_kale!_
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm taking the HAT on 4 November. Besides practice past papers, do you have any suggestions for preparation? My school has never sent anyone to Oxford, so I'm trying to figure out as much as I can. Thank you!
viennas
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _kale!_)
I'm taking the HAT on 4 November. Besides practice past papers, do you have any suggestions for preparation? My school has never sent anyone to Oxford, so I'm trying to figure out as much as I can. Thank you!
I know this is essentially a non-answer, but there's little you can do other than completing all of the past papers. The HAT is trying to test your innate ability, so it's pretty much impossible to study for it as you would the PAT or a regular exam. The best advice I have is to go through the mark schemes for the past papers carefully to try and see the kind of details they're expecting you to pick up on. That's all you can really do. Good luck for November 4!!
Last edited by viennas; 4 weeks ago
_kale!_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by viennas)
I know this is essentially a non-answer, but there's little you can do other than completing all of the past papers. The HAT is trying to test your innate ability, so it's pretty much impossible to study for it as you would the PAT or a regular exam. The best advice I have is to go through the mark schemes for the past papers carefully to try and see the kind of details they're expecting you to pick up on. That's all you can really do. Good luck for November 4!!
Thank you!
Xiphos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _kale!_)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsStONvSiAI
aniwah
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I took the HAT last year and got 80% (interview feedback). I was rejected post-interview but the HAT was probably the best part of my application since my contextualised GCSE score was negative and my interview was a hot mess.

I would say (if you can) try to get a teacher to mark your practice papers? Even if they haven't sent anyone your teachers should be able to interpret the sources with more ease than you so their input can't hurt you. Try to read sources more generally even if you don't write them up properly like you would a HAT practice. The Cambridge HAA papers are also good to look at - you get two to compare and contrast, and I found that when having two sources on similar material certain features really jumped out, and it became easier to identify that sort of thing in individual sources over time.

At the end of the day I agree with what viennas said earlier - I did all the practice papers, did the exam and still came out feeling absolutely terrible. My best advice is to try and enjoy the HAT as much as you can - it sounds hard given all the pressure but if you make it into an enjoyable experience (bit like Stockholm syndrome) then at least it feels fun. A weird tip that I found helped me was to think of the people in the sources (this does not work for all the sources) as people that you know.

If you have any questions feel free to ask? Good luck for the HAT!
_kale!_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by aniwah)
I took the HAT last year and got 80% (interview feedback). I was rejected post-interview but the HAT was probably the best part of my application since my contextualised GCSE score was negative and my interview was a hot mess.

I would say (if you can) try to get a teacher to mark your practice papers? Even if they haven't sent anyone your teachers should be able to interpret the sources with more ease than you so their input can't hurt you. Try to read sources more generally even if you don't write them up properly like you would a HAT practice. The Cambridge HAA papers are also good to look at - you get two to compare and contrast, and I found that when having two sources on similar material certain features really jumped out, and it became easier to identify that sort of thing in individual sources over time.

At the end of the day I agree with what viennas said earlier - I did all the practice papers, did the exam and still came out feeling absolutely terrible. My best advice is to try and enjoy the HAT as much as you can - it sounds hard given all the pressure but if you make it into an enjoyable experience (bit like Stockholm syndrome) then at least it feels fun. A weird tip that I found helped me was to think of the people in the sources (this does not work for all the sources) as people that you know.

If you have any questions feel free to ask? Good luck for the HAT!
Thank you! I definitely \really enjoy the HAT and the level of source analysis that I've been exposed to in preparing for it these past few months. It is genuinely incredibly thrilling and takes me back to being a little younger and trying to analyze historical sources for fun! I am doing all the past papers, analyzing sources on the side, and really enjoying the process. I've been telling myself that whether or not I'm successful, I've enjoyed the "journey" as it is...but there's always that tinge of anxiety!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (173)
55.81%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (44)
14.19%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (34)
10.97%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (28)
9.03%
I haven't started researching yet (17)
5.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.52%

Watched Threads