The Student Room Group

National Rail Travelcard help?

Says on their page the following:
Your Travelcard must be valid for all the zones you travel in or through.”

Does this mean even if both my start and destinations are zones 2/3, i would still have to pay zone 1 fares because the train goes past zone 1 stations?

I thought it worked like tube zone fares lmao. Here’s the source: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46575.aspx
AFIK the majority, if not all, travelcards start at zone 1 and then expand outwards, i.e. you could buy 1-4, or 1-6, or 1-9, rather than purchasing per each individual zone you plan to travel through. I'd also sit down and work out if it actually makes financial sense to buy a travel card; nowadays, if you have a contactless debit card/phone payments, it may be easier and more economical to just use that for payments on tfl (remember there's a daily cap on the tube fare), especially if you're not planning on making lots of journeys to outer zones.
Reply 2
Original post by HousesInCork
AFIK the majority, if not all, travelcards start at zone 1 and then expand outwards, i.e. you could buy 1-4, or 1-6, or 1-9, rather than purchasing per each individual zone you plan to travel through. I'd also sit down and work out if it actually makes financial sense to buy a travel card; nowadays, if you have a contactless debit card/phone payments, it may be easier and more economical to just use that for payments on tfl (remember there's a daily cap on the tube fare), especially if you're not planning on making lots of journeys to outer zones.

The travelcard i was looking at was zones 2/3 only. Unfortunately I’ll be going to Uni 5 times a week, so at least 2 trips a day on TfL for me. And bizarrely, going on bus is actually quicker to my uni. Problem is, 15.5 quid a week on bus only travel becomes £744 annually and that only covers travel to and from uni strictly. zone 2/3 travelcards are less than £30 more expensive and they cover unlimited journeys as well as free bus travel.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Yessirski
The travelcard i was looking at was zones 2/3 only. Unfortunately I’ll be going to Uni 5 times a week, so at least 2 trips a day on TfL for me. And bizarrely, going on bus is actually quicker to my uni. Problem is, 15.5 quid a week on bus only travel becomes £744 annually and that only covers travel to and from uni strictly. zone 2/3 travelcards are less than £30 more expensive and they cover unlimited journeys as well as free bus travel.

That’s a bit similar to mine
My destination in zone 1 but I’m from zone 4 going to zone 6 by railway from zone 1
It’s very expensive and just a single travel is £20 and 20 for return 5x a week
I don’t know where I could be saving money :frown:
Idk if travel card is worth it if I would be going anywhere on the weekends and the risk of my lectures being cancelled
But I’ll take ur advice and sit down and carefully work everything out

Original post by HousesInCork

So ur saying it’s better to use contactless card than let’s say an 18+ Oyster card

Quick Reply

Latest