Golden Crow's Adventures into 2nd Year - A Psychic GYG

Watch
Golden Crow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Welcome to my blog!
This is my first time ever venturing into the world of GYGs (hence why I am an amateur, so please bear with me) and I've seen so many lovely blogs already that it got me excited to create my own!

The Golden Crow:

Hi, I'm Golden Crow. I'm currently in my second year (:yikes:) of a BSc in psychology. Last year was quite tough for me with lockdown and stuff, especially because I don't seem to do too well with purely online-based studying and no real face-to-face human interaction. It also has had a significant effect on my mental health with my anxiety getting worse, and just general lack of motivation and will.
But, I've been trying to get back on track (since forever) and hence, I thought this would be a great start to make myself accountable and share my journey with you all. :woo:

However, enough about me. Let's talk more about the academic stuff.

The Golden Course:

This year's modules include:

• Social and Cognitive Development
  • Introduction to Social and Differential Psychology
  • Neurology of Vision and Action
  • Language and Communication
  • Research Skills

I'm genuinely looking forward to all the modules, but, I've always had a big interest in the linguistic side of psychology and so, I am very intrigued to learn more about that. :yep:

The Golden Goals:

Honestly, I don't ever put pressure on myself on getting a specific grade. So, in general, my aim is to just try my hardest and do my best, and put in as much effort and potential as I can. But, at the same time, trying to not to let myself down and work any less than what my abilities deserve, and are capable of. That's the only bit that I strive for, and the only reason why a grade would ever make me disappointed in myself.

However, in terms of practical goals, here is a summary of what I'd like to achieve this year: :clap2:

Spoiler:
Show
  • Reading: I really want to learn how to read faster, whilst simultaneously, absorb the content and actually understand the subject. This is especially important for all the scientific articles and reports that I need to read, but also the larger non-fiction books.
  • Essay planning: As it is a psychology degree, there aren't as many practical or memorising stuff and/or exams, it's more about the essays. So, although I think I'm pretty good at writing, I get very overwhelmed on the planning and instead, I just begin writing my essays all at one go, which takes ten times longer the time, and I can't afford that. So, I'd like to learn and be more structured in the way I make my notes and how to include them in my essay, as well as plan it in detail beforehand.
  • Time management: This should be at the top of my list because I really struggle with it. Last year, I did literally all my essays the night before it was due, and although I've been doing this for a couple of years, I do not want to continue it that way. It is extremely stressful and damaging to the health, although I do think I might produce better work under pressure, but I can't deal with the panic it brings.
  • Putting myself out there: I don't know how else to put this, but I want to actually work beyond the academics and into the work field. It can be anything, like volunteering or general work experience, but I want to be out there and practice my subject or contribute in some way (although this doesn't have to be exclusive to psychology). Partly because it is an essential for my degree and future career aspects, but also because I feel like I've been too sheltered and want to get a feel of what it is like to actually do the work. As well as the social factor that comes with it.

And here is a list of some of my strengths in my current field of academics: :banana:

Spoiler:
Show
  • Research skills: I think with time and practice, I've been very accustomed to researching stuff and I don't get very overwhelmed by the immense amount of it that is out there. This has meant that I can find my ways to gather the most relevant pieces to read and include in my work, and that's been really helpful.
  • Quick learner: Although I do struggle to fully understand texts that include extensive scientific jargon, I do think that I can generally learn stuff pretty quickly. And if I don't, I'm usually quite good at teaching myself by doing some research on the side or some other way, and getting it in my head. So, that has been great for my exams.
  • Stress management: I have noticed that I don't get overtly extremely stressed. I'm not sure if this is true, and why that is the case. But, for example, even if I have multiple exams in one week, I tend to tackle it calmly, instead of jumping up and down stressing (although that happens at times as well). I also don't know if this is purely a strength, as it can be a struggle as well when I don't seem to care much about deadlines approaching fast and therefore, might work last-minute or perform poorly.

So, that's a wrap on the first post. :yay:
Thank you if you've managed to reach the end. I really appreciate anyone who'd like to join me in my ventures. Image
If you're interested and would like to be tagged, please let me know (although I don't presently know how the whole tag list works and why it's even needed, but uhm, yeah, I'll try), and I'd love to chat in the comments section, so please drop a comment.
Also, I am aware that this isn't the prettiest set-up you've seen, but I'm working on that too. I shall soon make it the golden thread of all the GYGs (not really). Finally, apologies for the incessant use of 'golden', but hey it is a part of my identity on here, so I guess that makes up for it?

So, let the games begin and may the odds be ever in our favour.
Last edited by Golden Crow; 4 weeks ago
Auntie_Autie2019
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi Golden Crow. Your blog introduction sounds really interesting and I'm intrigued to follow your posts. I hope you have a smooth start to your second year and enjoy blogging here too.

I'm a mature student and have also just started my first blog.
Golden Crow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Auntie_Autie2019)
Hi Golden Crow. Your blog introduction sounds really interesting and I'm intrigued to follow your posts. I hope you have a smooth start to your second year and enjoy blogging here too.

I'm a mature student and have also just started my first blog.
Thank you so much!

Oh, that's exciting. I'm a mature student too (in my early 20's), I feel like the term encompasses such a wide age range, but how have you been finding it so far? Will be heading towards reading you blog and joining you there as well. :^_^:
Auntie_Autie2019
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Golden Crow)
Thank you so much!

Oh, that's exciting. I'm a mature student too (in my early 20's), I feel like the term encompasses such a wide age range, but how have you been finding it so far? Will be heading towards reading you blog and joining you there as well. :^_^:
It really does as my niece is also a mature student and she's of another generation to me. Plus my auntie graduated with an honours degree not too long ago. Interestingly, shortly before Covid came along I heard of a gentleman who went to university (and successfully graduated) in his 90s because quite simply, he was bored!! 😂 University gave him something to do and occupied his mind. So if he can do it, then so can we!! I've not fully got going yet but I'm hoping to be engaged throughout.
Golden Crow
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Update - End of Week One

First week of teaching has ended, and I have already fallen behind. :cry2: But I have a very reasonable excuse, I've been ill for half of the week with the flu, so could not attend some of the on campus teachings and watch all the recordings. All of my three modules for this semester, which are a change from last year where we had six for each term :zomg: , have been set in a format of recordings and some pre-lecture activities to complete before attending the actual live lectures on-campus, and/or any workshop or seminars that may be included.

Research Skills: Since this was my first time attending live, I was actually a bit surprised at what the 'lecture' consisted of, although I admittedly only attended the one for my Research Skills module. The lecturer had us basically complete any undone work that was already submitted online, followed by a brief Q & A session, and that was it. So, it did feel a bit pointless as there wasn't much to be done. But, I definitely enjoyed the lecture vibe, as well as finally physically meeting and talking to some of my fellow course mates.
Language and Communication: As prefaced, this has become my favourite module already. For week one, we have only just gone through the basics of linguistics, so things like phenomes and allophones, and how animals manifest language into their communication. I always tend to do my own independent research whilst watching the recordings. That way, I honestly feel like it increases my interest and makes me more engaged with the subject, instead of purely absorbing what the lecturer is saying or doing the essential readings. Also, for my note-taking this year, instead of writing on paper, which I figured didn't help me much last year, I've begun to write them down on the notes section of the PPT slides. That way, I can reference them directly underneath, and they'll also come in quite handy when I'll have to write my essays.
One downfall (sort of) to my independent research though is that I can get quite in the rabbit hole and find it harder to come back to the original topic because there is literally so much research around it in all types of format that it takes quite a while to even grasp the basics. But, I've found the Crash Course on YouTube for linguistics to be quite useful, as well as past talks by Noam Chomsky.
Social Psychology: Unfortunately, I haven't got around to watching or reading any of this module's recordings and readings so far :emo:, so I have no clue on what's going on there. :dontknow: But I am planning to catch up on that tomorrow, now that I feel a bit better, and hopefully be ready by the oncoming workshop! :crossedf:

Anyway, I'm trying not to beat myself up too much as it is only the beginning of the year and I still have time to catch up and get back on track. I have set up my timetable online (I'm trying to do everything digitally this time), so that I have some sort of organised schedule of when to complete each task for the respective modules. Excited for the second week! :yeah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (310)
57.84%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.18%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (59)
11.01%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.4%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.85%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.73%

Watched Threads