star_symbol
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hey guys I'm currently in Year 13 studying English Literature, Biology and Psychology along with an EPQ.

I am really stuck on choosing what to study for University. It has always been a lifelong dream to study English during Year 10, 11 and 12 but now I want to do something Psychology/Biology related. I feel like my joy for English has gone. I don't know why, I still love reading but I just feel like..."How is annotating poems going to help me in the future?"And for some WEIRD reason I feel like I cannot form a basic sentence at ALL anymore. My academic style of analysing texts has just vanished?

I'm good at anything I choose to study, I just want to ENJOY it.

At first I was thinking of going into Law, however I feel like I wouldn't truly be passionate about it. My heart is secretly set on doing a Psychology and Philosophy degree, but where on earth would that take me? What jobs/careers could I do with this? Could I get into neuroscience?

Then I think, could I do criminology? I don't know what job I'd get into with that either.

OR I could do Biology. I don't know guys and I need to choose ASAP since Im applying for Oxford, my personal statement needs to be in by October.
Imamess
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by star_symbol)
Hey guys I'm currently in Year 13 studying English Literature, Biology and Psychology along with an EPQ.

I am really stuck on choosing what to study for University. It has always been a lifelong dream to study English during Year 10, 11 and 12 but now I want to do something Psychology/Biology related. I feel like my joy for English has gone. I don't know why, I still love reading but I just feel like..."How is annotating poems going to help me in the future?"And for some WEIRD reason I feel like I cannot form a basic sentence at ALL anymore. My academic style of analysing texts has just vanished?

At first I was thinking of going into Law, however I feel like I wouldn't truly be passionate about it. My heart is secretly set on doing a Psychology and Philosophy degree, but where on earth would that take me? What jobs/careers could I do with this? Could I get into neuroscience?

Then I think, could I do criminology? I don't know what job I'd get into with that either.

OR I could do Biology. I don't know guys and I need to choose ASAP since Im applying for Oxford, my personal statement needs to be in by October.
U said u like law right and interested in anything so how about sociology and social policy, have a look at that, im not sure if oxford offers it but have a go, or maybe economics, im assuming ur good at maths and this course involves essay writing so u can pursue ur writing year 10 11 12 dream. Good luck with ur application
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I want to do something Psychology/Biology related.

Psychology and Philosophy degree, but where on earth would that take me? What jobs/careers could I do with this? Could I get into neuroscience?

Neuroscience - a very good combination for Bio and Psych interest : https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...-neuroscience/

Psychology - make sure the degree is BPS accredited :https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become...edited-courses
And remember that Psychology is a science at degree level.
Psych and Philosophy - career prospects do not rely on your degree subject, many degrees just 'stretch your brain' and teach you how to think at a higher level and this is what employers value, not the subject knowledge. So you find folk with degrees like Psych, Philosophy, History, English, Sociology, etc in the widest possible range of careers. So, dont focus on career at the moment - just go for a degree that you feel you will enjoy studying.

Criminology - a waste of time. Its just a social science degree with a different name. It might sound glamorous but it wont make you into 'a Criminologist' or a 'Forensic Psychologist' . If you do a Sociology degree you'll be able to include criminology units, and the degree has far more credibility. Example - https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde.../sociology-bsc

There are also lots of other degree subjects that dont have any specific subject requirements - Law, Politics, Film Studies, Anthropology, Social Work, American Studies, Social Policy etc - have a look at this list of degree courses at Sussex for some examples - under each subject you'll also find a wide range of joint-subject courses : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
Tutor Roi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay when it come to career choice, your own desires should be the first priority. For instance, you want to be a psychologist, you can select the course and work on achieving your desired objectives. Not necessarily that you will get a job related to the course but at least you'll have something special that you achieved your goals. Anyway, select psychology and be positive that you may end up getting a career related to that field. Thank you
dreamer_ms
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Hello!

If you're thinking about applying to Oxford, doing a Biology course (or most science related degrees) without Maths is really difficult as most consider it to be an essential subject. If you have a passion for mixing social sciences and bio/psych, have you considered Oxford's Human Sciences course? The entry requirement is AAA and it's a multidisciplinary course which can get you many places in the future. In essence, it's the study of humans scientifically and socially.
According to one of the students' comments under the course it said: “Human Sciences is the perfect course for ever-curious, ‘all-rounders’ who refuse to be pigeonholed into arts vs sciences. Being exposed to such a wide range of subjects, viewpoints, and approaches fosters a diverse skill set invaluable for any future career." I think that suits you perfectly.
Here's the link for the course overview: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...human-sciences

Good luck!
star_symbol
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Neuroscience - a very good combination for Bio and Psych interest : https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...-neuroscience/

Psychology - make sure the degree is BPS accredited :https://www.bps.org.uk/public/become...edited-courses
And remember that Psychology is a science at degree level.
Psych and Philosophy - career prospects do not rely on your degree subject, many degrees just 'stretch your brain' and teach you how to think at a higher level and this is what employers value, not the subject knowledge. So you find folk with degrees like Psych, Philosophy, History, English, Sociology, etc in the widest possible range of careers. So, dont focus on career at the moment - just go for a degree that you feel you will enjoy studying.

Criminology - a waste of time. Its just a social science degree with a different name. It might sound glamorous but it wont make you into 'a Criminologist' or a 'Forensic Psychologist' . If you do a Sociology degree you'll be able to include criminology units, and the degree has far more credibility. Example - https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde.../sociology-bsc

There are also lots of other degree subjects that dont have any specific subject requirements - Law, Politics, Film Studies, Anthropology, Social Work, American Studies, Social Policy etc - have a look at this list of degree courses at Sussex for some examples - under each subject you'll also find a wide range of joint-subject courses : https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
Thank you so so much. I've been doing a LOT of research into Psychology with Criminology, however, I still don't know what career I'd gain from this. Maybe I could go into Law after? Oxford don't offer these two combinations, so I might just do Psychology instead but I still have no idea what I'd do after I finish the degree. I feel like if I do psychology, I then have the option to go into Neuroscience or Law after maybe? I'm scared of choosing to do Law and then hating it, whereas if I do Psychology I know that I'd enjoy it.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Routes into Law : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ors/law-sector
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads