where to apply for medicine with these stats :(

Watch
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello please could I get some advice on where I could apply for Medicine with these stats, and whether I even have a chance to do Medicine anymore ...
GCSEs: 98888877766 (achieved the 9 and 8s in Maths, Sciences and English)
UCAT: 2440 Band 1 (average=610)
Teacher Assessed A Level Grades: BBB
Now doing Autumn A level exams next month and reapplying, hoping to achieve AAA.
I already have quite limited prospects in uni choices for Medicine due to sitting the October exams as I know some of the unis don't recognise it as a first sit, and now I have a low UCAT score too. Are there any universities who would be happy to accept me provided I achieve AAA this Autumn and with the low UCAT score?
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DaQuestioner)
Hello please could I get some advice on where I could apply for Medicine with these stats, and whether I even have a chance to do Medicine anymore ...
Now doing Autumn A level exams next month and reapplying, hoping to achieve AAA.
I already have quite limited prospects in uni choices for Medicine due to sitting the October exams as I know some of the unis don't recognise it as a first sit, and now I have a low UCAT score too. Are there any universities who would be happy to accept me provided I achieve AAA this Autumn and with the low UCAT score?
If u post ur stats here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6864776 u'll get better responses
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
(Original post by spectrum84)
If u post ur stats here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6864776 u'll get better responses
I did do around 6 days ago but had no replies
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did do around 6 days ago but had no replies
I am sorry to hear that, I think the med school thread has been really busy. I'll try and give u an idea where to apply
I'm not sure about resit policy, u should email to ask, but I can tell u which unis u should apply to based on ur UCAT and GCSEs

HYMS may give u an offer if ur in the 4th decile or above, which we won't know until the end of the UCAT testing cycle.
Liverpool may also be an option

Risky unis:
Sheffield - cutoff of 2430 but generally have an interview cutoff around 2700)
Newcastle - their interview cutoff last year for A100 was 2730

I'm sorry I can't be much more help, it's a shame u aren't getting any replies in the which med skl thread, good luck
hungrysalamander
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am sorry to hear that, I think the med school thread has been really busy. I'll try and give u an idea where to apply
I'm not sure about resit policy, u should email to ask, but I can tell u which unis u should apply to based on ur UCAT and GCSEs

HYMS may give u an offer if ur in the 4th decile or above, which we won't know until the end of the UCAT testing cycle.

Risky unis:

I'm sorry I can't be much more help, it's a shame u aren't getting any replies in the which med skl thread, good luck
Correction- That was the PARTNERS Cutoff. The non-PARTNERS cutoff was 2820.
KMMS, Cardiff, QUB, Liverpool could be good choices. Taking the BMAT could open more choices for you as I know someone who was rejected pre-interview at Cardiff with their lowest GCSE being 2 7's, the rest were 8/9.
Last edited by hungrysalamander; 1 month ago
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?

Risky unis:

Thanks a lot . According to interim UCAT results, I am in the third decile... I worked out that in terms of Hull York interview scoring, I would score 30/30 for GCSE results, 15/15 for SJT band but around 12/40 for UCAT, so my total score would be 57 although I can't seem to find out how many points I would need to get an interview...there might be a chance for me there. Their resit policy is fine as they consider resits as long as you get BBB the first time, which I did.
Thanks for telling me about Liverpool, I'll check it out! won't apply to any risky unis, I'll be happy applying to 2 med schools, and will leave all my other options as backup courses as the chances of me doing med are honestly quite low rn
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Correction- That was the PARTNERS Cutoff. The non-PARTNERS cutoff was 2820.
KMMS, Cardiff, QUB, Liverpool could be good choices. Taking the BMAT could open more choices for you as I know someone who was rejected pre-interview at Cardiff with their lowest GCSE being 2 7's, the rest were 8/9.
Thanks for replying
I know KMMS do a lot of contextualising so I may have a low chance there as I don't qualify for any Widening Participation etc. Oh that person's GCSEs are quite a lot better than mine, maybe Cardiff isn't really an option for me then . I don't think the BMAT is an option for me though because my last a level exam is on 19th October and BMAT is in the first week of November so I will not really have much time to prepare and get a good score in that. Thanks for telling me about QUB and Liverpool, I will look into those!
hungrysalamander
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for replying
I know KMMS do a lot of contextualising so I may have a low chance there as I don't qualify for any Widening Participation etc. Oh that person's GCSEs are quite a lot better than mine, maybe Cardiff isn't really an option for me then . I don't think the BMAT is an option for me though because my last a level exam is on 19th October and BMAT is in the first week of November so I will not really have much time to prepare and get a good score in that. Thanks for telling me about QUB and Liverpool, I will look into those!
Have you taken the BMAT before? 2 weeks should be fine if you just need to recap but don't worry if you haven't. I might be wrong but Lancaster might have a lower BMAT cutoff so look into that. Dundee could also be an option as they don't have a UCAT cutoff but their RUK places are limited. Keep in mind that interim deciles are usually 60-80 points higher than the final ones so you could still have a chance at HYMS.
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks a lot . According to interim UCAT results, I am in the third decile... I worked out that in terms of Hull York interview scoring, I would score 30/30 for GCSE results, 15/15 for SJT band but around 12/40 for UCAT, so my total score would be 57 although I can't seem to find out how many points I would need to get an interview...there might be a chance for me there. Their resit policy is fine as they consider resits as long as you get BBB the first time, which I did.
Thanks for telling me about Liverpool, I'll check it out! won't apply to any risky unis, I'll be happy applying to 2 med schools, and will leave all my other options as backup courses as the chances of me doing med are honestly quite low rn
Liverpool is a good one, last year they had GCSE: UCAT ratio as 3:1, I'm not sure about this year tho.
That's a good strategy, but if u don't get in this year u can always take anther gap year and apply for 2023 entry
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ARU and Aston are reasonable choices.
You could look at Liverpool and Plymouth, but I think there is a chance they may climb above your score this year.
Keele and Sunderland are options if you have material for their R&R form
2440 is likely to be at least 4th decile, but I think that may be just a little low for HYMS.
Cannot work out your Lincoln score as you have not posted a stats breakdown
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
You could look at Liverpool and Plymouth, but I think there is a chance they may climb above your score this year.
2440 is likely to be at least 4th decile, but I think that may be just a little low for HYMS.
Thank you very much! I did get an offer from Aston last year but sadly didn't meet the grades, though my UCAT was 2610 back then and I have done much worse now . I applied to Keele and Sunderland last year too and got a pre-interview rejection from Keele which I think was down to my R&R form, and a post-interview rejection from Sunderland. Yes I think HYMS, Liverpool & Plymouth are a bit risky so maybe won't apply there. Sorry I forgot about the score breakdown, it is: Verbal Reasoning 600, Decision Making 650, Quantitative Reasoning 680, Abstract Reasoning 510 and Band 1 in SJT.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you very much! I did get an offer from Aston last year but sadly didn't meet the grades, though my UCAT was 2610 back then and I have done much worse now . I applied to Keele and Sunderland last year too and got a pre-interview rejection from Keele which I think was down to my R&R form, and a post-interview rejection from Sunderland. Yes I think HYMS, Liverpool & Plymouth are a bit risky so maybe won't apply there. Sorry I forgot about the score breakdown, it is: Verbal Reasoning 600, Decision Making 650, Quantitative Reasoning 680, Abstract Reasoning 510 and Band 1 in SJT.
Then you rpobably sit right around Lincoln's possible cut off, Could have done with VR being 610, then would have 4 more points......
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
Then you rpobably sit right around Lincoln's possible cut off, Could have done with VR being 610, then would have 4 more points......
Oh that's unfortunate, but thank you very much for your advice!
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi sorry just one more question: do you know for a fact that Aston, ARU and Sunderland would accept me if I pass interview and achieve AAA in these autumn exams? For example, their websites say things like "resits are only accepted in exceptional circumstances" and don't mention the autumn exams. Some of my friends have told me that everyone accepts autumn exams but I'm not sure what to believe?
Last edited by DaQuestioner; 3 weeks ago
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi sorry just one more question: do you know for a fact that Aston, ARU and Sunderland would accept me if I pass interview and achieve AAA in these autumn exams? For example, their websites say things like "resits are only accepted in exceptional circumstances" and don't mention the autumn exams. Some of my friends have told me that everyone accepts autumn exams but I'm not sure what to believe?
I do not know it for a fact, no. But all of them accept resits anyway and most med schools are considering autumn exams a first sitting. You need to check for yourself they are happy wiht your TAGs grades and resits
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I do not know it for a fact, no. But all of them accept resits anyway and most med schools are considering autumn exams a first sitting. You need to check for yourself they are happy wiht your TAGs grades and resits
thanks a lot I'll try calling them
marble arch
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
thanks a lot I'll try calling them
Aston does it says 'Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered'
DaQuestioner
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by marble arch)
Aston does it says 'Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered'
no it says they have to provide an explanation for it, but I am going to call them and see if this has changed after covid
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
87.32%
No (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads