The Student Room Group

Official Korean Studies 2022 Applicant Thread

Thinking about applying for Korean Studies in 2022? This is the place for you! Introduce yourselves in the thread and, if you'd like, use these prompts:

What A-levels are you currently studying for?
Why Korean Studies?

Original thread for UCAS Applications + Uni group chat threads 2022 **Official Thread** here
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I've sent my application off for korean studies at Sheffield uni. :smile:
A levels, English language, sociology, health and social care Cambridge technical
I picked korean studies because of the complex political history that has interested my after I researched about North Korea and wanted to become an ambassador or diplomat.
Original post by ElegantArtist123
Hi I've sent my application off for korean studies at Sheffield uni. :smile:
A levels, English language, sociology, health and social care Cambridge technical
I picked korean studies because of the complex political history that has interested my after I researched about North Korea and wanted to become an ambassador or diplomat.

woah niceee :0 all the best with your application!!
wait I should probably do this too lol

Hiya, I'm currently studying chemistry, biology, psychology and GCSE Japanese and I've applied to Sheffield, SOAS and Central Lancashire. I've subconsciously known I wanted to do an MFL degree since the start of sixth form but wasn't entirely sure until the end of the summer holidays when I had to make a decision: by then I just thought "screw it, may as well do something I would actually want to learn more about outside the classroom.".

I've become so fascinated by how intertwined Korea, Japan and China are, but want to major in Korean because, honestly, using BTS and Korean Englishman (amongst many others) as stepping stones, I've learned a lot about the language and some aspects of the culture; I want to build on that in uni.
Original post by v.genericname
wait I should probably do this too lol

Hiya, I'm currently studying chemistry, biology, psychology and GCSE Japanese and I've applied to Sheffield, SOAS and Central Lancashire. I've subconsciously known I wanted to do an MFL degree since the start of sixth form but wasn't entirely sure until the end of the summer holidays when I had to make a decision: by then I just thought "screw it, may as well do something I would actually want to learn more about outside the classroom.".

I've become so fascinated by how intertwined Korea, Japan and China are, but want to major in Korean because, honestly, using BTS and Korean Englishman (amongst many others) as stepping stones, I've learned a lot about the language and some aspects of the culture; I want to build on that in uni.

Sheffield is so nice I hope you pick it. Its got so many korean restaurants as well as Japanese and Chinese places too. Its my first choice!
Sheffield is so nice I hope you pick it. Its got so many korean restaurants as well as Japanese and Chinese places too. Its my first choice!

I really did I enjoy attending the open day (two online, one in-person) and the range of optional modules you could take (although I probably need clarification on the specifics). I've also watched a few youtubers who are doing Korean Studies at Sheffield rn which has been super useful.

My college was the only one in the vicinity that offered Japanese so it was a no-brainer, now I actually have to make a decision if I get more than one offer x-x Hopefully you get an offer there, good luck!!
Reply 6
I have also applied for Korean studies at SOAS, Sheffield and UCLan too!!! A Levels are sociology psychology and chemistry!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Flooo22
I have also applied for Korean studies at SOAS, Sheffield and UCLan too!!! A Levels are sociology psychology and chemistry!

psych and chem gang let's gooooo

good luck with your application...and maybe see you next year 👀
Reply 8
psych and chem gang let's gooooo

good luck with your application...and maybe see you next year 👀

Ayeeeee!!

What's your first choice- mine is SOAS but to be honest I wouldn't mind Sheffield as well!
Original post by Flooo22
Ayeeeee!!

What's your first choice- mine is SOAS but to be honest I wouldn't mind Sheffield as well!

ah I've been eyeing Sheffield a lil more ngl, but I'm also fine with SOAS! I'm still on the fence tbh and it depends if I even get offers from either of them, but SOAS is actually my friend's first choice for Japanese haha

It's probably because I've been to more open days for Sheffield and like I've said in another comment, I've watched two youtubers that actually do Korean at Sheffield (both second years). I've also attended the SOAS open day (coincidentally on Hangul day) and their library was so massive, I got a lil excited seeing their collection for Korean.
(edited 2 years ago)
ah I've been eyeing Sheffield a lil more ngl, but I'm also fine with SOAS! I'm still on the fence tbh and it depends if I even get offers from either of them, but SOAS is actually my friend's first choice for Japanese haha

It's probably because I've been to more open days for Sheffield and like I've said in another comment, I've watched two youtubers that actually do Korean at Sheffield (both second years). I've also attended the SOAS open day (coincidentally on Hangul day) and their library was so massive, I got a lil excited seeing their collection for Korean.

Do you think it's possible that less people have applied for korean studies for 2022? I'm thinking that's the case as I've really not seen any other people that are applying for korean in any uni, other than the people on this thread and in some YouTube comment section - phegotflare
Do you think it's possible that less people have applied for korean studies for 2022? I'm thinking that's the case as I've really not seen any other people that are applying for korean in any uni, other than the people on this thread and in some YouTube comment section - phegotflare

can't say for sure yet, the deadline is January next year tbf and some people may have applied but haven't said so online. then again there's also been a general decrease in people doing language degrees during corona times, so can't say for sure rn.

I'd say Korean has probably become one of the more popular East Asian degrees if I remember correctly from Sheffield and SOAS open days, though (again don't quote me on this 💀).
Reply 12
Does anyone have any offers yet?
Original post by Flooo22
Does anyone have any offers yet?

I got a conditional offer from UCLan around a week after they got my application! I think SOAS and Sheffield might wait until the Jan 26 deadline, just have acknowledgement emails from them so far. wbu??
Reply 14
I got a conditional offer from UCLan around a week after they got my application! I think SOAS and Sheffield might wait until the Jan 26 deadline, just have acknowledgement emails from them so far. wbu??

That's reassuring as I sent my application on Monday (13/12) and I've only got acknowledgement emails from Sheffield and UCLan. No offers yet :frown:
But congrats on your conditional!!!! If you don't mind what were your predicted and subjects. :smile:
Original post by Flooo22
That's reassuring as I sent my application on Monday (13/12) and I've only got acknowledgement emails from Sheffield and UCLan. No offers yet :frown:
But congrats on your conditional!!!! If you don't mind what were your predicted and subjects. :smile:

tysm!! hopefully you get your offer soon!!

I'm predicted A* (chem) A (bio) A (psych) and 9 (GCSE Japanese) although I'm a lil worried about bio and psych bcs I've barely been passing since starting second year (around C or B at best in assessments) I think I have to change my study habits T-T

I did initially do disastrously during GCSE mocks (as in, actually failing around half my subjects) but started turning it around near the end of year 11 just before lockdown; I hope it'll happen for a-levels but honestly between now and summer anything could happen
Reply 16
tysm!! hopefully you get your offer soon!!

I'm predicted A* (chem) A (bio) A (psych) and 9 (GCSE Japanese) although I'm a lil worried about bio and psych bcs I've barely been passing since starting second year (around C or B at best in assessments) I think I have to change my study habits T-T

I did initially do disastrously during GCSE mocks (as in, actually failing around half my subjects) but started turning it around near the end of year 11 just before lockdown; I hope it'll happen for a-levels but honestly between now and summer anything could happen

Yeah I agree so many ppl have been talking about TAGs as well and another lockdown which obviously won't be good for anyone. But I'm hoping since korean isn't really a popular subject (at least relative to medicine or law) we should all have no trouble getting in! My predictions are kinda average but I do hope I get an offer before we go on Christmas break so I can stop worrying about it :smile:
Thinking about applying for Korean Studies in 2022? This is the place for you! Introduce yourselves in the thread and, if you'd like, use these prompts:

What A-levels are you currently studying for?
Why Korean Studies?

Original thread for UCAS Applications + Uni group chat threads 2022 **Official Thread** here

I applied for Korean at Sheffield!
I'm taking A Level Art, Music Technology and French. I'm still unsure if I want to go to Sheffield though as it's quite a long way from home and I don't know if I'm ready to live so far yet haha!
Original post by c_leah04
I applied for Korean at Sheffield!
I'm taking A Level Art, Music Technology and French. I'm still unsure if I want to go to Sheffield though as it's quite a long way from home and I don't know if I'm ready to live so far yet haha!

Yay another friend! Sheffield is amazing for East Asian stuff like loads of bubble tea places and the whole city centre is basically China town. I'm moving from London to Sheffield which is quite a long way away too but I've got my heart set on sheffield.
Reply 19
Just got my first offers for Japanese and Korean and Chinese and Korean at UCLan! Hopefully the others come soon too! 2 down 3 to go!

Quick Reply

Latest