FlamingEye
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
TLDR:
------------------------------------------
I will be free for a whole year most likely until I'm eligible for an Access to HE in IT course. meanwhile, I want to build an ePortfolio and certificates seem to be a good choice (E.g. Microsoft's certificates/exams).

So what reputable programming certificates do you recommend for someone with minimal knowledge of programming (mostly python, I can build a simple calculator or a script that organizes files depending on their extension for example)
Hello,
I live in London, Harrow (just moved to harrow) my current situation goes like this:

I'm 18, and when I was 17 I couldn't finish the BTEC level 3 extended diploma in IT, but still got a pass for the first year because of covid so now I have a subsidiary diploma (60 credit).

I got depressed for a little while, but when I got back on track, I was late to apply to another college and the same college wouldn't accept me for not doing enough work. So my only option at the time was Open University. I applied for the BSc in computer science, and it went well for the first few months. I was getting 80-90/100 on my first 2 assignments and I was pretty happy with it... except it was online so I was so bored and felt like sh!t.

At some point, some family conflict that was boiling reached its melting point, and the house then felt so different. I couldn't focus on anything, it was just too overwhelming to do anything. after some calming down, the family decided that moving to Sweden would be the best option, kinda like a reset button- it's too complicated to explain.

At the time, it was official, we were moving, so all my stress kinda dropped and since I was late for my assignments this time, I felt like there is no use getting back to studying as we will start a new life, with a different education system that is kinder and more forgiving (apparently).

After a month in a half in Sweden trying to find a place to settle, we just couldn't find any affordable place that is right for us- that and we didn't realize how political and different Sweden was in that period (Idk if still is rn), so we were pretty much forced to get to London and instead move to a different area, so we moved to Harrow.

Now I had to see what I can do in terms of education, I checked Open Uni, I was still enrolled but all the assignments are past due. I asked the teacher and they told me of the deferral system, where I can restart the year on a different date and keep some of my progress. now I'm still awaiting further information on this, but this is what I know so far.

I checked with a University that I was going to go to after one year in Open Uni, they told me they cannot accept me with what I have, even for foundation year, and told me that my only option is doing an access course and with it, I can skip foundation year, or re-doing Open Uni and getting accepted to the second year of the Uni I want.

I checked colleges in my area, one that has access course for IT and they told me I'm too young and advised that I redo the BTEC level 3, so I went to the second bigger one, and they told me because my subsidiary diploma is on the old qualification or something it would be "difficult" to enroll for a full 2-year BTEC level 3 extended diploma for some reason and that my only options are doing a different subject (hell naw) or finding a college that is still doing the old qualification, which there isn't as far as I know.
My Options TLDR:
Unless the second college contacts me back telling me they were able to let me do BTEC level 3 IT there, my current options are as follows:
- do a different subject BTEC level 3
- re-do Open Uni first year
- wait until I'm 19 to do the Access to HE course, and meanwhile, build up an ePortfolio for a better chance of acceptance, which is what this post is about- finding the right things to put on my ePortfolio, hence Certificates.

So, what do you think I should do? and if you have any experience with Programming Certificates (E.g. Microsoft's certificates/exams), please let me know. I have no idea where to start looking or what to do for them.

Thank you, kind strangers.
Last edited by FlamingEye; 3 weeks ago
cvgk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/
try london metropolitan university
Tomtide
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
a level student here who's done a lot of research into qualifications for computer science, the wide consensus is that in the fields of cs qualifications do not matter as much as practical experience and a portfolio you can show, a github would be a good place to start, find projects you like and just do them (chess ai? binary tree using turtle?)
cvgk
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you should go to university
businesseconstu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You could possibly apply for a course with a foundation year using your 60 credits as entry. A friend of mine got into their course using 60 Open Uni credits this way.
FlamingEye
Rep:
?
(Original post by cvgk)
https://www.londonmet.ac.uk/
try london metropolitan university
(Original post by cvgk)
I think you should go to university
I tried. It's not possible with what I have.
FlamingEye
Rep:
?
(Original post by businesseconstu)
You could possibly apply for a course with a foundation year using your 60 credits as entry. A friend of mine got into their course using 60 Open Uni credits this way.
I tried exactly that, but was told it's not enough even though I have 60 credit, which is from the btec Subsidiary diploma in Westminster college, not from Open Uni. I couldn't finish open uni.
FlamingEye
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tomtide)
a level student here who's done a lot of research into qualifications for computer science, the wide consensus is that in the fields of cs qualifications do not matter as much as practical experience and a portfolio you can show, a github would be a good place to start, find projects you like and just do them (chess ai? binary tree using turtle?)
I thought so too. I'm applying to access course next year, but do you think I could apply for foundation year with a good portfolio? cause one university told me that they don't accept me through portfolio evidence or whatever so I'm a little skeptical. I'm mostly asking because I read that foundation year generally prepares you better for Uni, so I would much rather foundation year than access course if possible.
cvgk
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by FlamingEye)
I tried. It's not possible with what I have.
If you want to be a developer you can go to bootcamp and open a github account try to make some projects
FlamingEye
Rep:
?
(Original post by cvgk)
If you want to be a developer you can go to bootcamp and open a github account try to make some projects
I want to be a game developer since I was like 11 so yeah. I always been a perfectionist and would often leave things midway because I feel unsatisfied with my work or I add to many ideas, it becomes overwhelming. But I will try for real this time.

The only issue rn is figuring out what to build first. I'm good with python rn so probably something to do with data management or something.

I'm also unsure about bootcamps, since I pretty much read everywhere that they are very ineffective, and that it's better to just blindly do it on your own. do you have any sources explaining why bootcamps are good/know any bootcamps that are good and reputable for beginners?
cvgk
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by FlamingEye)
I want to be a game developer since I was like 11 so yeah. I always been a perfectionist and would often leave things midway because I feel unsatisfied with my work or I add to many ideas, it becomes overwhelming. But I will try for real this time.

The only issue rn is figuring out what to build first. I'm good with python rn so probably something to do with data management or something.

I'm also unsure about bootcamps, since I pretty much read everywhere that they are very ineffective, and that it's better to just blindly do it on your own. do you have any sources explaining why bootcamps are good/know any bootcamps that are good and reputable for beginners?
If you want to be a game developer don't waste your time with data focus on game programming there are a lot of tutorials on youtube for game developers learn basics after find a course and start it.
FlamingEye
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cvgk)
If you want to be a game developer don't waste your time with data focus on game programming there are a lot of tutorials on youtube for game developers learn basics after find a course and start it.
this is what I want to do. but I thought I wouldn't really get to have a good quality demo in one year and that I should focus on easier things. you think it's realistically possible for me to get out a good demo within 8-10 month?

Edit: I have the udemy Unity 2D game course from GameDev.TV, and a friend of mine also started doing pixel art is happy to help me with making a game if she is free
Last edited by FlamingEye; 2 weeks ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Certifications are on the whole ********. The only certifications that really have any credibility in the current market are AWS.
JohnJ97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Bootcamps and coding clubs can be an option to gain some knowledge and hands on experience. I came across a coding article, which has some coding clubs who actively promote their range of courses and workshops. https://www.twinkl.co.uk/blog/the-be...g-for-children
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads