The Student Room Group

Life is void of all meaning

Scroll to see replies

nothing to add other than I totally agree, slave to money then we die
Original post by savethebears
nothing to add other than I totally agree, slave to money then we die

omg. that is so true. i wish there was an option of living in peace without having to worry about bills, paying rent etc srsly just y
You can pray about it. God listens
Original post by angeladee
You can pray about it. God listens

I've been
I agree with the person who said that what seems so important now wont seem like it when you look back later. Uni education does not dictate either success or happiness or great life experiences. Take a breath , you will find your feet . Swim dont sink . You CAN do it and you will emerge stronger for it
Original post by gjd800
well, I'm a philosophy lecturer, so I care to a point :lol:

this is the best power move ever lmfao
I think you need a vocation and to try to stop seeing it all as a set of arbitrary stages. I agree the school, uni, job process is super arbitrary unless you have a vocation, a goal, a mission. If you really search within yourself, there'll be something you want to do. To achieve. You just don't actually see yourself doing it.
Hey I've been in a similar position and it's brutal but it can get better- but you have to make the choice to make it better.

I ended up feeling lonely, like there was nothing I wanted to do, university courses were unappealing and seemed useless, I was dreading just getting a job to pay bills and end up hating my job and life even more. I felt like my relationships and friendships were crap and I didn't know how things would get better.

But they did. I didn't take the conventional route. I tried it, I went to uni, I got a decently paid office job afterwards and I absolutely HATED it!! I quit my job and retrained in a job related to a childhood hobby. And now I enjoy my job, I've met great people through it, it's opened up opportunities the actually look enjoyable to me. I still don't know where life will take me but I feel optimistic about it.

You don't need to have it all planned, because god knows you change as a person and in 5 or 10 years might want different things but if you make decisions that make you happy I don't think you can go far wrong. Don't come up with a master plan. Don't worry if stuff looks impressive. Just put yourself out there and try things- even if you just get a menial job that you don't want forever, it isn't forever and you can see what bits of it you do and don't like.

Nothing is permanent in life, including feeling like you have no passion and purpose
Original post by Anonymous
Hey I've been in a similar position and it's brutal but it can get better- but you have to make the choice to make it better.

I ended up feeling lonely, like there was nothing I wanted to do, university courses were unappealing and seemed useless, I was dreading just getting a job to pay bills and end up hating my job and life even more. I felt like my relationships and friendships were crap and I didn't know how things would get better.

But they did. I didn't take the conventional route. I tried it, I went to uni, I got a decently paid office job afterwards and I absolutely HATED it!! I quit my job and retrained in a job related to a childhood hobby. And now I enjoy my job, I've met great people through it, it's opened up opportunities the actually look enjoyable to me. I still don't know where life will take me but I feel optimistic about it.

You don't need to have it all planned, because god knows you change as a person and in 5 or 10 years might want different things but if you make decisions that make you happy I don't think you can go far wrong. Don't come up with a master plan. Don't worry if stuff looks impressive. Just put yourself out there and try things- even if you just get a menial job that you don't want forever, it isn't forever and you can see what bits of it you do and don't like.

Nothing is permanent in life, including feeling like you have no passion and purpose

Happy 4 u
I'm pushing thru let's see where I get😫🙏
Not going to university is just inconvenient. The problem is larger than that but, you seem to have missed it

What's the problem? What's making your life void?
My education is ruined. University is not an option anymore. Even if it was I don't feel 100% attached to any course anyway. I don't enjoy anything. I cannot conjure any genuine interest in anything. I only have two friends. I can't see any meaning in anything that extends past a superficial desire to get a good job that I can't envision myself caring about anyway. I viewed A-levels and university as an in-between for a final destination that I thought would be completely devoid of all meaning. i can't get around this feeling and now I'm am going to have to get a pointless, menial job instead of going to university. But, "that's what everyone does" Yeah, a great reason for doing something that is. I don't know what to do and this thread will probably be taken down in case it 'triggers' someone else whatever tf that means. So no actual feedback and even if this gets to people on TSR and not some 'helper forum' I don't see any of you have the answer. However, I'm writing this so some part of me must think the opposite. As iI said, I have no idea what to do.

There are plenty of jobs which non uni people do which are not "menial" and pay way more than starting grad salaries

If you were that bothered about going to uni you would have got the grades first time round
Still plenty of options, go to careers, redo a levels, learn a trade
Make a shortlist of what skills you do have etc
The world is your Oyster
You are still young as well so you have ample time to figure it out

Quick Reply

Latest