The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni after 2 weeks

As the title says I think it is in my best interests to drop out of uni and try again next year. I have had a few problems that have really messed up my admittedly short time at my uni. To start I didn't get the grades I needed for dentistry, and in a rush decided to go through clearing for biomed, without thinking it through. I made the same mistake again in picking accomodation, I picked an over priced place with tiny rooms, where my only roomates are 2 international students who are brothers. To top all of it off, because of the pandemic, my social anxiety, which was something I could work through before and deal with, is at a point where I decided to go up the stairs to avoid talking to people in a lift. I know it's stupid but it's just enormously frustrating to have these problems, and it's just difficult to carry on, I was going to take a gap year, as a few of my friends are planning on it too, and I think that if I tackle a these problems one at a time, at home, I think that I can improve for next year and be more ready to go to uni.
I know it's a long message, but it's just so difficult and different to how I hoped it would be.
That’s okay
I also dropped out after 2 weeks and retook my alevels
It gave me time to think and think stuff through
If you decide to go on a gap year/ retake I hope it works out for you
Original post by Anonymous
As the title says I think it is in my best interests to drop out of uni and try again next year. I have had a few problems that have really messed up my admittedly short time at my uni. To start I didn't get the grades I needed for dentistry, and in a rush decided to go through clearing for biomed, without thinking it through. I made the same mistake again in picking accomodation, I picked an over priced place with tiny rooms, where my only roomates are 2 international students who are brothers. To top all of it off, because of the pandemic, my social anxiety, which was something I could work through before and deal with, is at a point where I decided to go up the stairs to avoid talking to people in a lift. I know it's stupid but it's just enormously frustrating to have these problems, and it's just difficult to carry on, I was going to take a gap year, as a few of my friends are planning on it too, and I think that if I tackle a these problems one at a time, at home, I think that I can improve for next year and be more ready to go to uni.
I know it's a long message, but it's just so difficult and different to how I hoped it would be.

Grades aren't everything

University isn't everything

You might feel a bit **** now but you have no idea .

You will be ok
Reply 3
Original post by planktion34
That’s okay
I also dropped out after 2 weeks and retook my alevels
It gave me time to think and think stuff through
If you decide to go on a gap year/ retake I hope it works out for you

Thanks, it's just been a **** time, I'm only in first week, but I know that it could improve in the first proper week, so I'm giving it some of that week, before making the decision proper
There are too many quick dropouts at uni, i had a good 20-30% leave in the first two weeks. I can't believe don't prepare more or attend open days to figure out what they're getting into. do you know some people who would have loved the degree probably got rejected to give someone else a place.

Not referring to ur post OP as you have quite a different situation but in general. I had terrible anxiety too but it's something you have to face at some point tbh... i went all 4 years of uni with no friends not even being able to look anyone in the eye
Reply 5
There are too many quick dropouts at uni, i had a good 20-30% leave in the first two weeks. I can't believe don't prepare more or attend open days to figure out what they're getting into. do you know some people who would have loved the degree probably got rejected to give someone else a place.

Not referring to ur post OP as you have quite a different situation but in general. I had terrible anxiety too but it's something you have to face at some point tbh... i went all 4 years of uni with no friends not even being able to look anyone in the eye

It's really difficult, because while I have social anxiety, I still want to go out and do things, and spending 3 years doing a course I'm not 100% on without friends seems like too much of a challenge.
I think the problem that leads to the whole early drop outs, is how uni is portrayed to year 12 and 13 students. I think people expect too much out of it and especially after covid I think the number might rise significantly. I understand your point however
Reply 6
I really wish I could wait longer to decide, because obviously it's better to give things more time, but unfortunately, the only real solutions to my problem are either moving accomodation or leaving, so unfortunately I have to decide by the point where I am liable for my tuition fees because while my parents are happy to cover the costs of cancelling the accomodation, I think that another 2500 or so of fees is just a waste if I srill dont enjoy it
I really wish I could wait longer to decide, because obviously it's better to give things more time, but unfortunately, the only real solutions to my problem are either moving accomodation or leaving, so unfortunately I have to decide by the point where I am liable for my tuition fees because while my parents are happy to cover the costs of cancelling the accomodation, I think that another 2500 or so of fees is just a waste if I srill dont enjoy it

If you don't like it and its makes you unhappy then don't carry on

Quick Reply

Latest