Prigrusha
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
As I got Cs on GCSE and 2250 on my UCAT I don't have many choices for medicine. So I was debating whether I should apply for Biomed and do grad entry med or take a gap year and apply for medicine.
DaQuestioner
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Prigrusha)
As I got Cs on GCSE and 2250 on my UCAT I don't have many choices for medicine. So I was debating whether I should apply for Biomed and do grad entry med or take a gap year and apply for medicine.
What are your predicted A Level grades? Don't worry as you can also take the BMAT which is in November, and then apply to universities which use BMAT and do not focus on GCSE attainment much.
SkiWoTB
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't do a Biomed degree with the sole purpose of applying for GEM - its much more difficult and imo a waste of your time.
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Always choose to take a gap year. Applying for GEM is more competitive, ur best chance of getting in is to take a gap year and reapply for undergrad
Prigrusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by DaQuestioner)
What are your predicted A Level grades? Don't worry as you can also take the BMAT which is in November, and then apply to universities which use BMAT and do not focus on GCSE attainment much.
I haven't got the predicted grades. But i don't really want to do BMAT.
Prigrusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by SkiWoTB)
Don't do a Biomed degree with the sole purpose of applying for GEM - its much more difficult and imo a waste of your time.
But there would still be a chance for me to go to medicine right?
Prigrusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by spectrum84)
Always choose to take a gap year. Applying for GEM is more competitive, ur best chance of getting in is to take a gap year and reapply for undergrad
But taking a gap year doesn't change the fact I still have low GCSEs right? and I have to do the UCAT again?
spectrum84
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But taking a gap year doesn't change the fact I still have low GCSEs right? and I have to do the UCAT again?
No it won't change that but neither will applying for grad med
Yes u would have to redo the UCAT but the advantage is u don't have to get as high UCAT as an undergrad to get an interview, grads are expected to get 3000+ and u'll also have to do the GAMSAT.
There's loads of unis that don't put much emphasis on GCSE and they're not all expecting A*A*A like Cambridge.

Take as many gap years as u need, u have a much better chance of getting into med as an undergrad rather than a grad
Effyd123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why dont you do research into unis. Some are not so particular abt the UCAT... In liverpool i think a student got in with a UCAT of 1700....
hungrysalamander
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I haven't got the predicted grades. But i don't really want to do BMAT.
The BMAT might be your only option if you want to get into medicine for 2022.

But there would still be a chance for me to go to medicine right?
You're competing with people who have phd's or lots of experience in other healthcare fields so it would be even more competitive.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Effyd123)
Why dont you do research into unis. Some are not so particular abt the UCAT... In liverpool i think a student got in with a UCAT of 1700....
Liverpool has a either a 75/25 or 50/50 weighing for GCSE/UCAT, I think they changed it recently so I'm not 100% sure about which one they're using this year.
Prigrusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Effyd123)
but they look at GCSE
Effyd123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ye thats true... Soz hadnt read the full question
Prigrusha
Rep:
?
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Liverpool has a either a 75/25 or 50/50 weighing for GCSE/UCAT, I think they changed it recently so I'm not 100% sure about which one they're using this year.
they weigh on GCSE
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (17)
56.67%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
10%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (4)
13.33%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
3.33%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
6.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads