Bambibam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Is physiotherapy the wrong career for me? I am considering it as I like the balance between the psychosocial understanding of care as well as the ability to (usually?) guarantee recovery using Biology. Plus I like anatomy a lot. I'd like to work with the disabled or elderly, I also want to bond with patients.

However, I have little experience in everything sports, nor am I very interested in sporty things, as well as this, I'm more interested in psychosocial aspects of the course specifically than the Biological.

Do physio courses tend to include more biology?
Do I need to expand my athletic interests so I can enjoy the course/job? (Aka how much energy and athletic ability does the practical/job require of me?)
Should I be doing the course when my interests are more to do with care than a genuine interest in physio?

I can't shadow because I'm a bit paranoid of COVID right now, but through online courses and talking to people in healthcare, I've been told there is thorough psychosocial involvement when studying and working in physio several times but I'm finding it hard to believe from what I see online.
ladyasprin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I read this and think you should look into Occupational Therapy as we look into how a persons 'problem' affects how they are able to perform/participate in chosen occupations.

We can work with any type of client ranging from neonates to hospice/palliative care and we work in both physical and mental disabilities.

With both physio and occupational therapy depending on where you're working you are not necessarily going to be working with the clients for a long period of time often they are referred to the service, assessed, given the intervention, evaluated and discharged - they may be re-referred again and again depending on how the intervention works or how their health changes.
anonymous789123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Bambibam)
Is physiotherapy the wrong career for me? I am considering it as I like the balance between the psychosocial understanding of care as well as the ability to (usually?) guarantee recovery using Biology. Plus I like anatomy a lot. I'd like to work with the disabled or elderly, I also want to bond with patients.

However, I have little experience in everything sports, nor am I very interested in sporty things, as well as this, I'm more interested in psychosocial aspects of the course specifically than the Biological.

Do physio courses tend to include more biology?
Do I need to expand my athletic interests so I can enjoy the course/job? (Aka how much energy and athletic ability does the practical/job require of me?)
Should I be doing the course when my interests are more to do with care than a genuine interest in physio?

I can't shadow because I'm a bit paranoid of COVID right now, but through online courses and talking to people in healthcare, I've been told there is thorough psychosocial involvement when studying and working in physio several times but I'm finding it hard to believe from what I see online.
Physio is way more than sports. Im current doing physio MSc and have worked as an assistant in the NHS. I don't like sport injury Physio and by no means will you be pushed into that. Sports Physio is the general publics little knowledge of the profession. My advice is shadow within the NHS and see medically ill patients and what interests you throughout the MDT. I doubt you would get on any heal care course without experience in some form either. But honestly Sport is only Musculoskelatal, whereas physio covers cardiorespitory and neurological skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (181)
55.52%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (45)
13.8%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (36)
11.04%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (31)
9.51%
I haven't started researching yet (18)
5.52%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.6%

Watched Threads