Plato's Theory of Forms?????

Watch this thread
username5522220
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
This is a stupid question but bear with.

So, in the realm of the forms, there is a form for everything. right? so there's a form for cats, a form for chairs, a form for beauty, a form for good. There's also a form for bricks. And a form for houses.

But houses are made up of bricks?? so is the form of a house made up of lots of the form of a brick??

And is there the form of an eye, or a leg or a hand or whatever. Or is there only forms of full living creatures, not just parts of them.

And if something in the material world is beautiful, that's because it contains the form of beauty right? so things can contain multiple forms? So like a beautiful painting contains both the form of a painting, and also the form of beauty?? Or does it have only one form, the form of a beautiful painting????????? also someone needs to explain infinite regression to me. Is there a form for a thought? Is there a form for every possible thought? Is there a form for things that will never exist in our world?

I guess my overarching question is where does plato draw the line of what there are forms for. There is the form of a cat, but what about the different breeds of cats? that kind of thing. sorry for the rambling.

i hope you understand what i'm trying to say :P
jessness17
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
i

(Original post by jaz_37)
This is a stupid question but bear with.

So, in the realm of the forms, there is a form for everything. right? so there's a form for cats, a form for chairs, a form for beauty, a form for good. There's also a form for bricks. And a form for houses.

But houses are made up of bricks?? so is the form of a house made up of lots of the form of a brick??

And is there the form of an eye, or a leg or a hand or whatever. Or is there only forms of full living creatures, not just parts of them.

And if something in the material world is beautiful, that's because it contains the form of beauty right? so things can contain multiple forms? So like a beautiful painting contains both the form of a painting, and also the form of beauty?? Or does it have only one form, the form of a beautiful painting????????? also someone needs to explain infinite regression to me. Is there a form for a thought? Is there a form for every possible thought? Is there a form for things that will never exist in our world?

I guess my overarching question is where does plato draw the line of what there are forms for. There is the form of a cat, but what about the different breeds of cats? that kind of thing. sorry for the rambling.

i hope you understand what i'm trying to say :P
Hi, I understand what you're trying to say, in short, yes there is a form for everything, but essentially this is one of the biggest problems with Plato's theory as there never is a clear line that should be drawn and if there really is a form for everything. if you were to get an exam question on Plato's theory, this would be an area of discussion/criticism - basically, Plato's theory can be difficult to use and stops being universal as it seemed at first as it is never clear where to draw the line. hope this helps
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
A form is simple (incomposite) and so cannot be constructed of other forms - this is made clear in the affinity argument of the Phaedo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (21)
30.88%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (26)
38.24%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (3)
4.41%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
4.41%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
5.88%
I’m starting to consider my university options (9)
13.24%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.47%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.47%

Watched Threads