Can Mods read my private messages? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Sam2k
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
When you register the password is encytped using MD5 so the password A or D can see is just lots of hash keys that mean nothing to a human. This means they cannot login into your account.

The only people who can read PMs are A and D is this because they have top level access to the raw database. Making sense of the raw database data can also be quite hard.

The whole point of PMs is that they are private.
If a database query is run they can be read in plain english.
wιzard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
Nope.
If they have the link (from A) then..
pm.php :rolleyes:
wιzard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
That's a hack, not a standard part of vB. I assume you're reading your users' PMs then
I can do it, and I don't hide it.

As you said, A, who has the same permissions with me (in my forum), can do it too.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pig)
You saved those queries I gave you then...
I haven't tried yet, but they're still saved in the conversation history.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
On this style of bulletin board, Mods and/or Admin cannot read your private messages. They are, however, able to see how many messages users have in their Inbox and Sent Mail (see attachment). The only way they can read your Private Messages is by changing your password.

Edit: People are saying Admin can, I can't see it in Admin's options?
Attached files
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
On this style of bulletin board, Mods and/or Admin cannot read your private messages. They are, however, able to see how many messages users have in their Inbox and Sent Mail (see attachment). The only way they can read your Private Messages is by changing your password.

Edit: People are saying Admin can, I can't see it in Admin's options?
They can't, I have full admin options and it's not there. You need a hack and server access.
Sam2k
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
They can't, I have full admin options and it's not there. You need a hack and server access.
The hack is one way. The other way is to be able to run queries.

This shows you the pm's that a person has sent.
Query:
SELECT * FROM pmtext WHERE fromuserid = X
TK
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by koldtoast)
Thank god, i was swapping xrated messages with some ladies on here
r u related to daz?
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ollie)
They can't, I have full admin options and it's not there.
Then why did you say A can? And why did Daveo, Lou & Mr White say Admin can?
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Then why did you say A can? And why did Daveo, Lou & Mr White say Admin can?
A can because he has direct access to the database.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can PMs be used as evidence in a Court of Law? :eek:

NB. Any references to killings or random psychotic acts are meant purely in the humour and context of the TSR internet forum. In no way can this be construed as a true representation of the facts.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Can PMs be used as evidence in a Court of Law? :eek:

NB. Any references to killings or random psychotic acts are meant purely in the humour and context of the TSR internet forum. In no way can this be construed as a true representation of the facts.
Lets hope so.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Lets hope so.
You shouldn't have let them escape again.
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This is an interesting topic. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to read PMs unless either the sender or the recipient has given permission, either express or implied - perhaps via something in the T's and C's. I think it comes under the same legal umbrella as a sysadmin reading e-mail between people on his system.
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
This is an interesting topic. I'm pretty sure it's illegal to read PMs unless either the sender or the recipient has given permission, either express or implied - perhaps via something in the T's and C's. I think it comes under the same legal umbrella as a sysadmin reading e-mail between people on his system.
So, was A acting illegally when he dismissed Mr White as moderator?
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Dr_Death)
So, was A acting illegally when he dismissed Mr White as moderator?
I'm not accusing anyone of anything, that was my guess at the legality of reading PMs, I'm no lawyer... I wasn't even aware A had read any PMs.
Daveo
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not accusing anyone of anything, that was my guess at the legality of reading PMs, I'm no lawyer... I wasn't even aware A had read any PMs.
That was the basis of Mr White's demotion.
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm an engineer, not a lawyer too. And I didn't read the T&C, so I don't know... but rumour has it that A looked at Mr White's PMs and found out the reason he wanted to be moderator was less than altruistic - or something - I don't know the details.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
That was the basis of Mr White's demotion.
Oh OK, I didn't know that he was demoted on the grounds of PMs. Looks like I missed that.
Dyakson
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh OK, I didn't know that he was demoted on the grounds of PMs. Looks like I missed that.
I thought there was an underground network that kept all the mods up-to-date on everything that happens everywhere? I.e. the Mod forum, and Twinkle-toes' Help Association?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1617)
79.19%
Leave (425)
20.81%

Watched Threads