username4910484
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am looking for some advice on writing appropriate work emails.

Most work emails that I receive start with a sentence that asks about how I am doing. I realise this is just an extension of hello- it’s a greeting and not an invitation to share how my week has actually been.

However, I am unsure of how I am expected to respond.

Another thing- when ever I write work emails, I get straight to the point, it’s rare for them to be longer than a few lines. Are people going to read anything into that?
josh_v
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This was something I struggled with when I first started. I was reading and rereading every email multiple times and getting very little done. Its so easy to overthink. Realistically you dont need to ask how they are. Getting to the point is fine. If youre new in role, then with time will come confidence and you'll find this much easier.

I used to agonise over every word. I now often send emails without putting their name or where the email is just a sentence long and nothing else. Obviously this wont be the case for everywhere and depends on your office culture but it does get easier.
username4986690
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I totally ignore those pointless platitudes at the start of emails and just get straight to the point.

But I will always start the first email of the day with Good Morning/Afternoon and sign off with Kind Regards. Or just Regards if it is a stern email.

If I need to write anything more than a few lines I will call them instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (265)
57.73%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (61)
13.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (48)
10.46%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (40)
8.71%
I haven't started researching yet (25)
5.45%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed