Kittymity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi,

Does anyone know how o structure a 30 mark essay for wjec rs essay to get full 30 marks? I have been so confused about how to do so?

I have been told you can't have it balanced so does it need to be one-sided? but then it is not a critical analysis? So how are you supposed to organise it?
And what are you suppose to included in an introduction?

I use to do it like this:

Intro-
define key words and extra info about the topic and say if you support the argument or not.

Paragraph 1 agreeing with the statement
Paragraph 2 disagreeing with the statement

and repeat depending on how long the essay is

and finally concluded it by summing up points from only the side of the argument I support and saying which side I support.

I have been told it's wrong then how are you suppose to do it?
Minty001
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think the ideas that you support must have more points than the one's that you do not support e.g., 5 points against 3
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The essay needs to be balanced in the sense that it needs multiple points of view.

However it must not be balanced in the sense that you need to come to a strong conclusion and have your own clear point of view running throughout the essay.

The problem with the way you are currently structuring your essays is that you are not putting the arguments which agree with the statement against the arguments which disagree with the statement and judging which is better. You can try to do that a bit in the conclusion but it's almost impossible to do that effectively.

Just listening strengths and weaknesses of an argument is not evaluation. You need to say here is an argument for the statement, however then here is an argument against that argument itself. And vice versa. Then you need to give your judgement as to whether the first argument or the second one against it was successful and you'll have your evaluative conclusion for that paragraph and have done evaluation!

Structure it like this if you want full marks:

Intro:
define terms in the question
briefly say something about each side of the debate and what you're going to argue.

three paragraphs of this structure:

Part 1 - An argument for or against the question.
Part 2 - a criticism of the argument in part 1

You can then go back and forth with further arguments/counter-arguments depending on length, but you need to ultimately reach your judgement as to which side has the stronger/weaker argument and why. Then link back to the question

Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 paragraphs.

Conclusions need to sum up the whole essay: "because evaluative conclusion X was reach in paragraph 1, Argument Y was seen to fail in paragraph 2 and argument Z succeeded against criticism A in paragraph 3, the overall conclusion is... (answer to the question).
Last edited by Joe312; 4 weeks ago
Kittymity
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Joe312)
The essay needs to be balanced in the sense that it needs multiple points of view.

However it must not be balanced in the sense that you need to come to a strong conclusion and have your own clear point of view running throughout the essay.

The problem with the way you are currently structuring your essays is that you are not putting the arguments which agree with the statement against the arguments which disagree with the statement and judging which is better. You can try to do that a bit in the conclusion but it's almost impossible to do that effectively.

Just listening strengths and weaknesses of an argument is not evaluation. You need to say here is an argument for the statement, however then here is an argument against that argument itself. And vice versa. Then you need to give your judgement as to whether the first argument or the second one against it was successful and you'll have your evaluative conclusion for that paragraph and have done evaluation!

Structure it like this if you want full marks:

Intro:
define terms in the question
briefly say something about each side of the debate and what you're going to argue.

three paragraphs of this structure:

Part 1 - An argument for or against the question.
Part 2 - a criticism of the argument in part 1

You can then go back and forth with further arguments/counter-arguments depending on length, but you need to ultimately reach your judgement as to which side has the stronger/weaker argument and why. Then link back to the question

Repeat 2 more times for a total of 3 paragraphs.

Conclusions need to sum up the whole essay: "because evaluative conclusion X was reach in paragraph 1, Argument Y was seen to fail in paragraph 2 and argument Z succeeded against criticism A in paragraph 3, the overall conclusion is... (answer to the question).
Thank you so much, it makes a lot of sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (32)
86.49%
No (5)
13.51%

Watched Threads