The Student Room Group

didn't take british gcse (ucas help)

hi, I didn't take the gcses in the UK, although i had the equivalent things which were taken in malaysia. should i add them in the ucas 'education' and qualification section?
Original post by lostapplicant
hi, I didn't take the gcses in the UK, although i had the equivalent things which were taken in malaysia. should i add them in the ucas 'education' and qualification section?

Yes they're IGCSEs, that should be an option on UCAS
Original post by spectrum84
Yes they're IGCSEs, that should be an option on UCAS

The OP has not stated they did IGCSEs, just that they did the Malaysian equivalent level of education - that is probably an entirely different qualification. If so they should not list them as IGCSEs as that would be classed as a fraudulent application by UCAS!

However yes you should include your full high school educational history on your UCAS application. Make sure to use the correct qualifications and grades as you received them. Do not try to "convert" between your country's system and the UK format - the universities you are applying to will judge your qualifications in the context of your country's education system directly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
The OP has not stated they did IGCSEs, just that they did the Malaysian equivalent level of education - that is probably an entirely different qualification. If so they should not list them as IGCSEs as that would be classed as a fraudulent application by UCAS!

Oh right, I just assumed it was IGCSE as he said it's the equivalent. My bad :colondollar:

However yes you should include your full high school educational history on your UCAS application. Make sure to use the correct qualifications and grades as you received them. Do not try to "convert" between your country's system and the UK format - the universities you are applying to will judge your qualifications in the context of your country's education system directly.

yh i took the completely different exams in malaysia and can't be converted to gcse grades in anyway. So should I just add my middle school name+qualification just as they appear on my school report from malaysia?
Original post by spectrum84
Oh right, I just assumed it was IGCSE as he said it's the equivalent. My bad

no i didn't take igcse. so do you think i should add my qualifications to ucas?i don't think ucas would recognise it tho
yh i took the completely different exams in malaysia and can't be converted to gcse grades in anyway. So should I just add my middle school name+qualification just as they appear on my school report from malaysia?

So you only need to include high school qualifications on UCAS - anything from before the age of ~14 I think is normally not included for UK students. Just 14-18 education normally should be included.

Otherwise yes just include the qualifications as they appear on your official documentation in your country :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
So you only need to include high school qualifications on UCAS - anything from before the age of ~14 I think is normally not included for UK students. Just 14-18 education normally should be included.

Otherwise yes just include the qualifications as they appear on your official documentation in your country :smile:

thank you for your reply!! can i ask another thing about graduate entry - i studied chemistry at imperial and the programme was 4years, called an MSci degree. But i didn't find the corresponding degree in ucas as 'MSci', the only thing they have there is 'MSc' which is a 1 year master programme (not my one).
currently i just added 'other' as my qualification and typed in MSci chemistry manually in the education section
thank you for your reply!! can i ask another thing about graduate entry - i studied chemistry at imperial and the programme was 4years, called an MSci degree. But i didn't find the corresponding degree in ucas as 'MSci', the only thing they have there is 'MSc' which is a 1 year master programme (not my one).
currently i just added 'other' as my qualification and typed in MSci chemistry manually in the education section

Bit surprised the MSci isn't in there since it's quite a common qualfiication. You are entering this under Imperial College and not your high school right?

I think entering it manually would be correct approach. Perhaps contact UCAS to ask them directly though, just to make sure!
Bit surprised the MSci isn't in there since it's quite a common qualfiication. You are entering this under Imperial College and not your high school right?

I think entering it manually would be correct approach. Perhaps contact UCAS to ask them directly though, just to make sure!

And do u possibly know if I need to add my predicted grade (2.1 honour) on ucas? It looks like the only thing I can add for result is pending, as I haven’t graduated yet
And do u possibly know if I need to add my predicted grade (2.1 honour) on ucas? It looks like the only thing I can add for result is pending, as I haven’t graduated yet

I think you can put pending and then your predicted classification, although it's been a while since I've had to fill in that bit of UCAS! @PQ might know if it's possible to list pending degree classifications in UCAS?

You put pending. Your referee will be asked to provide a predicted grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending