of the doctors after that experience though, and i remember crying when i had a uti bc i was afraid of being touched. and believe me you would not use the words he used to a child.

Quick Reply