Hi guys, UCAT 3020 Band3 looking for advice on where to apply for medicine :)

Watch
MedWelsh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I know for sure ill apply to Cardiff and Bristol but need some advice on where else to apply, the Band 3 in SJT is my main cause for caution, i was considering applying to kings or BARTs but I think they use the sjt.
any suggestions are very apriciated

My A level predicted are A*A*A and GCSEs are 10A*s 2Bs (B in english language) Decent personal statement too. Thanks in advance.
AnnaBananana
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Are you planning to sit the BMAT? I’m just thinking that with your gcses and predicted grades, the BMAT could open up more choices like UCL/imperial/Cambridge/etc
Last edited by AnnaBananana; 4 weeks ago
MedWelsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by AnnaBananana)
Are you planning to sit the BMAT? I’m just thinking that with your gcses and predicted grades, the BMAT could open up more choices like UCL/imperial/Cambridge/etc
Honestly, the bmat seems quite daughnting especially since you wont know your results until after the aplication deadline. I was thinking applying to 4 ucat unis might be a safer option. What do you think?
AnnaBananana
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MedWelsh)
Honestly, the bmat seems quite daughnting especially since you wont know your results until after the aplication deadline. I was thinking applying to 4 ucat unis might be a safer option. What do you think?
I think it’s worth doing a couple of past papers and seeing what you think.

Basically the band 3 would make it difficult at some unis - but you have fabulous stats so it would be shame for your choices to be restricted, the BMAT could open up some more options.

I got a decent ucat and applied strategically, I was pretty confident of getting interviews for my ucat choices so decided to have a try at BMAT. I actually found the format of the BMAT a lot more straightforward than the ucat, mainly I just needed to go over some gcse physics stuff as I hadn’t looked at it for a while.

There’s quite a few unis that your band 3 wouldnt affect your outcome too much - you do have choices without taking the BMAT. But it would take a couple of hours to have a look at past papers - it could open up more options 🤷
Last edited by AnnaBananana; 4 weeks ago
hungrysalamander
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OP you don’t have to take the BMAT unless you’re aiming for a specific BMAT university. Your score is in the top UCAT decile and there are many options for your SJT score.
Newcastle always has a high UCAT cutoff so it could be a good choice. QMUL uses the SJT in your interview score but your stats can compensate for that. Sheffield has a high UCAT cutoff as well. Glasgow doesn’t use the SJT but they have limited RUK places. KCL could also be an option although they give a higher weighing to people with band1/2.
MedWelsh
Rep:
?
I think it’s worth doing a couple of past papers and seeing what you think.

Basically the band 3 would make it difficult at some unis - but you have fabulous stats so it would be shame for your choices to be restricted, the BMAT could open up some more options.

I got a decent ucat and applied strategically, I was pretty confident of getting interviews for my ucat choices so decided to have a try at BMAT. I actually found the format of the BMAT a lot more straightforward than the ucat, mainly I just needed to go over some gcse physics stuff as I hadn’t looked at it for a while.

There’s quite a few unis that your band 3 wouldnt affect your outcome too much - you do have choices without taking the BMAT. But it would take a couple of hours to have a look at past papers - it could open up more options 🤷
Cool, thanks for the advice, ill definetly have a look
MedWelsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
OP you don’t have to take the BMAT unless you’re aiming for a specific BMAT university. Your score is in the top UCAT decile and there are many options for your SJT score.
Newcastle always has a high UCAT cutoff so it could be a good choice. QMUL uses the SJT in your interview score but your stats can compensate for that. Sheffield has a high UCAT cutoff as well. Glasgow doesn’t use the SJT but they have limited RUK places. KCL could also be an option although they give a higher weighing to people with band1/2.
Thank you looks like some good options.
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Manchester is a good option for op as well, but those with band 1 and 2 are given priority
MedWelsh
Rep:
?
(Original post by spectrum84)
Manchester is a good option for op as well, but those with band 1 and 2 are given priority
Ah cool, do you know what they mean by "priority"? Im not too sure if i'd get an interview there? thanks
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by MedWelsh)
Ah cool, do you know what they mean by "priority"? Im not too sure if i'd get an interview there? thanks
Yeah it basically means those with band 1 and 2 will be higher on the interview/offer list than those with band 3.

Why do u feel that way? U meet all the academic requirements, and band 3 won't result in an outright rejection, u will still be considered.
Strawberry33
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Could you tell me what unis are the best choices for me to apply with my stats?
Predictions: 4 A*s
GCSEs: 9999999988
UCAT: 2920 Band 3
Vr- 510
Ar- 860
Qr- 860
Dm- 690
I am also planning on taking the BMAT for UCL and Imperial
Work experience: volunteering at the hospital, virtual gp placement, virtual clinic placement, and volunteering at the charity shop
I have also attended super curricular courses for medicine at different
unis
I am thinking of applying at -
- University of Glasgow
- Dundee University
- Kings College London
- Birmingham
- Newcastle
- Qmul
Thank you!
Last edited by Strawberry33; 4 weeks ago
spectrum84
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Strawberry33)
Could you tell me what unis are the best choices for me to apply with my stats?
Predictions: 4 A*s
GCSEs: 9999999988
UCAT: 2920 Band 3
Vr- 510
Ar- 860
Qr- 860
Dm- 690
I am also planning on taking the BMAT for UCL and Imperial
Work experience: volunteering at the hospital, virtual gp placement, virtual clinic placement, and volunteering at the charity shop
I have also attended super curricular courses for medicine at different
unis
I am thinking of applying at -
- University of Glasgow
- Dundee University
- Kings College London
- Birmingham
- Newcastle
- Qmul
Thank you!
U should post ur stats on the which med school thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (296)
57.59%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (72)
14.01%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (57)
11.09%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (43)
8.37%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.06%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
3.89%

Watched Threads