Girlbyeee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Can someone please help me with this question and what i can put in to get full marks?

“The challenges to teleological arguments are unsuccessful” Evaluate this view (30)
Kittymity
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You could contradict the statement and say they are successful and Here are a few points you could include:

• Aquinas assumes that things in the natural world have a regularity, are driven forward by something intelligent, and are aimed at a goal… (Remind me of the subtle difference between this and what Paley is saying) Can you think of any reasons why he may be wrong?
  • But perhaps the natural world is just the way it is. Perhaps the apparent purpose is not given by a designer? Is there any evidence for this?
  • Swinburne points out that when Aquinas says, “everything in the natural world that does not think for itself heads towards its goal or purpose because it is directed by something which does think” he may be mistaken. Aquinas is making an assumption about it being God who imposes regularity upon the universe.
Specific to Kant
  • Kant emphasised that the design argument depended on the assumption that there is design in the universe… The argument is based on the assumption that there is regularity, order, and purpose in the universe.
  • Kant argued that the universe may be in chaos but because of the way in which our minds organise our experiences, the world around us appears to be ordered. We impose the design of the world ourselves, and cannot be certain of the reality of the situation.

Hume:
  • In his lifetime he was famous as a historian
  • His ‘Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion was published in 1779
  • Natural Theology’ is a phrase we use to describe any philosophical argument that tries to use reason to prove the existence of God.
  • Hume did accept it was more PROBABLE that the universe was designed and that there is a designer but he did not necessarily think that designer is God.
  • Actually nowadays we would call Hume an atheist, but he did not refer to himself as one in his own time

Also If there is order in the world, there are lots of different ways to explain it. Doesn't have to be teleological e.g. use other arguments to explain how they are better which also shows that you understand all of your course content as you are pulling from different aspects.

If you think they are successful just explain the teleological argument and explain why it works? Like, argue for the argument. Think from the philosopher POV and why did he think it worked?

Sorry, it's a lot of information, but hope it helps!
Girlbyeee
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Kittymity)
You could contradict the statement and say they are successful and Here are a few points you could include:

• Aquinas assumes that things in the natural world have a regularity, are driven forward by something intelligent, and are aimed at a goal… (Remind me of the subtle difference between this and what Paley is saying) Can you think of any reasons why he may be wrong?
  • But perhaps the natural world is just the way it is. Perhaps the apparent purpose is not given by a designer? Is there any evidence for this?
  • Swinburne points out that when Aquinas says, “everything in the natural world that does not think for itself heads towards its goal or purpose because it is directed by something which does think” he may be mistaken. Aquinas is making an assumption about it being God who imposes regularity upon the universe.
Specific to Kant
  • Kant emphasised that the design argument depended on the assumption that there is design in the universe… The argument is based on the assumption that there is regularity, order, and purpose in the universe.
  • Kant argued that the universe may be in chaos but because of the way in which our minds organise our experiences, the world around us appears to be ordered. We impose the design of the world ourselves, and cannot be certain of the reality of the situation.

Hume:
  • In his lifetime he was famous as a historian
  • His ‘Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion was published in 1779
  • Natural Theology’ is a phrase we use to describe any philosophical argument that tries to use reason to prove the existence of God.
  • Hume did accept it was more PROBABLE that the universe was designed and that there is a designer but he did not necessarily think that designer is God.
  • Actually nowadays we would call Hume an atheist, but he did not refer to himself as one in his own time

Also If there is order in the world, there are lots of different ways to explain it. Doesn't have to be teleological e.g. use other arguments to explain how they are better which also shows that you understand all of your course content as you are pulling from different aspects.

If you think they are successful just explain the teleological argument and explain why it works? Like, argue for the argument. Think from the philosopher POV and why did he think it worked?

Sorry, it's a lot of information, but hope it helps!
Omgg thank you so much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (285)
57.69%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (68)
13.77%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (53)
10.73%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.5%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.05%

Watched Threads