What do prestigious universities think of Open University courses in secondary school

Watch
justlearning1469
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I've been thinking, there are various elite students who find GCSEs and A-levels not that difficult, along with various free periods.

There are some of them who might use their free periods/Saturdays for Open University courses.

What do you think of this dual-enrolment?
justlearning1469
Rep:
?
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
I think a uni would look very favourably on that you might even be able to jump right on to second year as long as your grades are good. Hell if you complete an OU degree along side your GCSE and A level you would probably be able to go straight on to a masters.
'I think a uni would look very favourably'
I mean having the real thing of university before university definitely aids university studies,

'you might even be able to jump right on to second year'
How many people have jumped to the 2nd year of a university in the top 10 in UK (QS)?
Oxbridge, top London universities, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol?

'as long as your grades are good'
Even in a rank 601-800 university (THE)?

'Hell if you complete an OU degree along side your GCSE and A level you would probably be able to go straight on to a masters.'
Has anyone ever completed an OU degree alongside that? Also what are the chances of skipping to PhD?
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by justlearning1469)
I mean having the real thing of university before university definitely aids university studies,

How many people have jumped to the 2nd year of a university in the top 10 in UK (QS)?

'Hell if you complete an OU degree along side your GCSE and A level you would probably be able to go straight on to a masters.'
Has anyone ever completed an OU degree alongside that? Also what are the chances of skipping to PhD?
Well yeah

I don't know but as long as the units tie up it should be ok if you have just completed the first year.

What?

I don't know you'd need a masters before a PhD the OU do provide real degrees it would be tough and thinking about it I'm actually not sure it would be allowed seeing as you won't have the grades yet.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ok so the OU provides real degree you can't do it before your A levels results have come out sorry if my original post was misleading I just hadn't thought it through.
Last edited by jonathanemptage; 3 weeks ago
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
On what basis are you stating that? Learning at home, while at school, through the OU is nothing like going to a brick university.

. None. The only way to get into the second year would be to have successfully completed a first year at another institution. The higher you go in the uni rankings, the less likely this is to happen as these unis don't want to dilute/risk their perceived degree prestige.

They aren't prestigious universities.

. Absolutely no chance. There's a vanishingly small chance that one of these mathmo child prodigies has done GCSEs at 8, A levels at 10, undergrad by about 16 and then might go on to a Masters at 17 or 18, but mostly sense prevails and someone steps in to allow real life and maturing to interceded.
emma1508
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
unless these secondary school pupils have either £3000 per module or the ability to get a student loan whilst still in secondary school, no one is doing OU courses. Open learn courses maybe, which are free courses you can do with a spare few hours and are "tasters" for actual modules.
Last edited by emma1508; 3 weeks ago
justlearning1469
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
On what basis are you stating that? Learning at home, while at school, through the OU is nothing like going to a brick university.

. None. The only way to get into the second year would be to have successfully completed a first year at another institution. The higher you go in the uni rankings, the less likely this is to happen as these unis don't want to dilute/risk their perceived degree prestige.

They aren't prestigious universities.

. Absolutely no chance. There's a vanishingly small chance that one of these mathmo child prodigies has done GCSEs at 8, A levels at 10, undergrad by about 16 and then might go on to a Masters at 17 or 18, but mostly sense prevails and someone steps in to allow real life and maturing to interceded.
'On what basis are you stating that? Learning at home, while at school, through the OU is nothing like going to a brick university.'
Well at least the content is pretty similar. And you do have access to some decent lecturers.

'None. The only way to get into the second year would be to have successfully completed a first year at another institution. The higher you go in the uni rankings, the less likely this is to happen as these unis don't want to dilute/risk their perceived degree prestige.'
I remember there was a Guardian article where one person managed to obtain direct entry to 2nd year in Oxford some time ago.

'They aren't prestigious universities.'
I mean rank 600-800 isn't prestigious at all.

'There's a vanishingly small chance that one of these mathmo child prodigies has done GCSEs at 8, A levels at 10, undergrad by about 16 and then might go on to a Masters at 17 or 18, but mostly sense prevails and someone steps in to allow real life and maturing to interceded.'
That is pretty true. Plus I wasn't saying going for OU degree at all (really small chance), just a module or two along with a student's GCSE and A-level studies.
Last edited by justlearning1469; 3 weeks ago
justlearning1469
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma1508)
unless these secondary school pupils have either £3000 per module or the ability to get a student loan whilst still in secondary school, no one is doing OU courses. Open learn courses maybe, which are free courses you can do with a spare few hours and are "tasters" for actual modules.
'unless these secondary school pupils have either £3000 per module or the ability to get a student loan whilst still in secondary school, no one is doing OU courses.'
Or the parents generously offer to pay for it for their elite secondary student to study part-time online in OU.

'Open learn courses maybe, which are free courses you can do with a spare few hours and are "tasters" for actual modules.'
Well there are always those who are ready for (almost) the real thing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads