any other teetotal freshers this year?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
just wondering if there's anyone else who is a teetotaller starting uni? i feel alone.

i dont drink for several reasons including religion and previously living in an alcohol abusive household (before the comments come in)

does anyone have any clue on how to make friends without going out to pubs and clubs? i'm also a "mature" student starting out at 25.
lkjhgfdsabbie
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
just wondering if there's anyone else who is a teetotaller starting uni? i feel alone.

i dont drink for several reasons including religion and previously living in an alcohol abusive household (before the comments come in)

does anyone have any clue on how to make friends without going out to pubs and clubs? i'm also a "mature" student starting out at 25.
Hi there! I'm also a 25yo mature student who doesn't like to drink for the same reason (household/family background)... Which uni are you studying at?
Last edited by lkjhgfdsabbie; 3 weeks ago
ashtolga23
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I only started having the odd drink very recently and my boyfriend is teetotal. We both start at Durham next week.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lkjhgfdsabbie)
Hi there! I'm also a 25yo mature student who doesn't like to drink for the same reason (household/family background)... Which uni are you studying at?
I'm at Dundee
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am also teetotal, because I am a Christian of the Seventh Day Adventist denomination. People of that denomination usually try to stay sober or teetotal until Jesus Christ comes back. I am starting university at DMU in October 2022.
ButteryToast
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hiii, I stopped drinking 5 years ago (for various reasons such as saving money, I just didn't really see the point, my hangovers were terrible, etc, etc) and am applying as a mature student (30!) to university next autumn.All my friends still drank when I was quitting and we'd still meet in bar and pubs from time to time, but I started to use that time to explore some activities I'd wanted to try for a while. I took up climbing and I made new friends through that. So perhaps looking at some groups your university offers which could be a nice way of meeting people?I was 21 when I did my first BA and there were so many students on my course who didn't drink, or drank very little. One of the nights in my first week instead of heading to the freshers parties a group of us stayed in and watched movies. It may seem quite daunting now, but you will meet people. I don't have any stats on it, but I'd imagine you are not the only one who doesn't want to do the pubs and clubs!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, check to see if your unis going any daytime events during freshers week - I’ve met many people this week from different ages and quite a few that don’t drink. If not join a society
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hey, how are you?

I didn't really drink when I was a student and didn't go to any of the club/pub events at Freshers, I didn't feel like I was missing out and there were still plenty of opportunities to make friends! I know at my Freshers there were daytime events such as tea parties, freebie stalls outside.. Here at Bradford we also have fun things like movie nights, city trips, days out to Alton Towers, shopping trips - I'm sure your university will have a wide variety of events to get involved in so don't worry

Have you also thought about joining a club or society as a way of meeting new people? Or perhaps becoming a student ambassador and getting involved in activities and events on campus which is also a fab way of making friends!

Good luck with your uni experience, wishing you the best

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads