Studyengine2003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Although I understand medical school is a huge sacrifice and takes determination, I can't help but ask is it as time consuming and stressful as people say?

How is social life in the first year at least compared to other courses?
Is stuff like partying on weekdays out of the equation completely ?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Studyengine2003)
Although I understand medical school is a huge sacrifice and takes determination, I can't help but ask is it as time consuming and stressful as people say?

How is social life in the first year at least compared to other courses?
Is stuff like partying on weekdays out of the equation completely ?
First year was a long time ago for me now but I'm sure freshers still party on weekdays lol.
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
First year med has more contact hours and a higher workload than most other undergrad courses - but it’s a walk in the park compared to the stress level of year 13.

When I was a first year we’d go out for sports night (weds) and usually one other night with my flatmates then spend weekends with my boyfriend. Plus there were organised socials from time to time. I’m now in year 3, haven’t needed to do any resits yet..
Last edited by AnnaBananana; 4 weeks ago
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Medics probably party more on weekdays than the other degrees

(Original post by AnnaBananana)
First year med has more contact hours and a higher workload than most other undergrad courses - but it’s a walk in the park compared to the stress level of year 13.

When I was a first year we’d go out for sports night (weds) and usually one other night with my flatmates then spend weekends with my boyfriend. Plus there were organised socials from time to time. I’m now in year 3, haven’t needed to do any resits yet..
Haven't seen you around for a bit - hope Y3 day 1 went well :hugs:
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Democracy)
First year was a long time ago for me now but I'm sure freshers still party on weekdays lol.
#3 has not had a night in (or a night's sleep) since the start of Freshers
#2 is out down the pub as I type, and spent all weekend partying (they are enjoying being out of lockdown!)
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Haven't seen you around for a bit - hope Y3 day 1 went well :hugs:
I’ve been around - squeezed in another holiday before the start of term though :^_^:

Start of year 3 - it sounds hectic. We got the list of skills we need to have signed off this year - I don’t know whether to curl up in a ball and hide under my duvet, or to be mildly impressed with my one-year-in-the-future self 😂
GrandMedic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’ve been around - squeezed in another holiday before the start of term though :^_^:

Start of year 3 - it sounds hectic. We got the list of skills we need to have signed off this year - I don’t know whether to curl up in a ball and hide under my duvet, or to be mildly impressed with my one-year-in-the-future self 😂
Don't stress about clinical skills needing to be done. Pretty much everyone comfortably does more than enough of the skills you need to signed off on (you'll be sick of taking bloods by the end of it) that it's really not worth stressing about it at the start of placement. Whatever you have left at the end is easy enough to get done if you go to the doctor or nurse on the ward and tell them you need this signed off.
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GrandMedic)
Don't stress about clinical skills needing to be done. Pretty much everyone comfortably does more than enough of the skills you need to signed off on (you'll be sick of taking bloods by the end of it) that it's really not worth stressing about it at the start of placement. Whatever you have left at the end is easy enough to get done if you go to the doctor or nurse on the ward and tell them you need this signed off.
It just looks like a lot - bearing in mind how little
placement time we’ve had so far due to covid. I’m sure it’ll all work out though….. ty
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Ooh very nice
Wow, I can imagine... I’m not looking forward to having one practical exam never mind being fully in clinical years!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads