The Student Room Group

Are people in general just getting more difficult to date regardless of sexuality?

I'm gay and I see my straight brothers and sisters out here struggling as well so I'm starting to lose hope a little bit more everyday
Original post by Anonymous
I'm gay and I see my straight brothers and sisters out here struggling as well so I'm starting to lose hope a little bit more everyday

I'm a cis-heterosexual guy, and I find dating so difficult even these days.

I don’t think people are struggling any more then they ever have. I think it’s just easier to talk about relationship failures abd I think it’s really easy to put a lot of lrsssure on being in a relationship when you are younger. I don’t think anything’s got harder. I know it’ll be a while until I find someone I wanna date because I have strict things I want and I’m fine with that it’ll happen eventually and if it doesn’t then I haven’t met the right person.

I just see everyone putting so much pressure on romantic relationships and I think that’s making it feel harder because dating is starting to feel quite forced instead of what happens when you meet people you like
Reply 3
I don’t think people are struggling any more then they ever have. I think it’s just easier to talk about relationship failures abd I think it’s really easy to put a lot of lrsssure on being in a relationship when you are younger. I don’t think anything’s got harder. I know it’ll be a while until I find someone I wanna date because I have strict things I want and I’m fine with that it’ll happen eventually and if it doesn’t then I haven’t met the right person.

I just see everyone putting so much pressure on romantic relationships and I think that’s making it feel harder because dating is starting to feel quite forced instead of what happens when you meet people you like

Oh, good point. This is very true.
Reply 4
My man but nothing like a flat woman’s ass doggy head in the pillow ass in the air, the kitty pops out no protection go get it, as the young dudes say smash it, beat it up. Those were the days my friend. Nothing wrong with being gay keep doing what you do more power to you.

Tf lmao. Flat ass??
Reply 5
Not that ive seen... other than hookup culture seems more prevalent than before its the same old merry-go-round of trying to find someone you match with. Then again ive tended to jump from relationship to relationship so havent really dived into the dating scene much :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by Napp
Not that ive seen... other than hookup culture seems more prevalent than before its the same old merry-go-round of trying to find someone you match with. Then again ive tended to jump from relationship to relationship so havent really dived into the dating scene much :lol:

Wow. Teach me your ways, sensei
Reply 7
Wow. Teach me your ways, sensei

Don't be an ass to them and it generally works out quite well :h:
Reply 8
No more than it was 20 years ago imo
If anything, it has become easier. We've still got all the traditional methods plus online dating, allowing you to sort out dates while you are watching Corrie.

The lessening of the taboo around female promiscuity means both women and men who want to enjoy casual sex can do so more easily.

Specific to gay people, there was a time when meeting other gay people involved discrete adverts in papers, a handful of pubs in major cities (subject to police raids), or meeting up in gay cruising spots like public toilets or parks.
Just that people have stuff going on in their lives, and sometimes, not saying everyone does this, but people prefer to stay friends rather than to f*** up relationships and then y'know let it be awkward.
Oh and then there's the friendzoned people. We salute them.

I dis-agree with the first statement,theres already evidence in this decade that relationships are much harder then before.
Virginity rates have risen, and sexlessness rates are through the roof (No sex past year) for both genders, although male is much higher, and majority compared to women, is not by choice.

Womens movement such as modern feminism not only tells but urges them to post-pone family duties and chase studies & Carreers making them less likely to date, or take relationships seriously, guys on the other hand, the stats are scary because they are most affected, and most of them DO want a relationship to be in, but simply cant off numbers alone.

Also social media is to blame as it has a created a ''pick and choose'' type thing when it comes to dating, and most guys that are average are left in the dirt when the higher tier dudes get picked over and over again (Instagram/Tinder studies prove this)

To conclude:
I do think people are struggling more today then ever before to be quite frank.
The studies says so, and the numbers show.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AnonFromEu
I dis-agree with the first statement,theres already evidence in this decade that relationships are much harder then before.
Virginity rates have risen, and sexlessness rates are through the roof (No sex past year) for both genders, although male is much higher, and majority compared to women, is not by choice.

Womens movement such as modern feminism not only tells but urges them to post-pone family duties and chase studies & Carreers making them less likely to date, or take relationships seriously, guys on the other hand, the stats are scary because they are most affected, and most of them DO want a relationship to be in, but simply cant off numbers alone.

Also social media is to blame as it has a created a ''pick and choose'' type thing when it comes to dating, and most guys that are average are left in the dirt when the higher tier dudes get picked over and over again (Instagram/Tinder studies prove this)

To conclude:

Online dating has made it easier. I think unattractive people in general have a hard time regardless of gender. An obese or unattractive woman is going struggle equally as a unattractive man.
Online dating has made it easier. I think unattractive people in general have a hard time regardless of gender. An obese or unattractive woman is going struggle equally as a unattractive man.

Its made it easier for women, thats about all, men have to compete with the top percentage.

An obese-/unnattractive women still gets more successfull hits then an average dude I wish I was joking.
Look up the Pig Tinder experiement.

An obese or unattractive woman is going struggle equally as a unattractive man.

They are at a dis-advantage compared to pretty girls of course, but not as ''equally'' as an unattractive man, thats a lie.
Its made it easier for women, thats about all, men have to compete with the top percentage.

An obese-/unnattractive women still gets more successfull hits then an average dude I wish I was joking.
Look up the Pig Tinder experiement.

An obese or unattractive woman is going struggle equally as a unattractive man.

They are at a dis-advantage compared to pretty girls of course, but not as ''equally'' as an unattractive man, thats a lie.

The simple solution to men who struggle with online dating is simple: stop using it and revert actually meeting women using traditional methods.

So why do men who get nowhere online persist with behaviour that results in failure?
Online dating seems to be catered to those who are photogenic. You might look better irl than you do in photos and people would still swipe left because all they see are the un-photogenic pictures. I do believe men and women who struggle with these apps should try to look for others physically around them.
Reply 16

To conclude:

This decade being the one that started last year when the world went into lockdown? Yeah I didn't have a lot of sex either cause you know..... Lockdown.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending