RachelRambo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm predicted triple A star in Business, Economics and Maths A Level and am also doing an EPQ on the financial crash that I am expected an A in. I got all 8's/9's in a state school (albeit a pretty good one) and have had multiple work experiences (mostly virtual) with firms such as SJP, HSBC and LIBF. I have also read extensively around economics but am still wondering whether picking both business and economics will stop me getting into a Uni like Warwick and Oxford where I am looking. I didn't realise that many uni;s do not like this when I picked these subjects. Should I set my goals lower? Help!
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Check the entry requirements carefully for any excluded subjects or combinations of subjects.
If it isnt clear or you cant find the info, just email the Uni admissions office and ask. They wont mind, and it saves you wasting a choice.

In terms of 'strategy', you have top grades so assuming you can write a good PS, having three or even four top grade choices would be entirely sensible. Just make sure you have at least one AAB type choice as a sensible back up and potential Insurance choice.
lol.yolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RachelRambo)
but am still wondering whether picking both business and economics will stop me getting into a Uni like Warwick and Oxford where I am looking. I didn't realise that many uni;s do not like this when I picked these subjects
Do you mean you're applying for both business, and economics courses, or is it a joint honours business/econ? I have heard that joint honours are more competitive, this will probably effect you most if applying to Oxford as this is already a hugely competitive uni.
If you intended to apply for two different (single hons) degrees your main challenge will be writing a personal statement appropriate for both, though the subjects aren't wildly different so you can link between the two.

However your predicted grades are all really good and you have some great work experience which you can work into a PS so I'm sure those unis would love the sound of you!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm predicted triple A star in Business, Economics and Maths A Level and am also doing an EPQ on the financial crash that I am expected an A in. I got all 8's/9's in a state school (albeit a pretty good one) and have had multiple work experiences (mostly virtual) with firms such as SJP, HSBC and LIBF. I have also read extensively around economics but am still wondering whether picking both business and economics will stop me getting into a Uni like Warwick and Oxford where I am looking. I didn't realise that many uni;s do not like this when I picked these subjects. Should I set my goals lower? Help!
Go for it.

Which subject(s) do you want to read? PPE? E&M? You meet the requirements for both at Oxford. For others, check the admissions requirements, but I suspect that it's not an issue. Good luck.
RachelRambo
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Check the entry requirements carefully for any excluded subjects or combinations of subjects.
If it isnt clear or you cant find the info, just email the Uni admissions office and ask. They wont mind, and it saves you wasting a choice.

In terms of 'strategy', you have top grades so assuming you can write a good PS, having three or even four top grade choices would be entirely sensible. Just make sure you have at least one AAB type choice as a sensible back up and potential Insurance choice.
Warwick recommends you don't take both- a bit late for that! Thank you for your advice though.
RachelRambo
Rep:
?
(Original post by lol.yolo)
Do you mean you're applying for both business, and economics courses, or is it a joint honours business/econ? I have heard that joint honours are more competitive, this will probably effect you most if applying to Oxford as this is already a hugely competitive uni.
If you intended to apply for two different (single hons) degrees your main challenge will be writing a personal statement appropriate for both, though the subjects aren't wildly different so you can link between the two.

However your predicted grades are all really good and you have some great work experience which you can work into a PS so I'm sure those unis would love the sound of you!
Thank you for your backing! I am planning on taking economics or economics with something else (such as management) at uni but do both business and economics a levels which I have only recently discovered is not recommended. Thank you for your response and encouragement.
RachelRambo
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Go for it.

Which subject(s) do you want to read? PPE? E&M? You meet the requirements for both at Oxford. For others, check the admissions requirements, but I suspect that it's not an issue. Good luck
I am thinking of E&M but am unsure currently. I will check admissions requirements- thank you!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am thinking of E&M but am unsure currently. I will check admissions requirements- thank you!
"Just" do well on the TSA and you should get an interview. Good luck.
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oxford's BA Economics & Management course might be difficult to get into without further maths let alone your combination of economics and business. Then the issue with PPE is that you've studied neither politics nor philosophy so might be difficult to convince them of your interest in studying it at degree level.

I reckon you might have a chance at Warwick due to your good grades despite the subjects, I would be worth also applying to UCL as it's better than Warwick and doesn't explicitly require further maths. Beyond this, I'd definitely recommend applying to at least one of the tier 2 unis as a backup (e.g. Bristol, Durham, Nottingham or Bath).
RachelRambo
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
"Just" do well on the TSA and you should get an interview. Good luck.
Thank you!
RachelRambo
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
Oxford's BA Economics & Management course might be difficult to get into without further maths let alone your combination of economics and business. Then the issue with PPE is that you've studied neither politics nor philosophy so might be difficult to convince them of your interest in studying it at degree level.

I reckon you might have a chance at Warwick due to your good grades despite the subjects, I would be worth also applying to UCL as it's better than Warwick and doesn't explicitly require further maths. Beyond this, I'd definitely recommend applying to at least one of the tier 2 unis as a backup (e.g. Bristol, Durham, Nottingham or Bath).
Thank you for your advice. I am looking at Kings College and UCL as backups currently. Thank you for your thoughts!
BenRyan99
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your advice. I am looking at Kings College and UCL as backups currently. Thank you for your thoughts!
UCL is very strong for economics, King's College London less so.

Personally I'd avoid KCL, its economics course is only a few years old so isn't particularly established. It doesn't actually have it's own economics department as far as I'm aware, it's got a department for political economy and their business school and I think economics is taught partially between the two. Whereas most of the other second tier unis I mentioned in my previous post, have large established economics departments.

Don't get me wrong, KCL is a strong uni, has a great location and places fairly well into the finance industry (if that's what you're interested in). It's just economics isn't one of the subjects it is particularly good at, its reputation is built more on subjects like law and medicine. Although if you're interested in studying political economy, then LSE and King's are good places to go. So king's is only really a big issue if you actually want to work in economics, it's not a big issue if you wanna work in finance or various other industries.
Last edited by BenRyan99; 3 weeks ago
RachelRambo
Rep:
?
(Original post by BenRyan99)
UCL is very strong for economics, King's College London less so.

Personally I'd avoid KCL, its economics course is only a few years old so isn't particularly established. It doesn't actually have it's own economics department as far as I'm aware, it's got a department for political economy and their business school and I think economics is taught partially between the two. Whereas most of the other second tier unis I mentioned in my previous post, have large established economics departments.

Don't get me wrong, KCL is a strong uni, has a great location and places fairly well into the finance industry (if that's what you're interested in). It's just economics isn't one of the subjects it is particularly good at, its reputation is built more on subjects like law and medicine. Although if you're interested in studying political economy, then LSE and King's are good places to go. So king's is only really a big issue if you actually want to work in economics, it's not a big issue if you wanna work in finance or various other industries.
I am looking at a career in finance and really like the KCL course, hence my interest there. They both have the same A*AA requirements so I think applying to both may be my best option. Thank you so much for your insights on the two as I am still undecided and any advice is appreciated!
DeBeauvoir2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It is absolutely fine to have not studied the subjects at A-level, as it says on the course page. Of course you should still be able to demonstrate interest - but I think if you genuinely are interested it is not too hard. They even say it isn't a disaster if your personal statement only covers two of the three subjects.

"871 applicants (74% of those with A-Levels) offered at least one A-Level in either Philosophy,
Politics/Government, or Economics. Of the 161 applicants offering A-Levels who were awarded
places, 114 (71%) had at least one of these subjects. Economics was the most popular of these
subjects. It was offered by 714 applicants of those studying A-Levels (61%) and by 86 (53%) of those
awarded places. Politics/Government was offered by 331 applicants, and Philosophy by 55
applicants. 8 applicants offered A-Levels in all three subjects."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise