souxies
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am currently studying business with Human Resources management. I am have been considering teaching in a secondary school or in FE.
Which subjects could I train to teach in with my degree?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by souxies)
I am currently studying business with Human Resources management. I am have been considering teaching in a secondary school or in FE.
Which subjects could I train to teach in with my degree?
Different teacher training providers will have different expectations in terms of qualifications.

Some will want at least 50% of your degree to be relevant to the subject you wish to train - so you could probably go for Business Studies, maybe Economics. Others will accept just having a decent A-level grade in the subject, however they will usually want you to do a SKE to improve your subject knowledge. Check the entry requirements for a few local training providers to get an idea of what they expect.

Employment options after teacher training may be more limited if you're perceived to have a weak background in the subject. For example, say you've trained as a biology teacher with just a B at A-level and an unrelated degree, some schools may not consider that sufficient and so wouldn't consider your application for a job, even if you've successfully completed training as a biology teacher. For some subjects that often struggle to recruit - like maths and computer science - this may be less of an issue than with oversubscribed subjects - like history.
souxies
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Different teacher training providers will have different expectations in terms of qualifications.

Some will want at least 50% of your degree to be relevant to the subject you wish to train - so you could probably go for Business Studies, maybe Economics. Others will accept just having a decent A-level grade in the subject, however they will usually want you to do a SKE to improve your subject knowledge. Check the entry requirements for a few local training providers to get an idea of what they expect.

Employment options after teacher training may be more limited if you're perceived to have a weak background in the subject. For example, say you've trained as a biology teacher with just a B at A-level and an unrelated degree, some schools may not consider that sufficient and so wouldn't consider your application for a job, even if you've successfully completed training as a biology teacher. For some subjects that often struggle to recruit - like maths and computer science - this may be less of an issue than with oversubscribed subjects - like history.
Thank you for the reply. I will have a look at a few training providers to see their criteria.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (312)
57.88%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (76)
14.1%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (60)
11.13%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (45)
8.35%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
4.82%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.71%

Watched Threads