mini gym in my room

Watch
Lellyit00009
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, lately i’ve been finding it stressful to fit the gym in with working and school so i was going to order dumbbells to do it at home. I don’t know if this is a bad idea or not. Does anyone have any experience from doing this? Have you stuck to it if you have and have dumbbells at home been good enough or have you ended up going back to the gym? Thank you
Tracey_W
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lellyit00009)
Hi, lately i’ve been finding it stressful to fit the gym in with working and school so i was going to order dumbbells to do it at home. I don’t know if this is a bad idea or not. Does anyone have any experience from doing this? Have you stuck to it if you have and have dumbbells at home been good enough or have you ended up going back to the gym? Thank you
Hi
No that's brilliant idea you wanting to do this ok,

Suggest getting some 4/5 kgs to start with or smaller and slowly workup the weights of them as come in various weights ok. Don't lift anything to heavy at once as get use to doing this sort of things over period of time..

I been use to doing this for a many years now as I do treadmill, weightlifting, and excercise bike plus use dumbbells as got various weights now with these and I do these at home when weather rubbish as generally go long distance runs if good weather when I'm free from working .
Never used gyms. As always been into athletics stuff.
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes it's not a bad idea if you have a mini gym at your room , you can do exercise and workout at home as well ..
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This is what I do, far prefer it to the gym

I have a light and a heavy fixed dumbbell set, and an adjustable one that covers most other ranges (5-32.5KG i think) and a small folding bench for presses, rows, preacher/incline curls and the like. A kettlebell or two kicking about for variety in movements.
neal95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Get dumbbells, but also remember you can do bodyweight exercises such as press-ups sit-ups and dips without much equipment! You can also do inverted pull ups with a couple of chairs and a broom stick between them!
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by neal95)
You can also do inverted pull ups with a couple of chairs and a broom stick between them!
That sound a bit unsafe for anyone that's not a child, broomsticks = not load bearing on that axis
StephRadriguez
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you feel like you want to order dumbbells to build muscle, then go ahead, but don’t feel like that is necessary for strength training. Many people think that you MUST lift weights in order to get strong, but bodyweight fitness is just as effective in doing so: https://www.openfit.com/best-bodyweight-exercises

I hate lifting weights, and I always have, so thankfully I found bodyweight exercise a few months ago, and I have stuck to it ever since. I also am not a huge fan of the gym, which isn’t a bad thing since there are tons of ways that you can do both cardio and strength training from the comfort of your living room. If you prefer the gym, then that’s okay too, but don’t feel that it’s necessary, especially when bodyweight fitness exists alongside yoga, Pilates, etc.
!Capercaillie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Deadlifting 300kg in an upstairs room would be incredibly stupid but for most gym/fitness uses, your room is absolutely fine as long as you have enough space.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by StephRadriguez)
If you feel like you want to order dumbbells to build muscle, then go ahead, but don’t feel like that is necessary for strength training. Many people think that you MUST lift weights in order to get strong, but bodyweight fitness is just as effective in doing so: https://www.openfit.com/best-bodyweight-exercises

I hate lifting weights, and I always have, so thankfully I found bodyweight exercise a few months ago, and I have stuck to it ever since. I also am not a huge fan of the gym, which isn’t a bad thing since there are tons of ways that you can do both cardio and strength training from the comfort of your living room. If you prefer the gym, then that’s okay too, but don’t feel that it’s necessary, especially when bodyweight fitness exists alongside yoga, Pilates, etc.
I've nothing against bodyweight work, but to say it is JUST as effective...does not sound true. Otherwise people would just do those?.

For one, you cannot change your body weight at will and once you've adapted to your own body weight, you're nearly out of options beyond holds/pulses/gimmicks... and of course, WEIGHTS
Zain_Ahmed
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lellyit00009)
been home-gyming for the past year.. Best choice I have ever made.. you can target most muscles with dumbells, and the rest can be done through calisthenics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (227)
56.75%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (51)
12.75%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
9%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed