jemma1333
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey so i’m stating my epq this year and i want to do it medicine related specifically on cardiovascular diseases such as myocarditis. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or titles related to myocarditis or anything that would be a good title?
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Hi,

Sorry that you have had no joy with your Q for so long - I see you just put up a new post on the point.

Let me try to assist you, yeah? .
You want to select a topic on which there is ample info online/in books, etc., and where there is some controversy or disagreement between different schools of thought, but at the same time one which does not overwhelm you at your level, would you agree?

Off the top of my head, I would think in the lines of the below:-

A] If CVS disease in adults interests you:-

e.g. "It is an established fact that smoking cigarettes is a major risk factor in the development of ischaemic heart disease and costs millions to the NHS - should this habit be made statutorily illegal?" [you could talk [after describing the roles of nicotine, carbon monoxide, and of tar in the causation of angina and MI] about pluses and minuses]: sociological impact of giving up; weight gain on giving up; stress and its alleged alleviation by smoking; cost to govt in funding NHS yet gain in taxes paid by manufacturers of cigs; smell and pollution; passive smoking risk for non-smokers; other disease caused by smoking [lung cancer; bladder cancer; chronic bronchitis, which can adversely affect the heart]; family finance constraints [cigs are not cheap]; risk to unborn foetus in pregnant smokers; etc.

B] If CVS disease in children interests you [mostly congenital heart disease i.e. present at birth]:-

e.g. "Should pregnant women who themselves have genetic heart disease [or if their partners do] be encouraged to have termination of pregnancy?" google Brugada syndrome [there is a defect in sodium ion transport that can cause sudden death mostly in young men]; familial hypercholesterolaemia [genetically transmitted condition in which patients have very high cholesterol levels and which can therefore lead to potentially fatal MI [myocardial infarction = heart attack] at a very young age [under 40]; you can mention e.g. improved treatment options with ongoing ground-breaking research; gene therapy to correct the genetic defect in [the distant?] future e.g. possibly SCN5A mutation in Brugada; stress for parents when v ill child is born; lack of access to treatment in some locations; cost of treatment and of psychological support; burden on NHS; is abortion [at age zero] worse than risk of patient dying at an early age?; etc.

[Please google terms in bold above.]

Please feel free to PM me for guidance on sources of info, explanation of medical terminology or any other Qs you might have.

Best of luck & be safe!
M.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
jemma1333

Just to alert you to my reply above.
jemma1333
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
oh wow thanks so much!! very helpful
jemma1333
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi,

Sorry that you have had no joy with your Q for so long - I see you just put up a new post on the point.

Let me try to assist you, yeah? .
You want to select a topic on which there is ample info online/in books, etc., and where there is some controversy or disagreement between different schools of thought, but at the same time one which does not overwhelm you at your level, would you agree?

Off the top of my head, I would think in the lines of the below:-

A] If CVS disease in adults interests you:-

e.g. "It is an established fact that smoking cigarettes is a major risk factor in the development of ischaemic heart disease and costs millions to the NHS - should this habit be made statutorily illegal?" [you could talk [after describing the roles of nicotine, carbon monoxide, and of tar in the causation of angina and MI] about pluses and minuses]: sociological impact of giving up; weight gain on giving up; stress and its alleged alleviation by smoking; cost to govt in funding NHS yet gain in taxes paid by manufacturers of cigs; smell and pollution; passive smoking risk for non-smokers; other disease caused by smoking [lung cancer; bladder cancer; chronic bronchitis, which can adversely affect the heart]; family finance constraints [cigs are not cheap]; risk to unborn foetus in pregnant smokers; etc.

B] If CVS disease in children interests you [mostly congenital heart disease i.e. present at birth]:-

e.g. "Should pregnant women who themselves have genetic heart disease [or if their partners do] be encouraged to have termination of pregnancy?" google Brugada syndrome [there is a defect in sodium ion transport that can cause sudden death mostly in young men]; familial hypercholesterolaemia [genetically transmitted condition in which patients have very high cholesterol levels and which can therefore lead to potentially fatal MI [myocardial infarction = heart attack] at a very young age [under 40]; you can mention e.g. improved treatment options with ongoing ground-breaking research; gene therapy to correct the genetic defect in [the distant?] future e.g. possibly SCN5A mutation in Brugada; stress for parents when v ill child is born; lack of access to treatment in some locations; cost of treatment and of psychological support; burden on NHS; is abortion [at age zero] worse than risk of patient dying at an early age?; etc.

[Please google terms in bold above.]

Please feel free to PM me for guidance on sources of info, explanation of medical terminology or any other Qs you might have.

Best of luck & be safe!
M.
thanks so much so helpful!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.37%
Okay (64)
29.77%
A bit lacking (81)
37.67%
Not good at all (52)
24.19%

Watched Threads