velaris08
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If anyone could help me out with this - attached the sol bank answer below, the q is to find the exact value of f(x) using substitution and give the answer in form 2^q * p. I used the substitution u = sqrt(2-x) - attaching my working below too. Can someone show me where I've got wrong?
Attached files
Last edited by velaris08; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Did you change the limits?
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
MatureLikeManure
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mqb2766)
Did you changed the limits?
thats because the limit does not exist
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by velaris08)
If anyone could help me out with this - attached the sol bank answer below, the q is to find the exact value of f(x) using substitution and give the answer in form 2^q * p. I used the substitution u = sqrt(2-x) - attaching my working below too. Can someone show me where I've got wrong?
Can you post what you did?
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
as per above suggestion, it doesn't look like you've changed your x limits into equivalent u limits
(Original post by MatureLikeManure)
thats because the limit does not exist
That doesn't make sense, unless you're trying to make a joke?
velaris08
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Did you change the limits?
Don’t get why I’d need to? I know the answer does but I can’t lie, don’t get why they did…
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don’t get why I’d need to? I know the answer does but I can’t lie, don’t get why they did…
Youve transformed the integration variable from x to u. The original limits are in terms of x, you need to transform them as well to represent the corresponding values of u. It should be in your book?

If you notice, in the model solution the limits change from 0->2 to 2->0. This is because of the transformation
u = 2-x
The integration problem is now in terms of u, not x. See the pic at the top of
https://infinityisreallybig.com/2020...f-integration/
The integration (upper) limit is transformed.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 weeks ago
velaris08
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Youve transformed the integration variable from x to u. The original limits are in terms of x, you need to transform them as well to represent the corresponding values of u. It should be in your book?

If you notice, in the model solution the limits change from 0->2 to 2->0. This is because of the transformation
u = 2-x
The integration problem is now in terms of u, not x. See the pic at the top of
https://infinityisreallybig.com/2020...f-integration/
The integration (upper) limit is transformed.
Oh - I thought that we just do that for when we find the area under a curve with parametric equations, not in general? But now I'm looking back - yeah they do say to do that. I remember for the earlier ones with u I was thinking that if u = x then surely we should change the limits as well and then realised that since they're equal the limits are the same and I guess I digested the "equal" more than I did "in this case". Thanks lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
87.32%
No (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise