Littlesomebody
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all,
I’m sitting my English language Question 5 exam very soon. Exam board - AQA. I’m planning on doing the description.
I have a few questions about it though.

I don’t know what the image will be about yet. Im planning to include a character, first person, and many flashbacks. And of course, I’m going to include the image given.
Will this count as a description?
I feel like this will be a story. But i will be describing the image.
Is it a good idea to include a character, a first person narrative and flashbacks then?
Thank you.
englishhopeful98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
wait until you know what it would be
cosmicmoonlight
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
my english teacher helped me go from a 3 to a 7 in english! theres a specific structure she taught us for creative writing although it may not be applicable since i did ocr, but may be still worth considering

drop - 'drop' the reader into a situation, describe whats happening right in that moment
zoom - zoom in closer into a specific thing
shift - shift to somewhere else, either a place or a memory or in ur case, flashbacks
leave - how ur going to finalise ur piece
Sohayb 207
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Littlesomebody)
Hi all,
I’m sitting my English language Question 5 exam very soon. Exam board - AQA. I’m planning on doing the description.
I have a few questions about it though.

I don’t know what the image will be about yet. Im planning to include a character, first person, and many flashbacks. And of course, I’m going to include the image given.
Will this count as a description?
I feel like this will be a story. But i will be describing the image.
Is it a good idea to include a character, a first person narrative and flashbacks then?
Thank you.
lucky for you today at school we learnt how to write a description and its stages; each stage is a paragraph or two (I will write below how many on each):

1) portray the bigger picture; describe the atmosphere - weather, sky, ground, walls, mountains, hills. 1 PARAGRAPH ONLY FOR THIS!

what ever the image shows you have to describe in a wide detail so don't zoom in on many objects but a wide image for e.g: The humid scent of grey weeping clouds...
you have to use many adjectives and something which usually gets the markers is using similes.

2) Zoom in onto an object; 2 paragraphs on 2 different objects - try and relate to everyday objects

For e.g.: its body of so heavenly white brightness

3) Introduce a character (1 paragraph)
based on personality describe the character with :

3-5 physical features

2-4 peices of clothing

2 unique feature e.g scar

movement/ position e.g crouching, slouched

However make sure they fit into the character personality for e.g someone nervous may have amber glowing eyes

4) Character thoughts:1-3 paragraphs (1 paragraph has to be one word for e.g silence) describe a character thoughts and emotions however
SHOW DON'T TELL

unfortunalty i cant provide anymore info on stage 4 because we still have not done it however i think if you enjoy yourslef during the exam you will do great.
Sohayb 207
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sohayb 207)
lucky for you today at school we learnt how to write a description and its stages; each stage is a paragraph or two (I will write below how many on each):

1) portray the bigger picture; describe the atmosphere - weather, sky, ground, walls, mountains, hills. 1 PARAGRAPH ONLY FOR THIS!

what ever the image shows you have to describe in a wide detail so don't zoom in on many objects but a wide image for e.g: The humid scent of grey weeping clouds...
you have to use many adjectives and something which usually gets the markers is using similes.

2) Zoom in onto an object; 2 paragraphs on 2 different objects - try and relate to everyday objects

For e.g.: its body of so heavenly white brightness

3) Introduce a character (1 paragraph)
based on personality describe the character with :

3-5 physical features

2-4 peices of clothing

2 unique feature e.g scar

movement/ position e.g crouching, slouched

However make sure they fit into the character personality for e.g someone nervous may have amber glowing eyes

4) Character thoughts:1-3 paragraphs (1 paragraph has to be one word for e.g silence) describe a character thoughts and emotions however
SHOW DON'T TELL

unfortunalty i cant provide anymore info on stage 4 because we still have not done it however i think if you enjoy yourslef during the exam you will do great.
By the way my structure is for aqa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (214)
56.76%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (50)
13.26%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (42)
11.14%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
8.75%
I haven't started researching yet (22)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
4.24%

Watched Threads