Hayleysweeney39
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
How alike are these two degrees? Has anyone else been torn?
JasmineAcademic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Although they sound very similar, these courses lead to very different career prospects. The main thing to decide is what is it you want to do when you leave university? What job is it that you want to do.

Social work degrees are accredited and would lead to a straight career as a social worker on relatively good money. You of course don’t have to be a social worker but that is the main career path of those that choose to do this degree as it’s very specific and leads directly to work.

I’m not saying the community or youth work wouldn’t lead to anything but it’s would be more difficult as it isn’t specific. For instance, you may work in a community centre as a manager for youth projects during the summer or after schools etc. You could potentially work with children that offend and need rehabilitating back into school and the community.

I’m not saying to be driven by money at all because as long as you’re happy in a job that’s really all that matters but social workers (with a quick google search) earn around £24/30k newly qualified, whereas a youth worker would earn around £18k to begin with and be able to increase this of course depending on job and level you are working at.

Youth workers would work with children on a weekly basis within a school or community centre whereas a social worker is much more involved in home life and personal care of the child and have a lot more responsibility hence the increase in wage.

Btw my cousin is a social worker and my friend has just finished uni in year 2 of youth work due to having a baby so I’ve heard a lot about each.

Hope that helps
Hayleysweeney39
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thank you, that really does help me. I really appreciate that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (240)
57.55%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.71%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.63%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.32%

Watched Threads