The Student Room Group

Job with no experience at 19?

I am not very good with people and have no experience. Are there any jobs relating to history or politics that I could get without experience?
Original post by Xiphos
I am not very good with people and have no experience. Are there any jobs relating to history or politics that I could get without experience?

It's too much of a blanket question. First you are very unlikely to have 'no experience' unless you've been living a very extreme life. Second, there are hundreds of jobs relating to history or politics - narrow it down a little by what skills and qualifications you have.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It's too much of a blanket question. First you are very unlikely to have 'no experience' unless you've been living a very extreme life. Second, there are hundreds of jobs relating to history or politics - narrow it down a little by what skills and qualifications you have.

I have 10 GCSE's and 3 A-level's. That is all; no experience in the 'job market'.
Original post by Xiphos
I have 10 GCSE's and 3 A-level's. That is all; no experience in the 'job market'.

But no-one has experience in the job market when they get their first job. Experience isn't all about the workplace. Relevant experience can be transferred from school, sports, activities, societies, DofE, YE, NCS, faith groups, volunteering etc etc. You use that to get the first job and work your way up from there.
Reply 4
But no-one has experience in the job market when they get their first job. Experience isn't all about the workplace. Relevant experience can be transferred from school, sports, activities, societies, DofE, YE, NCS, faith groups, volunteering etc etc. You use that to get the first job and work your way up from there.

No extracurricular things to mention I'm afraid.
Original post by Xiphos
No extracurricular things to mention I'm afraid.

So in the 8 hours of every day that you aren't in education or sleeping, you have done nothing that has equipped you with any useful skills at all? If not, then you aren't able to get a job, and you need to fix the issue by getting a lot of volunteering done.

Fortunately there are lots of voluntary roles in politics and history/heritage.
Reply 6
So in the 8 hours of every day that you aren't in education or sleeping, you have done nothing that has equipped you with any useful skills at all? If not, then you aren't able to get a job, and you need to fix the issue by getting a lot of volunteering done.

Fortunately there are lots of voluntary roles in politics and history/heritage.

Now you're getting it
Original post by Xiphos
Now you're getting it

Well no, there aren'y any jobs you can get if you've done nothing and acquired no skills. Get volunteering and develop skills asap.
Reply 8
Well no, there aren'y any jobs you can get if you've done nothing and acquired no skills. Get volunteering and develop skills asap.

I'm not quite sure how you didn't realize that was a joke but nevermind
for smth related to politics, you could shadow a local MP?
In those areas, not to my awareness, but it is a very buoyant job market in some areas, so you could get experience in general terms... possibly even transferrable to your longer term career target.
Reply 11
Original post by kyungsoo
for smth related to politics, you could shadow a local MP?

I don't know how to delete this thread. Thanks for the answer but, dw about it. It looks like my only option is some meaningless job; I don't care anymore.
Original post by Xiphos
I don't know how to delete this thread. Thanks for the answer but, dw about it. It looks like my only option is some meaningless job; I don't care anymore.

Wouldn't agree. It depends on what you want to do specifically, but transferrable skills are a thing and apprenticeships are available as a method to gain skills and build experience, even if not in the specific area you want to work in. I am not sure what your background or existing skillset is, but look into how to answer competency questions.
This is my advice. Volunteer at a local museum or history event. Find out more. Consider helping out at some museum educational events, and so on. Have a look online or call in order to learn a bit more. Discuss it via email or over the phone etc. Look at the museum website too, they often tend to put more information on there about future events. Browse their jobs section. You can find some good ones to your liking.
Original post by Xiphos

lmao you said yourself that you hv no experience? No paid job is going to drop into ur lap just like that. Find out what u want to do n then get experience to try n get there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending