A level chemistry help with a question :)

Watch
xAshley_
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all!

I just wanted an explanation on how to tackle this question, I got 174.64 for the molar mass of A but im unsure if this is right? any help would be appreciated

Bromine reacts with fluorine to form compound A. compound A is a liquid at room temperature and pressure but can easily be vaporised. When vaporised, 0.428g of A produces 76cm^3 of gas at 1.00x10^5 Pa and 373K. Determine the molar mass in gmol^-1 and the molecular formula of A.
bridiethomas
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm not in a position to work it out myself right now but I'm pretty sure it's the ideal gas equation pV=nRT and then rearrange for n which i think is n=pV/RT substitute the values in remembering to convert 76cm3 into m3 and then once you have n (number of moles) then do Mr=mass/moles using the 0.428g and moles you just worked out to get the Mr for A.
Hard to tell if I'm right without actually working it out myself but give it a go.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xAshley_)
Hi all!

I just wanted an explanation on how to tackle this question, I got 174.64 for the molar mass of A but im unsure if this is right? any help would be appreciated

Bromine reacts with fluorine to form compound A. compound A is a liquid at room temperature and pressure but can easily be vaporised. When vaporised, 0.428g of A produces 76cm^3 of gas at 1.00x10^5 Pa and 373K. Determine the molar mass in gmol^-1 and the molecular formula of A.
I'm getting a different answer. According to my calculations, the answer is 174.56. :erm:

Did you use the method provided by bridiethomas?
scimus63
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
is it;

Mr = mRT/pV
= (0.428 X 8.31 X 373) / (100 000 X 76 X 10-6)
= 1326.64/7.6
= 174.56
xAshley_
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I'm getting a different answer. According to my calculations, the answer is 174.56. :erm:

Did you use the method provided by bridiethomas?
(Original post by bridiethomas)
I'm not in a position to work it out myself right now but I'm pretty sure it's the ideal gas equation pV=nRT and then rearrange for n which i think is n=pV/RT substitute the values in remembering to convert 76cm3 into m3 and then once you have n (number of moles) then do Mr=mass/moles using the 0.428g and moles you just worked out to get the Mr for A.
Hard to tell if I'm right without actually working it out myself but give it a go.
Thank you both, I think I got slightly confused with converting cm3 into m3 but I see what I did wrong + I got the right answer this time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
87.32%
No (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads