The Student Room Group

Wi-Fi is driving me insane!

Hi! So I’m at Glasgow Uni and living in halls. The WiFi, for whatever reason, won’t work for me. Now it’s bad enough that I can’t watch Netflix or listen to music but this year, with 2/3 of my classes online, it’s gonna **** up my education! I can’t access lectures or anything because the WiFi cuts out every other minute! Everyone else has no problems, it’s just me.
Original post by daymeetsnight
Hi! So I’m at Glasgow Uni and living in halls. The WiFi, for whatever reason, won’t work for me. Now it’s bad enough that I can’t watch Netflix or listen to music but this year, with 2/3 of my classes online, it’s gonna **** up my education! I can’t access lectures or anything because the WiFi cuts out every other minute! Everyone else has no problems, it’s just me.

Hi,
Congrats on getting another year under your belt!

I was having the same problem in my new halls of residence and there are a few things (that I know) that you can do about it;
1- buy a wifi repeater/ wifi booster (mine was £5 from eBay) to boost the wifi signal in your room.
2- Go to the IT service desk at your university and explain to them your problem and see if they can help you out.

Hopefully this helps you out,
Goodness.
Reply 2
Original post by Oxford Brookes University
Hi,
Congrats on getting another year under your belt!

I was having the same problem in my new halls of residence and there are a few things (that I know) that you can do about it;
1- buy a wifi repeater/ wifi booster (mine was £5 from eBay) to boost the wifi signal in your room.
2- Go to the IT service desk at your university and explain to them your problem and see if they can help you out.

Hopefully this helps you out,
Goodness.

Wifi repeaters don't work at a lot of institutions owing to the type of security on the routers, so if you are gonna do this, make sure it will work. Speaking to IT ought to be option 1, and the repeater option 2, if IT say it will work (which it mightn't)

Are you sure, OP, that the wireless card in your device (are we talking about a laptop) is up to spec? I took an old laptop with me to Oxon and the internet was crap because my wifi card was crap. I just got a new laptop in the end, problem solved.
Reply 3
Original post by gjd800
Are you sure, OP, that the wireless card in your device (are we talking about a laptop) is up to spec? I took an old laptop with me to Oxon and the internet was crap because my wifi card was crap. I just got a new laptop in the end, problem solved.

Another possibility is that the wifi card is fine, but the driver for it needs to be updated.

Quick Reply

Latest