The Student Room Group

Automation job losses

Amazon, Alidi and now Tesco are offering till less supermarkets. No doubt to cut jobs on ranch and head office.
Reply 1
Most supermarkets have offered self service checkout for years, how is this nerws?
Original post by Napp
Most supermarkets have offered self service checkout for years, how is this nerws?

I assume OP means getting rid of all the regular checkouts
Reply 3
Original post by Theloniouss
I assume OP means getting rid of all the regular checkouts

I assumed, i still dont see how this is overly news worthy as there will always be staff there and petrol stations, for example, with no staff have been around for years. Its not like this is a significant blow to the labour market, outside of teenagers with partt time jobs in college. Unfortunate for them but otherwise rather innocuous from what ive read on it.
Original post by Napp
I assumed, i still dont see how this is overly news worthy as there will always be staff there and petrol stations, for example, with no staff have been around for years. Its not like this is a significant blow to the labour market, outside of teenagers with partt time jobs in college. Unfortunate for them but otherwise rather innocuous from what ive read on it.

I've never encountered a petrol station like that :confused:

Stories like this are a good way for regular people (who don't often find themselves in warehouses and factories) to directly see the impact of automation, even if it's not actually a significant problem.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Theloniouss
I've never encountered a petrol station like that :confused:

Stories like this are a good way for regular people (who don't often find themselves in warehouses and factories) to directly see the impact of automation, even if it's not actually a significant problem.

Really? Theyre quite common out here?
True say on that one. That being said, where such jobs are lost they do tend to be supplemented by new ones in the ancillary industries to what is replacing them. They might require retraining but just as the fear of the technological advances in the textile industry inspired the Luddites, i see little reason to fear that man will become redundant any time soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending