Worried about getting ill in Halls at UNI

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hellooo,

I am due to move into halls in 3 days. I'm scared because im on drugs that dampen my immune system, so if I catch even a cold it could be serious. Is it likely that I'll catch frequent colds in halls and at uni if I don't go clubbing? I might have to sacrifice this for my health. I also have an ensuite. What do you guys think? Any advice is appreciated. I also have the option to commute to uni from home but I wanted to experience living in halls
JasmineAcademic
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
Hey,

Not sure what kind of drugs your on or how long you will be on them for but have you spoken to your doctor about going to live in the halls and being on that specific medicine? They really would be the best people to ask in that instance. I wouldn’t want to say oh you’ll be fine and then you go and catch something.

Different medicines have the ability of affecting the immune system but these effects in everyone are different. Oral medicine is usually only around 50% effective as the remaining drug is excreted in the urine. Just because a side effect says it will do something, this doesn’t necessarily mean it will happen. If your doctor and family are happy for you to go to uni, trust their instinct. It is very common to catch “fresher flu” in the first few weeks of uni but I never did because I didn’t go out like everyone else! There maybe instances where you have to catch a bus but try and sit near and open window or if it’s too packed wait for another or walk to the stop before. If you’re sharing bathrooms get showered in the morning before everyone else does! Most people just seem to crawl out of bed and just make there lectures so doubt they’ll have time in the morning to shower and get ready lol!

Look at some natural remedies to boost your immune system whilst you’re there like green tea and lemon etc vitamin c is crucial for immune health so do all you can to protect yourself but don’t overthink it and worry as stress is one of the worst things out there for the immune system.
Last edited by JasmineAcademic; 10 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JasmineAcademic)
Hey,

Not sure what kind of drugs your on or how long you will be on them for but have you spoken to your doctor about going to live in the halls and being on that specific medicine? They really would be the best people to ask in that instance. I wouldn’t want to say oh you’ll be fine and then you go and catch something.

Different medicines have the ability of affecting the immune system but these effects in everyone are different. Oral medicine is usually only around 50% effective as the remaining drug is excreted in the urine. Just because a side effect says it will do something, this doesn’t necessarily mean it will happen. If your doctor and family are happy for you to go to uni, trust their instinct. It is very common to catch “fresher flu” in the first few weeks of uni but I never did because I didn’t go out like everyone else! There maybe instances where you have to catch a bus but try and sit near and open window or if it’s too packed wait for another or walk to the stop before. If you’re sharing bathrooms get showered in the morning before everyone else does! Most people just seem to crawl out of bed and just make there lectures so doubt they’ll have time in the morning to shower and get ready lol!

Look at some natural remedies to boost your immune system whilst you’re there like green tea and lemon etc vitamin c is crucial for immune health so do all you can to protect yourself but don’t overthink it and worry as stress is one of the worst things out there for the immune system.
Thank you so so much!! I'm gonna take some supplements and vitamin c. I don't think I'll be going clubbing because I want to be extra cautious, do you think I should be fine in the halls if I keep myself clean and I have my own bathroom. My nurse didn't seem concerned and just said to avoid people with visible cold symptoms.
JasmineAcademic
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
If your nurse thinks you will be fine that really does say it all. They wouldn’t recommend you staying in halls if you were too susceptible to illness or anything so that’s good she said that. Don’t worry there are soo many things to do that don’t involve clubbing and stuff! I mean I always preferred to go for food and a few drinks or do something over than drink so you’ll be fine and not left alone because you don’t want to do that! You will find lots of people like yourself that don’t always want to go to the clubs lol
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JasmineAcademic)
If your nurse thinks you will be fine that really does say it all. They wouldn’t recommend you staying in halls if you were too susceptible to illness or anything so that’s good she said that. Don’t worry there are soo many things to do that don’t involve clubbing and stuff! I mean I always preferred to go for food and a few drinks or do something over than drink so you’ll be fine and not left alone because you don’t want to do that! You will find lots of people like yourself that don’t always want to go to the clubs lol
Thank you so much honestly this was so reassuring to hear.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
If you're on immunosuppressants you should discuss this with the prescribing physician. Depending on exactly how much they suppress your immune system it may require additional considerations. A medical professional's advice is worth far more than some random students on the internet!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (70)
40.7%
They're exactly what I expected (40)
23.26%