Struggling to get a job reference from my university

Watch
Econ.grad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I graduated university last year and after over a year I've finally managed to get a graduate job. I've needed a reference from a university personal tutor/lecturer and I've emailed many lecturers over the last couple of weeks but haven't had a response. A lot of the lecturers that taught me managed to leave after my final year of uni but the ones who have taught me aren't responding. I'm a bit worried now as I've been told I have to submit the form by tomorrow morning but I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice? Should I just put one of them down (most likely my former personal tutor) and hope that they respond? I'm a bit worried they might be on sabbatical or holiday and I won't get a reference at all.
Ash1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Econ.grad)
I graduated university last year and after over a year I've finally managed to get a graduate job. I've needed a reference from a university personal tutor/lecturer and I've emailed many lecturers over the last couple of weeks but haven't had a response. A lot of the lecturers that taught me managed to leave after my final year of uni but the ones who have taught me aren't responding. I'm a bit worried now as I've been told I have to submit the form by tomorrow morning but I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice? Should I just put one of them down (most likely my former personal tutor) and hope that they respond? I'm a bit worried they might be on sabbatical or holiday and I won't get a reference at all.
I did the exact when I got a job after leaving. The dissertation tutor luckily emailed me after a few weeks but I do recall him saying he doesn't even remember me 🤣 so I had to jog his memory.

How about contacting the alumni services at University or just ring the University and explain the situation to them that you need a person reference that way you can make sure the tutor is on a sabbatical or left??? There should be an option for maybe someone else to give the reference.
Econ.grad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ash1234)
I did the exact when I got a job after leaving. The dissertation tutor luckily emailed me after a few weeks but I do recall him saying he doesn't even remember me 🤣 so I had to jog his memory.

How about contacting the alumni services at University or just ring the University and explain the situation to them that you need a person reference that way you can make sure the tutor is on a sabbatical or left??? There should be an option for maybe someone else to give the reference.
I have no idea what our alumni services are. It’s so confusing! I tried looking for an email but couldn’t find one. I’m not sure what else to do because I’ve got less than 24 hours left.

If I did leave my former personal tutor’s email and the job doesn’t get a response would they just ask me for another referee?
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have no idea what our alumni services are. It’s so confusing! I tried looking for an email but couldn’t find one. I’m not sure what else to do because I’ve got less than 24 hours left.

If I did leave my former personal tutor’s email and the job doesn’t get a response would they just ask me for another referee?
Just ring the University I'd say see what department can help. All Universities will be open now say you graduated and looking for a reference.

Yes they will just ask for another referee.
Econ.grad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just ring the University I'd say see what department can help. All Universities will be open now say you graduated and looking for a reference.

Yes they will just ask for another referee.
I ended up putting down my former personal tutor but have just found out that he’s left the uni. So I’ve been asked for another referee now because they couldn’t contact him.

I also called up my uni admin yesterday but apparently they’re not in a position to help. I’m guessing that means I need to ask another lecturer but it’s pretty awkward to reintroduce myself, especially when most of them won’t remember me. Any advice?
Ash1234
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I ended up putting down my former personal tutor but have just found out that he’s left the uni. So I’ve been asked for another referee now because they couldn’t contact him.

I also called up my uni admin yesterday but apparently they’re not in a position to help. I’m guessing that means I need to ask another lecturer but it’s pretty awkward to reintroduce myself, especially when most of them won’t remember me. Any advice?
Honestly I just messaged "oh I was on your class..." I'm talking like 2.5/ 2 years since graduating too 🤣. Tbh he didn't really even remember me as the lecturer himself wrote can't really recall you 🤣 but yes I will do it.

Just say the situation be honest I'm sure alot of them get these requests..say what the University admin said to you as well. Say how the job will help you with career etc
Econ.grad
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Honestly I just messaged "oh I was on your class..." I'm talking like 2.5/ 2 years since graduating too 🤣. Tbh he didn't really even remember me as the lecturer himself wrote can't really recall you 🤣 but yes I will do it.

Just say the situation be honest I'm sure alot of them get these requests..say what the University admin said to you as well. Say how the job will help you with career etc
Oh okay. I’ve tried to draft something so what do you think about this

“Dear ___,

I am a former undergraduate student at the university (graduated in 2020) and you were one of my lecturers [do I need to mention the module?]. I have recently been offered a job and am required to provide an academic reference. I have tried emailing the lecturer who was my personal tutor but I am assuming that they have left the university. So I was wondering if it would be okay for me to put you down as a referee. I would be extremely grateful if you could deal with this request.

Kind regards,
___”
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (160)
84.66%
No (29)
15.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise